RepackboxWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you protect lubed Rifle Cartrige from picking up dust & Dirt while in your poc

Boolit Buddy

How do you protect lubed Rifle Cartrige from picking up dust & Dirt while in your poc

OK, working with self cast Rifle Bullets is a new thing for me but will hopefully eventually replace my regular Rifle Reloadings.

So yesterday arrived a used but apparently unmolested- new Lyman Mold -287405EW- which was immediately dubbed the "Dildo 7" Mold, (look at it then you know why) then shortly thereafter proceeded to cast a dozend test Bullets which I then locked at and locked at while watching Judge Judy.

Seems to be a interesting Bullet design but I started wondering once they went trough the GC seating-crimping-sizing-lubing process then seating them into a charged Casing would undoubtedly leave a large front part with lubed Groves exposed ready to collect dust and whatever else I have in my pockets.

I guess one could powder coat them to avoid the mess, but I wonder what other Guys do to carry a dozend or so Lubed Bullets in their pockets.

Cheers

Boolit Grand Master

I only lube 1 or 2 lube grooves. In all cases so far, mainly 308 winchester, the lube is fully in the case neck.

Boolit Master
    An old mate of mine who has now passed, used plastic vile with clip on lids for single rounds, I have also seen snug fitting plastic tube used. Regards Stephen

Ziplock baggies. Should roll up in your pocket just fine.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master
    I don't carry ammo loose in my pocket or at least not often. I use ammo belt, wallet, case or magazine if they are not in ammo boxes. It is also rare that I have ammo with exposed lube except .22 LR. If I do they are probably in a typical ammo box or case as they are range rounds not carry or hunting rounds.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=ammo+w...ANNAB1&PC=U531

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    I typically don’t have loose rounds for either rifle or pistol rattling around loosely in my pockets . Aside from that , If they were lube with a lube Sizer no reason to have lube all over the nose of the bullet. As far as tumble lube I use Ben’s liquid lube and it’s not sticky when it dries, even if it was straight liquid Alox you shouldn’t be picking up enough debris on the nose of the boolet to make a difference. As a rather comical sidenote I once dropped a bunch of tumble lube bullets that was still wet on the bed that my German Shepherd used to lay on and keep me company while I was reloading. I did wipe them off but there still was dog hair stuck to them. Well I loaded them up and off to the range I went. They shot just fine no issues. However this was in an inside range and I can tell you the comments from the shooters on the lanes next to me we’re quite comical. They range from what’s that smell to the gentleman immediate we to my right saying it smells like a wet dog in here! Lol
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    The case guard ammo wallets work if you have a pocket big enough for them .
    I carried rimfire and 44 mag in them when hunting for years.
    Here is a link if you have not seen them.
    http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products...o-wallets.html

The sizer should be adjusted so no lubed grooves are outside the case.
    But I'm big on using plastic zip-lok bags to keep ammo clean.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

I carry mine in a fully enclosed belt slide. It's probably 50yrs old. Some kind of plasto-rubber. And a MTM wallet in a backpack.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

I blow my pocket out with the air compressor...

Where I feel I need the lube for higher speed rifle loads. Regular lube in the grooves. (Ben's Red, pretty sticky stuff)

Then 2 very light coats of Ben's liquid lube, ie thinned Alox. Tumble lube, spill out onto cardboard flat in front of a fan for hour.

BLL dries to a hard finish, no more sticky bullets. Load normally.

If desired, a splash of mineral spirits, rubbing alcohol, lighter fluid, or even BLL onto a towel will let you polish noses. Mostly I use about 3-4 drops of BLL on an old terry cloth towel. Still leaves a very very thin lube layer, but it looks clean. Dry's to a hard shell finish.

Or you can warm a little mineral spirits gently and melt in a little carnuba wax. As it cools it becomes a gel. A Pea sized piece in 50 cast bullets will put a very nice hard shell on that also does lovely things for your bore.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Grand Master

I give them a quick coat of mica powder and they do not pick up any other debris.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    You seldom need to lube all the grooves. Many use too much lube. Mine was always lubed within the case neck.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

If you lube too many of the grooves accuracy will suffer.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Grand Master

1.) Don't stuff them into pants pocket ... leather ammo carrier slips onto belt , ammo is carried in loops on carrier on belt . Also called ammunition belt slide ... they are available for rifle and handgun, I have some in both and they work well .

2.) Only lube the grooves that are covered by the neck ... nobody says just because a groove is there you must fill it with lubricant .

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

USMC 77, USRA 79

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Where I feel I need the lube for higher speed rifle loads. Regular lube in the grooves. (Ben's Red, pretty sticky stuff)

Then 2 very light coats of Ben's liquid lube, ie thinned Alox. Tumble lube, spill out onto cardboard flat in front of a fan for hour.

BLL dries to a hard finish, no more sticky bullets. Load normally.

Or you can warm a little mineral spirits gently and melt in a little carnuba wax. As it cools it becomes a gel. A Pea sized piece in 50 cast bullets will put a very nice hard shell on that also does lovely things for your bore.

This!!! a very shiny barrel and good seasoning....
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    I don't carry ammo loose in my pocket or at least not often. I use ammo belt, wallet, case or magazine if they are not in ammo boxes. It is also rare that I have ammo with exposed lube except .22 LR. If I do they are probably in a typical ammo box or case as they are range rounds not carry or hunting rounds.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=ammo+w...ANNAB1&PC=U531

Tim
    Yep. that would work for me, thanks Tim

Cheers

Boolit Buddy
    Dunno it appeals to anyone other than me, but I "tumble lube" without the tumble part. Tried it once the regular way and said "nevermore".
    So what I do is fill a small container to the height appropriate for the bullet and dip the base to the upper drive band and set it on a bit of wax paper to dry a little. After that is done I wipe the bullet bases on a paper towel and set them aside for about an hour.

The next step is to size, then lightly dust them with a graphite/motor mica mix and they are ready for loading. Short answer to your question, I do carry them in my pocket and they gather no lint or dirt. I do this with all bullets for smokeless loads.

Only time I carry spare ammo in my pocket is when I'm deer hunting I have an extra 4 on a stripper clip just so they don't jiggle around . Don't know about everyone else's jacket pockets but mine ain't too dirty so I really don't worry about some lint or a few specks of whatever .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Would it really matter if some lint got in the groove?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast