Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much alloy do you get back from a bullet trap?

Boolit Master

How much alloy do you get back from a bullet trap?

A friend made me a trap. We have it in our hunting club cabin range.

My friend wanted to make it strong enough for rifles, just in case someone wants to test it.

This is the principle:

Compared to other "trap scrap", I feel I'm getting back much less. There is at least 50% of black dust, is that oxidized lead or what? All in all I'm getting 40% of the total scrap weight...? Why? Where does the alloy disappear?

The circulating construction seems to grind the bullets into dust...? I get flattened out bullets from other traps. More lead percentage,less dust.

Ideas,experience appreciated,thank you.

Banned
    IF the sides aren't sharp/steep enough you can lose lead out the front. Do you have a tight seal between the trap and the lead catcher underneath?

Heat the dust and see what ya got.
    The dirt will float up on top of any Lead.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I built one about a month ago, I hang a 5 gallon bucket below the pipe. I shot 6 rounds of 45 colt into it, then I weighed the leftovers in the bucket and was shocked at the reclaimed weight vs the known weight I shot into it, I didn’t record my numbers or remember what exactly it was. But I can tell you it flat works! I was shocked at how close the numbers were.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Done that many times now. It is dark, almost black heavy dust.

It won't melt back in. Just got six kilos of dust / four kilos of lead alloy yesterday.

I'm not getting lead splatters from the front, neither losing any from the bucket. Trap inside surface is rough, it is just sort of grating the bullets into dust that oxidizes...?

Boolit Grand Master
    I use a sand trap. There is nothing that will go through 10" of sand.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    get an old truck mud flap to put in front of opening behind target and see if that might hold bullets in, it might slow them down enough so they don't disintegrate.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    get an old truck mud flap to put in front of opening behind target and see if that might hold bullets in, it might slow them down enough so they don't disintegrate.
    This will probably work.

The only disadvantage is that burning rubber smell... it takes over the whole town when I melt "rubberized" scrap.

I'll try it anyway. Too much waste now.

Boolit Master

A Gun Club that I shot at years ago used old coal mining conveyer belts to shoot into. They would stop anything up to and including a .357 magnum without the bullet going through. It was funny to walk up to a target to score it and see 148 grain .38 WC bullets that were not more than 1/3 way into the free hanging belting. You could actually pick those bullets right out of the belting without much trouble. I would think that something similar to that type of conveyer belt across the front of your trap would work quite well in slowing the bullet down so that it did not destroy itself.

Boolit Master
    Yes,even the slow bullets get partially ground into dust, apparently when circulating in the cylinder.

Another local range has different traps with a steeper angle. I get much more alloy there, mostly flattened bullets.

Gonna try some stopper.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I’ve found that when recovering lead from an indoor range, the powder, dust and tiny oxidized pieces, takes an awful lot more heat to melt and yields very little lead. I now sift everything with a 1/8 inch screen and discard the fine stuff. I feel I save a lot on propane that way. I do have access to all the scrap I need, so lower fuel cost is more important than yield.

I have a trap that works with angled plates. There is a lot of lead loss due to it getting pulverized on impact. I always thought the circular type would be better. From what is being said, I guess not.

Boolit Master
    I plan to try one at 15 degrees to see if that helps. That will make the trap about 2 feet long.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BulletTrap01.jpg  
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    I plan to try one at 15 degrees to see if that helps. That will make the trap about 2 feet long.
    What do you plan to have at the end of the angled plates? Be sure to let us know how it works and what percent of lead you recover.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    What do you plan to have at the end of the angled plates? Be sure to let us know how it works and what percent of lead you recover.
    The round piece is SCH 40 6 inch plumbing pipe, almost 1/4 inch thick. I have about 6 feet of that. I am typically shooting 250g bullets at 1300+. We'll see. LOL

Those are all inside measurements, I didn't include the thickness of the steel.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

that bottom lip of the cone.. make sure it protrudes a couple inches into the pipe or you can loose lead out the front.

We made a bullet trap this weekend. hope to put it to use soon.

Boolit Buddy
    I also use a sand trap.
    Actually I have several set up at different distances in my back yard.
    No disintegrated bullets to deal with.
    I empty the sand through 1/4" mesh wire screening to retrieve the lead.
    These are not portable.

Perhaps those metal traps spoken of here are portable, so that could be a benefit if you want to lug them to your shooting area.
    1A - 2A = -1A

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    I would worry about that six foot pipe getting filled up and boolits packing themselves in so tight, that it will be impossible to get them out without melting them. Maybe that wouldn’t be a problem if you clean them out after each use.

We hang heavy conveyor belting to stop bullets. It self seals to a point when bullet passes through and the never have the power to penetrate belting hung from top, bottom just floats, on the bounce.You have to move your bullseye around a little. You can chew a hole shooting at same mark.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm assuming a trap is different from a box. I get about 75% with my box using revolvers and cast boolit velocities for practice. I could probably get more but let the shavings and splatters go.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    I made the mistake of buying Linotype/monotype saw chips from a typesetting company a few years ago. There was a lot of that oxidized black dust when I smelted that batch. I read on here that you needed to use either oil or wax to get it to get that dust to melt. So I just kept adding chunks of wax and a lot of that dust turned back into usable Linotype. At one point the flames where 4-6 feet tall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast