Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ammunition Shortage

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I agree, primers will end up hiking up to $40 bucks a brick when this is all done and over.
    Im hoping Remington primers will be produced again.

Boolit Master
    I checked out G.B. last night just for kicks , and noticed that they have 320 pages of primers listed , so it seems like there are plenty available just at ridiculous prices . It also looks like everyone is cleaning out the old leftover stuff they had around like 40-50 year old primers .
    Be safe

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    And finally, things will get worse, probably for good, so I wouldn’t sell anything that you might ever need in the future.

And ps: there are far fewer outlets(gun shops) around now.
    I'm certainly not selling anything. He who dies with the most ammo (brass, primers) wins.

Sad but true: the Internet is killing the LGS. Around this rural region the only "gun stores" are either small departments in the back of hardware stores, or home-based businesses. Fella in the next town over who'd been doing that tried opening a new standalone store selling guns and hunting supplies about 2 years ago. Last month I bid on some stuff in the liquidation auction. A semi-big-box business called Woodland Outfitters with two locations north of me gave it up about two years ago. That was the last place on this side of the River that actually stocked reloading supplies. Now I'd have to drive to the Cabelas east of Wheeling to buy at retail. Over an hour each way, and they won't have anything anyway, so yeah, I buy from Powder Valley, Grafs, et.al. when I need anything.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Not only is the Internet affecting the LGS, but also the big nation chains. When Gander Mountain opened up here, there were 3-5 LGS within 20 miles of me. GM bought all of them out for exorbitant prices and then moved the inventory from the stores into their store. There are now about 2 LGS within 30 to 40 miles from me.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    I'm certainly not selling anything. He who dies with the most ammo (brass, primers) wins.
    I laughed way to hard at that. I like it. Think it be my next life slogan. Like how basic ...woman... get those Live, Love, Laugh stickers on the wall.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    Shooting is not an inexpensive hobby.
    The only cheap hobby that I can think of is reading books from the library.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    You can down load every new York best seller and book you think of.... for free..... if you know where to look online. I plea the fith... but I do love a nice full book case.

~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    Shooting is not an inexpensive hobby.
    Stick a racing car in your garage, or a couple of horses in your barn, and you'll wish you had stuck to shooting!
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    We keep hearing the US Manufacturers are making all they can 24/7/365; but I am not seeing US manufactured Ammo on any shelves.
    I live about 50 miles from the CCI/Speer plant and my LGS has gotten in primers a couple of times, but they were Federal brand. All the ammo they've gotten in has been either Remington, Hornady, Federal, HSM, or some other small American brand I hadn't heard of before.

I also heard that the CCI/Speer plant has about 100 openings. Talked to someone who knows someone there and you start at $17 an hour, work 12-hour graveyard shifts, and work weekends. That's a young man's game, now. But, you do get to buy ammo and components.

I hear there is a substantial amount of burnout there.
    Last edited by Idaho45guy; 02-28-2021 at 06:15 PM.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    Growing your own food would be a hobby that saves you all kinds of money.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I agree, primers will end up hiking up to $40 bucks a brick when this is all done and over.
    Im hoping Remington primers will be produced again.
    Our club got order of 209s in recently, Winchesters and Cheddites, 125,000 total. We sell to club at cost, but our cost was $33 on Wins, and $27 on the Cheds. Grafs seems to be holding prices on primers.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by la5676 View Post
    Our club got order of 209s in recently, Winchesters and Cheddites, 125,000 total. We sell to club at cost, but our cost was $33 on Wins, and $27 on the Cheds. Grafs seems to be holding prices on primers.
    Glad you are in your situation, great for you. Really mean it. I'm good where I'm at. Feel sorry for those that aren't. Just a situation that those who aren't prepared are suffering. Not much more I can say.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Buddy

Ammunition Shortage

After a about the third shortage I learned not to buy for the LAST shortage, but for the next bigger one.

Back in the 80s I had maybe two boxes of ammo per caliber and just picked up at the store what I needed before going shooting. Then we had an ammo and primer shortage so when it eased up I bought or reloaded 500 rds per caliber.

The next ammo shortage lasted not several months but a couple of years and I was hurting again. So I upped my game afterward to a couple thousand per most used calibers.

Along comes 2008 and after a few family shootfests I am scraping bottom again. After that I wised up and increased to ammo and components for at least 5K rounds of most used calibers and a couple thousand of the less used ones.

A year ago I figured that was enough to last me to the death bed. Now, with the new shortage and maybe a 5-6 yr outlook of likely continued shortage (at best) I am once again re-evaluating my inventories. I will be much more prudent when going to the range. Been helping younger family members but may have to tighten that up some. I will start to shift more shooting sessions to .22LR of which I have lots. Reduce my center fire shooting to conserve for unknown duration.

The good thing is we seem to have millions more new gun owners in the last few years. I am willing to endure shortages if it is partly from vast numbers of new shooters. The politics is what makes everything nervous and unpredictable so purchases skyrocket.

When supplies return I think you hardly can’t stock too deep. Whatever you can imagine likely is nowhere near as dire as the next shortage will be.

What shortage?
    I learned my lesson last time around.
    Rather than put some bucks into silver or in savings, I stocked up on primers, powder, and fmj bullets (.223 and .308)
    I cast for all my pistol caliber bullets.
    More brass than I will use in my lifetime.
    A case of .22's...a lifetime supply.
    Like I said........what shortage?
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    A case of .22's...a lifetime supply.
    Sorry to hear that you’ll be leaving us so soon.

Boolit Buddy
    l read somewhere that current US Ammo production is app 2.5 billion, 40% rimfire. lt seems Copper has gone thru the ROOF. That's LOGICAL. Lead prices seem to be LOW. No LOGIC there!

Also in same read, twas stated WW2 wartime small arms ammo production 1941-1945 was Twenty Billion Rds
    per YEAR
    Last edited by sw282; 03-01-2021 at 10:58 AM.

Boolit Master
    There are no shortages. There are just buyers who pay more than others or they beat you to the store and buy it while you are home sleeping.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    There are no shortages. There are just buyers who pay more than others or they beat you to the store and buy it while you are home sleeping.
    Aint that the truth. I was in California last shortage and hadn't started reloading yet. You had to be at Walmart by 0400 to beat the line. The line was out the store by 0415. They didn't open the sporting good section till 0600.

~Theodore Roosevelt~

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Sorry to hear that you’ll be leaving us so soon.
    The problem is that I can cast and reload center fire pistol rounds for less than I can buy 22's.
    Plus, i don't shoot much .22 anyway.
    Why bother?
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sw282 View Post
    l read somewhere that current US Ammo production is app 2.5 billion, 40% rimfire. lt seems Copper has gone thru the ROOF. That's LOGICAL. Lead prices seem to be LOW. No LOGIC there!

Also in same read, twas stated WW2 wartime small arms ammo production 1941-1945 was Twenty Billion Rds
    per YEAR

Although high and spiking last month or so; Copper is NOT at a historical high. We can look back at prices under the OBUMMER administration and see that Copper was higher in 2012 than is its in 2021. This is probably due to Anti-Mining policies of the Obummers being reactivated under the "Biden it Up" policies which seem to be resurrecting old bad policies.

Attachment 278776
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast