MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Repackbox Load Data
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ammunition Shortage

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    I doubt you'll see $30/1000 after this shortage. I'm guessing that it will be around $37-$38/1000 for CCI/Winchester/Federal/Remington.
    I'm guessing a $100.00 a brick, ever noticed primers are packaged for sell in hundred packs, but we mostly but by the bricks or 1000 pack.with some buying by the case of 5k or more. Lots of ideals and theories why we are in another shortage. All we can do is wait it out,but with 50K members on this site we should be able to come up with a way around this problem.
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 03-01-2021 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Window's spell check thingy messed up the post
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    The problem is that I can cast and reload center fire pistol rounds for less than I can buy 22's.
    Plus, i don't shoot much .22 anyway.
    Why bother?
    Agree, I’m shooting more 38spcl than I am 22lr these days. Still don’t think a case would last me more than a couple years, but it’ll depend how things evolve.

Boolit Master
    I shoot .22’s almost every day of my life. That’s why I always buy some when they are on sale.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    I shoot .22’s almost every day of my life. That’s why I always buy some when they are on sale.
    A couple of years ago I went down the rat hole of trying to determine the best ammo for my .22 rifles (sporters). I tried all the common brands and bullet styles then some if the European and US target styles. Spent most of a year shooting almost all .22. That got me back into enjoying the little cartridge again. Our range has steel .22 silhouettes at various distances which is a lot of fun. As well as the pop cans at the gravel pit. Wish I was out in the country like I grew up in and just shoot in the back yard every day. Plenty of fun and good skill building.

Now I shoot .22 about 1/4 of the time and center fire the rest. Probably start leaning more towards 50/50.

Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    I'm guessing a $100.00 a brick, ever noticed primers are packaged for sell in hundred packs, but we mostly but by the bricks or 1000 pack.with some buying by the case of 5k or more. Lots of ideals and theories why we are in another shortage. All we can do is wait it out,but with 50K members on this site we should be able to come up with a way around this problem.
    Realistically, I'm thinking more along the lines of $60 per Brick. Considering the 3% increase on ammunition for some manufacturers, it most likely is going to be a significant, but not overbearing increase in price.

Boolit Master

When this panic is over, prices will go back down to where they began. Maybe even a bit lower. This is what happens every time. Eventually people will stop buying everything up and there will be a normal supply, even a bit of a surplus.

Boolit Bub
    The sportsman's near me had some primers and ammo come in Saturday morning; I went to get some and by the time I got there it was all gone. The panic buying is still going on sadly. I think when it all finally stops and everyone is sitting on 10k primers, we're going to see a price collapse.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by la5676 View Post
    Our club got order of 209s in recently, Winchesters and Cheddites, 125,000 total. We sell to club at cost, but our cost was $33 on Wins, and $27 on the Cheds. Grafs seems to be holding prices on primers.

My LGS still has bricks of 209 of $39.99. No body seems worried about shotgun primers around here.

Boolit Bub
    If I had to guess, I would think this is going to continue through 2021 and most likely into 2022. If they pass major gun legislation then another year or two after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    When this panic is over, prices will go back down to where they began. Maybe even a bit lower. This is what happens every time. Eventually people will stop buying everything up and there will be a normal supply, even a bit of a surplus.

I agree to a point. Supply will finally catch up demand and after all the hoarders spend every last dollar they have on primers there will be inventory collecting sit on the shelves again. After retailers can move their overly priced inventory the prices will drop again. I wouldn’t expect this to happen for at least 2 years.

I went to farm and fleet yesterday to buy some stain. I checked out the ammo department and there were four boxes of 16 gauge shotgun ammo there and four boxes of 3” 12 gauge steel. Naked shelves. It’s a joke. We caused this stupidity by panic buying and hoarding.

Boolit Grand Master

Those like me who like Tula and Wolf products need to realize that they are imported from Russia - and international trade and politics have more to do with availability than anything else.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by sw282 View Post
    Also in same read, twas stated WW2 wartime small arms ammo production 1941-1945 was Twenty Billion Rds per YEAR
    Those of us with very long memories (or who read history) know that from mid 1942 until end of 1946 there was NO ammunition of ANY kind available for the civilian market, except you could get .22s thru CMP for a govt. certified youth training program, and if you were a farmer you might talk your way into a box of .22LR for pest control from time to time. Police and civilian plant guards got issued a mere trickle of .38 Spl. or shotgun ammo. Not even enough for proficiency training. If you got hired as a cop or a guard it was assumed you already knew how to shoot. Hunters dug out Grampa's old smokepole and relearned the art of the flintlock. (Black powder was still available, but not caps.) Long range varmint shooters who used .22 centerfires, and had stocks of primers and powder laid by, couldn't get bullets, which is why Fred Huntington and others invented tools to make them from spent rimfire hulls. (Copper hulls, not the brass we use today.)
    Cognitive Dissident

I just visited my LGS. No primers on the shelf. I asked if they new of any coming in. I asked about shotgun primers and SP. They had shotgun primers hidden in the back. They had a 500 hundred limit at $5 per hundred. Only went up a $1 per $100 from normal price. I grabbed 500 which will last me a lifetime as all I use them for is my inline muzzle loader. I already have probably 300 or 400 Winchester 209’s if had to guess. I grabbed these to mess around with making BP equivalent loads in my Damascus SXS 10 gauge. Still only 8 and 7 1/2 shot. I need to find 5 or 6 shot locally now so I don’t get gouged from shipping.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 03-02-2021 at 02:07 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Those like me who like Tula and Wolf products need to realize that they are imported from Russia - and international trade and politics have more to do with availability than anything else.
    Obama banned their import in 2014. Trump never changed it.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    which is why Fred Huntington and others invented tools to make them from spent rimfire hulls. (Copper hulls, not the brass we use today.)
    As a teenage I think, that's how Mr. Hornady got going in the early/mid 1940s.
    By making jacketed projectiles from spent .22 cases.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    As a teenage I think, that's how Mr. Hornady got going in the early/mid 1940s.
    By making jacketed projectiles from spent .22 cases.
    https://www.hornady.com/corporate/company-history/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Obama banned their import in 2014. Trump never changed it.
    Now that you mention it. I havent seen Tule or Wolf in a long time.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master
    I wonder if it came to it, that you could ream out the primer pocket area of, say, a 45-70, to where it would take a shotgun primer, so you could at least shoot.

Boolit Master
    Sure, I use shotgun primers in berdan cases that have been opened and recessed.

Boolit Master

Back in WWII, police agencies cast and reloaded ammo for training and carry. That's why various manufacturers, H-G and SAECO made the gang molds.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast