RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Loading 160 FTX J words

Boolit Buddy

Loading 160 FTX J words

I found 5 boxes of Hornady FTX 160 grains hidden on the top shelf. I don't need 500 rounds of 30-30 with these bullets. Has anyone used this bullet in something other than a 30-30? I'm thinking of trying them in 308 Win. I'm sure it would provide minute of deer accuracy. Any experiences?

Shelly
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

Since it is designed for the 30-30, it will likely disintegrate at higher velocities. It would work well for a longer range bullet since it would have slowed down by the time it reaches long range.
    How well it will shoot depends on how accurate the rifle is and how good a shot you are.
    You can run the combination through a ballistics calculator(Hornady provides one for free) and find out how far it takes to drop the velocity to 30-30 levels.

Boolit Master

No experience, but I'd be a little concerned about pushing a bullet designed for the 30-30 at 700 fps faster than it was designed for. I'm sure it would kill a deer on a broadside shot, but you might have a lot more bloodshot meat than you would like.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Since it is designed for the 30-30, it will likely disintegrate at higher velocities. It would work well for a longer range bullet since it would have slowed down by the time it reaches long range.
    How well it will shoot depends on how accurate the rifle is and how good a shot you are.
    You can run the combination through a ballistics calculator(Hornady provides one for free) and find out how far it takes to drop the velocity to 30-30 levels.
    This is exactly right. That bullet, at least the samples I have, are very frangible even at 30-30 velocities. I loaded some to approximate 30-30 velocities in a heavy barrel varmint rifle for my niece to shoot. Probably a pretty good 200 yard 30-30 bullet.
    Fine for target practice or vermin.
    Rick

Boolit Master

Check the box for the bullet #. Hornady has 2 160gr FTX. One for 30-30 (30395) and one for 308 velocities (30396).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by avogunner View Post
    Check the box for the bullet #. Hornady has 2 160gr FTX. One for 30-30 (30395) and one for 308 velocities (30396).

This +

"My two most favorite people are Navy Corpsmen and Marine medivac helicopter pilots" - MEJ 1967.

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." Col Jeff Cooper, USMC.

Primary difference in them is placement of cannular/crimp groove. They will work fine. One is for 308MX and other is 30/30. Both heavy jacket hunting bullets. Different neck length, same bullet. May have to seat deep due to ogive. Give it a try. Or trade/sell them off. I loaded some for SIL's Marlin 308MX, he shot hog (50 yds broken spine) didn't blow up. They weren't 'light' loads.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Primary difference in them is placement of cannular/crimp groove. They will work fine. One is for 308MX and other is 30/30. Both heavy jacket hunting bullets. Different neck length, same bullet. May have to seat deep due to ogive. Give it a try. Or trade/sell them off. I loaded some for SIL's Marlin 308MX, he shot hog (50 yds broken spine) didn't blow up. They weren't 'light' loads.
    This is my understanding as well.

FTX aint "tough" bullets ta start...

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    Loaded 200 in 30-30 last night and traded off the rest for SST's. Problem solved. Now what to use the old Barnes 30 cal 250 gr rn in. Found 100 when I found the others. Gotta clean the reloading room I guess. No telling what else I'll find.
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown