Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bevel base vs. flat base bullets

Bevel base vs. flat base bullets

I am trying to get a handle on the general preference of the cast bullets shooters here.
    When I retire (which may be a few years from now) I may well put my Hensley & Gibbs mould collection to work and do a side gig casting and selling ONLY cast bullets from H&G moulds.
    I can see "Dr. Donald's Gourmet Hensley & Gibbs Bullets" as a marketing tool to differentiate my bullets from the rest.
    So...before I have some of my bevel based moulds modified, "....I gots ta know". (an obscure Dirty Harry reference)
    Do you prefer bevel base or flat base cast bullets and why?
    Let the debate start in 3-2-1......
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    When I buy molds I buy flat base . But the commercial bullets I buy are all bevel base .
    They both work for me.

Be advised, one would think selling formed pieces of lead would be no problem, but you have to clear the legal hoops first and get an FFL. Put me down for non-bevel.

Boolit Master
    I prefer a square almost sharp base.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
    Be advised, one would think selling formed pieces of lead would be no problem, but you have to clear the legal hoops first and get an FFL. Put me down for non-bevel.
    So noted.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

b
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
    This right here. It requires a Federal license, and I can only imagine the hoops you will have to jump through running a lead based business.

I would NEVER modify a H&G mold. There aren't going to be any more of them.

I used to be a flat based boolit guy but a Lyman 452630 changed my mind. Those bevel based boolits load a lot easier on a progressive press.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

I'm making my own with H&G molds
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Grand Master

I have only purchased one bevel based bullet mold, but have purchased commercial cast bevel based. I haven't seen enough difference to make a case for either as my bullets, either flat based or bevel based have performed well. No difference in accuracy and no extra leading from BB, but today 99% of my cast bullet shooting is with flat based bullets. One thing about flat base; it is way easier and quicker to determine the quality of a pour with a sharp cornered flat base...

A few previous discussions on the topic;
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...l-base-bullets
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...e-or-flat-base
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...e-cast-bullets
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-vs-Bevel-base
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    I happened to have 2 Lee 158 RNFP moulds,
    which are bevel based. My 1894 Marlin lever
    didn't like them, so I made one of them a flat
    base. Now my Marlin is happier. That same
    rifle really likes my powder coated Lee 125 RNFP
    which is a flat base.

There's more: I have a few NOE moulds in
    30 and 32 caliber cut with both gas check and
    plain base shanks. I have run plain base
    powder coated boolits up to 1800 FPS
    with good accuracy.

Flat base.

I haven't seen any difference in accuracy in my handguns. The bevel base is easier to get started into the case during seating.

Handgun, bevel is fine but I prefer FB. Rifle - all FB. I do agree, don't mod and irreplaceable mould.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    h&g molds are great molds as is, i think you will be sorry if you alter them.....no more will ever be made, so, why do it? you will have a tough time making a profit making lead bullets slowly. buy the machines that produce them quickly or dont go at all.

Wwekd ???

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Quote Originally Posted by green mountain boy View Post
    You will have a tough time making a profit making lead bullets slowly. buy the machines that produce them quickly or dont go at all.
    Clearly you have never used an 8 or a 10- cavity H&G mould.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Hey, Donald , here’s a novel idea, you do what ya want to, and the market will let ya know if you made the correct decision. Btw, how you doing up there?? Just checking. Be safe.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

As already mentioned BB loads better on some loaders. I find when I use heavy for the caliber bullets, such as 160s in 9mm that a flat base bullet will sometimes swage the brass when the bullet interferes with the inside head. Too, in rifles with worn muzzles from too many GIs getting over enthusiastic with cleaning rods (Garand) a bevel base will destroy accuracy where a flat base has no effect.

Boolit Buddy

Bevel base for all my semi-auto pistol rounds. Best for progressive loading presses . I have 6 of them.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I prefer flat, personally, but I'm not sure I can shoot well enough to tell the difference between the two.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Master
    I prefer flat bases but then I cast my own so....I would not be a customer. I am more worried about accuracy than speed of production. If I am going to buy cast bullets I might has well just buy loaded ammo. If I want a whole lot of ammo in a hurry I would just buy it by the case. Oh, wait, I already did that. I think more important than the base shape is the alloy and lube. Most factory cast bullets are too hard with hard lube. Also bullets don't come in enough variety of diameters. If you are going to make boutique bullets your customers need to be able to choose alloy, lube and diameter. All that said, if most of you customers are loading on progressive presses in volume they probably don't care about those things and just want a powder coated bevel base bullet so the load easy and don't leave lube in the seat and crimp die/dies.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master

I used to think I preferred plain based bullets, but lately have been specifying my molds in BB. Easier to load in volume.

I would definitely not alter an H&G mold.

EDITED TO ADD:
    Could be a nice retirement gig after all the regulations are dealt with. The one problem is that it could take what was once an enjoyable hobby and turn it into something that feels like a J-O-B!
    Last edited by Taterhead; 02-25-2021 at 07:24 PM.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast