Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Which 9mm mold? Please advise.

Boolit Bub

Which 9mm mold? Please advise.

Since missing out on the last three notifications for a 6 cavity Lee mold, I’m gonna look for something else. I want to cast for 9mm pistols. They are all Smith m&ps. I do not need a dual purpose mold for .357 revolvers. My guns like 124/125 grain bullets.
    I want at least a four cavity mold, though more would be fine. I’ve stated powder coating and will likely stay with it , though lube grooves are ok if I ever wanted to use the lubersizer.
    I have looked at M-P, accurate and maybe one more manufacturer but am a little over whelmed by the different options.
    Could you please tell me what you would recommend and maybe what material , aluminum or steel?
    Thank you for any and all responses.
    David

I thought that I saw someone on here selling an mp-molds 359-125. That is a great mold. I have the nlg version, and with a large hp pin. They shoot great in all of my 9mm’s
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Grand Master

After doing a bit of research , testing and trying different designs this is the 9mm mould I selected .
    NOE 358 - 124 - TC . A 124 grain Truncated Cone . It can be had plain base or gas check , I got a 4 cavity , aluminum , gas check mould . The gas check is for +1000 fps velocity with a rather soft alloy . I also use it in 38 special +P and 357 magnum . I wanted a soft alloy in place of hollow point . I find casting hollow points a pain and in 9mm Luger they don't really preform that well .
    The mould number is 358-124-TC-R4 4 cavity . The aluminum blocks are of a good size and much heavier than I expected ... I'm glad I got this mould and also glad it's not brass ... I'm getting old !
    www.noebulletmoulds.com

Forgot to add , mould #2 would be Lee 356-120-TC which is a plain base design , 120 grain truncated cone with a tiny bevel base . I have the double cavity mould and this one is my choice for plain base boolit casting .
    I used this mould extensively before I got the NOE gas check mould .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 02-26-2021 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Added info. Lee 356-120-TC
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Sorry mate. All I use is the Lee mold you keep missing out on. I used the two cavity one so much I wore the numbers off the blocks and upgraded to the six banger a year ago before all this started.

I havent used any other 9mm molds. Good bullet design and works as good as any other ammo I have used.

Accuracy in 9mm for me is a hand span at 25 yards and dropped steal plates.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ky-Dave View Post
    Could you please tell me what you would recommend and maybe what material , aluminum or steel?
    David
    These days, whatever you can actually get within your parameters - the shortage is real, but keep an eye over at mp-molds.com under the Solids section.

I recently got an 8-cavity 9mm 115gr RN from Miha in aluminum - not my favorite material but his molds are superb anyway and the 8-banger drops a whole lot of boolits fast.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Master
    I load a lot of the Lee 356-120-TC, and it shoots great coated.

Bucket of Hi-Tek gold, and some loaded below.

I also load the Lee 358-125-RF and it works great, as long as you don't mind seating it so the crimp groove shows. I seated some down to 1.030 to hide the crimp groove, but it made be nervous. The 358-125-RF is the green one.

I'm on a group buy for an MP hollow point 9mm of similar profile with no lube groove, but it hasn't closed yet.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Banned
    I bought one of these three years ago for $25 delivered...Almost fell off the chair to see they are going for $70 now. But it is a good mold ...Lots of people like them...I think maybe because they are good in most guns...some guns need that narrower start to the ogive so these fit well.
    LEE TL356-124-2R

Boolit Buddy
    This is a great mold:
    https://arsenalmolds.com/bullet-molds?product_id=150

There are three of these in stock:
    https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...c-5-cavity-pb/

Alternately, I would say, anything in the 124-125g from either Accurate, Arsenal, M-P (Mihec), or NOE that is in stock is likely going to be good.

FWIW, I ordered an NOE mold for 300 BO about two weeks ago, another poster saw it and impulse bought as it was in stock. He got his in five days, I'm still waiting for mine. Likely because USPS hates me.

Lastly- do you have a method of sizing them? Like a push through sizing die? That is a must have.

Boolit Buddy
    oh, and keep trying to get the Lee 356-120 TC. It's worth having in six cavity.

Boolit Master

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/357...e-groove-mold/

In stock. Order it today and you should have it in your hands by Wednesday of next week. If you don't have a set of Lee 6 cavity handles then order handles from MP also.

I have that exact same mold. It's my goto mold for 9mm in close to two dozen different 9mm firearms.

Order it in .359 and just size it down. I prefer Hi-Tek to powder coat for pistol boolits.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Bub
    NOE order placed for a 5 cavity. The Arsenal looked nice also but were out 5-6 weeks.
    I hate that I didn’t see that MP before I ordered , as 8 cavity would be awesome.
    Thanks everyone for their input. I do love this site.
    David

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ky-Dave View Post
    NOE order placed for a 5 cavity. The Arsenal looked nice also but were out 5-6 weeks.
    I hate that I didn’t see that MP before I ordered , as 8 cavity would be awesome.
    Thanks everyone for their input. I do love this site.
    David
    An RFN that is known to feed well in 9mm is worth having as well. No law saying you can't have multiple 9mm molds.