RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Ohaus Lyman M5

Boolit Master

Ohaus Lyman M5

I did some trading with a good friend and ended up with a set of Ohaus Lyman M5 scales. The box is rough but the scales look good, almost unused. He had them for several years and finally decided to let them go. Like most guys here I can find room for another classy set of scales.

Does anyone know what the production years of these scales were ?

Dave

Boolit Master
    they could run from 65 to 95 , dont matter if they are clean
    the m5 and 10-10 are same if it has the weight for 1000gr

Boolit Buddy
    I think the Lyman M5 was about the best reloading scale ever made. Before that time there were some good accurate scales available (and still work very well) but they were either undamped or oil damped. When Ohaus introduced magnetic damping to reloading scales, all other systems became obsolete almost overnight.

M5

The first of the, what you might call 10/10 looking scales with the integral dust cover, I believe was the Ohaus 505. This was a quality scale and set the standard at the time. It had all the features that you would expect in a good scale. Magentic damping and floating agate bearings. They were a sensitive two poise scale weighing to 500 grains - The only down point with these scales is the large pan and wire frame pan hanger.

Ohaus 505

These were the fore runner to the legendary Ohaus/Lyman M5. The M5 was almost exactly the same except it had the auxiliary weight, weighed to 1,000 grains and had the more modern small pan and platform hanger.

The Ohaus/RCBS 10/10 although of the same basic format, came along later with several different features. The 10/10 introduced the rotary barrel poise, the notches on the beam for the main poise now at 10 grain intervals, not 5 as on the previous models and the minor poise now a rotary barrel format.

The early 10/10 started life with graduations either side of "0" on the scale plate but this was phased out as cost/corners were cut. The other feature of the 10/10 was the use of an "approach to weight" device. This is the long spring that the copper damper blade rest on. It's designed to gently lift the beam off the bottom stop position and powder is fed into the pan.
    Ohaus 10/10 (Early model)

The more conventional looking 5-10 scale uses exactly the same beam as the 10/10 with the rotary poise and the approach to weight device.

Boolit Master
    one of the best powder scales ever produced, however, ive not yet gotten a dial0grain

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    one of the best powder scales ever produced, however, ive not yet gotten a dial0grain
    I've got a Dial O grain (along with 20-30 other beam scales) and although it's an impressive scale it's not so sensitive as a good M5 - The total mass of the beam on a RCBS 304 type scale is huge compared with the beam on a M5 and a single kernel of powder.

Boolit Master
    good to know, maybe the grass is not so much greener on the other side, 20-30 other beam scales, that's quite a collection.
    about those scales, on one bench ive got a RCBS 505 I think it is and another bench is an m5 or 1010 or whatever you want to call it
    scales on beams are different and got to pay attention actually reading it when switching from one to the other.

Boolit Buddy
    Just a few of my scales -

I picked up this old dog a couple of days ago. A total stripdown and rebuild it'll be as good as new.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I guess their ok . 4 generations have been using 2 of the 3 on my bench . The 3rd is missing the 500 gr add weight ......
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    1066, you have quite of a collection, I love it. Thanks everyone, I got a bit of an education but knowing where I am it is not a surprise.

There are six sets of beam scales in my stash and I have had a couple others I passed on to friends trying to get started.

My first was a set of Hornady Pacific oil dampened that I used for 25 years. Later I bought a Hornady M and another set at a flea market. Found a RCBS 502 and a Dial-O-Grain at an estate sale, $40 for both. The Dial-O-Grain is the Model 309 with 3100 grain capacity. It's probably not specifically for reloading like the 304 but does work. It is seems very accurate across the range when using then check weights. I don't use it much but I do like having it around.

Thanks
    Dave

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    I guess their ok . 4 generations have been using 2 of the 3 on my bench . The 3rd is missing the 500 gr add weight ......
    Don't know if they all used the same weight but I suspect they do; it's exactly 260.9 gr. for mine. Not only does it make the expanded scale read from 500 to 1005 grains, it makes a great test weight.

Just before I started reloading (in '65) the American Rifleman magazine (IIRC) tested about six scales and about the same for powder measures; the M5 won for scales and Redding's Master won for measures. I got both in the first mail order for my bench tools and have never looked back, they both work as well today as they did back then. (Ditto my original old Lyman Spar-6 press but I only use it for handgun ammo today, in 95' I finally broke down and got a compound link press for rifle stuff.)

Boolit Grand Master
    I have both the Lyman M5 and an RCBS 1010. The extra weight is different on them by a few grains. I'll try to remember to check tonight as to just what they are.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    I can confirm the auxiliary weight for the 10/10 scale is 250gn and the M5 is 260.9

Boolit Grand Master
    I got stuck helping my cousin and forgot to look. Maybe tomorrow.

Robert

Finally remembered to check, and 1066 is correct.

R
    Last edited by Mk42gunner; 03-06-2021 at 10:42 PM.