Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bevel base vs. flat base bullets

The commercial stuff might be bevel based to go through the sizing machine easier and not snag.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Bevel or flat base, I couldn’t care less. Either one puts the holes where they should go if I do my part.

Boolit Master
    When buying them I prefer bevel base or gas checked.

When casting I prefer flat base.

I flare the case enough that both go through my progressive press just fine.

With my 81 year old eyes both types shoot the same. I prefer the BB for ease of loading on my 550s. The MP BB design is very slight & may be the best of both.

Back in the 80's when I was shooting IHMSA I would prefer the FB: shooting 200 meter rams is different from 25 yd. falling plates.

In the late 70's I got a manufacturers FFL to make boolits (more or less to support my shooting habit). I had to jump through many hoops to get that license & shutter to think of all the red tape that would be required today. One evening when my wife was helping me box some up she ask how much I was charging? When I told her she said she'd pay that just to not have to do it. She's a smart woman.

With the cost of the raw materials + the time required you may want to 2nd. think.

Quote Originally Posted by Budzilla 19 View Post
    Hey, Donald , here’s a novel idea, you do what ya want to, and the market will let ya know if you made the correct decision. Btw, how you doing up there?? Just checking. Be safe.
    Well, that kind of negates the action of removing the bevel base if I am wrong. Once gone, never to return.
    If I was right, then I was right. I am trying to gather some opinions here before taking any action at all.
    Maybe cast a bunch as see how they sell as a test?
    All is well here in NH. The maple trees were tapped yesterday so spring is not far away.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    I used to think I preferred plain based bullets, but lately have been specifying my molds in BB. Easier to load in volume.

I would definitely not alter an H&G mold.

EDITED TO ADD:
    Could be a nice retirement gig after all the regulations are dealt with. The one problem is that it could take what was once an enjoyable hobby and turn it into something that feels like a J-O-B!
    I've done this twice in my life. Both times I found a need and filled it. Both times I made a lot of money. Both times I ended up working an additional 40-50 hours per week, on top of the 50-60 I was working at my full time job. Both times I got so tired of it I just walked away. I can no longer even think of taking up either hobby again.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Having in excess of over 200 bullet molds in inventory from multiple makers and several obsolete Ideal molds to current, I believe I might have one bevel based mold ... enough said
    Last edited by John Boy; 02-26-2021 at 12:36 PM.
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

I've tried them both , side by side in accuracy testing in 38 special and 45 acp and honestly could see no difference ... in fact the 38 special might have shot just a little better with the bevel based boolits . I could never really see a concise answer .

Then again perhaps the commercial cast boolits were just better than my by hand pressure cast boolits

These are regular pressure target loads . Now Elmer Keith swore up and down that flat base were better and perhaps in 44 magnum heavy loads they are . When I go 357 magnum loads I use Skeeter Skelton's recommended Lyman #358156 GC and slap on the gas check .

I think when used in light and standard loads the bevel base will do OK ...
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 02-26-2021 at 07:27 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Bevel base. For years the conventional wisdom was sharp flat base's but I came to learn it didn't matter in my shooting performance. In my opinion, a uniform bevel base is just as good.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

If you are going to ship the bullets in a bulk type package the bevel base bullets will show less damage than the Sharp edge of the flat based bullets
    Great minds discuss ideas
    Average minds discuss events
    Small minds discuss people

Boolit Master
    I've tried them both and could see no difference as long as the bases are filled out, I am more interested in the nose and how it feeds.

Boolit Master

Commercial cast boolits are designed to resist damage in shipping. Shooting them comes secondary.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Grand Master

Years ago I had access to a very solidly mounted Ransom Rest. There was also a local commercial caster who cast several handgun bullets in both BB and FB of the same bullet. I got several different 38, 44 and 45 caliber bullets and thoroughly test both types of based bullets in the 38 SPL (my Power custom PPC revolver based on a S&W M10), the 44 Magnum ( a Ruger Super BH and a M29 S%W) and the 45 ACP (both M1911 Series 70 and a M25 S&W Target). Testing was done with 12 and 14 shot groups at 50 yards with identical target loads and +P or magnum level loads. In every single test the FB'd bullets produced better accuracy, sometimes with 1/2 the size groups as the BB'd bullets produced.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Here is a statement from a guy that posts on one forum and one I put a lot of confidence in concerning FB and BB bullets..

"in every test the FB bullets proved more accurate.
    However, I doubt 99.99% of shooters can take advantage of the difference in accuracy."

I will go with that statement, myself.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 02-27-2021 at 08:24 PM.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Look at FB being a better bullet for reloads with wad protecting the base;
    *. The FB will seal fully in the leade and the leading bore cuts on ignition
    * It will fully seal in the bore grooves with no gas leakage with proper alloy
    Both of these factors when run over the chrono for FPS ... means the bullet is traveling at the same speed to the target and when dug out of a snow bank or sawdust pile ... will still have a flat sharp base
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    I don't doubt what Larry says at all if he tells us of his results I believe he got exactly what he said and appreciate every post he makes. I wish I had a fraction of the knowledge that Larry and Outpost75 and many others here share with us.
    But for me where 90% of what I shoot is at 5 to 25 yards off hand I use the economical coated commercial cast bullets , all of the ones I buy are bevel base . When I want better I cast my own . I don't compete in any formal target shoots or competitions . I shoot for fun and my own entertainment mostly with CC guns. The bevel base will shoot under an inch at 7 yards and most will shoot 3 to 4" at 25 on days when I do my part . I used to get all the free lead I needed . And before the coated bullets the cheap commercial cast were not near as forgiving , to hard the wrong size and lube that did not perform well , so I used to cast all my bullets . Not any more , I like 950 coated bullets for $50.00

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Years ago I had access to a very solidly mounted Ransom Rest. There was also a local commercial caster who cast several handgun bullets in both BB and FB of the same bullet. I got several different 38, 44 and 45 caliber bullets and thoroughly test both types of based bullets in the 38 SPL (my Power custom PPC revolver based on a S&W M10), the 44 Magnum ( a Ruger Super BH and a M29 S%W) and the 45 ACP (both M1911 Series 70 and a M25 S&W Target). Testing was done with 12 and 14 shot groups at 50 yards with identical target loads and +P or magnum level loads. In every single test the FB'd bullets produced better accuracy, sometimes with 1/2 the size groups as the BB'd bullets produced.
    Sometimes it takes a Ransom Rest to bring out the real picture ... I had always heard flat based were "better" and this probably proves it . I couldn't "prove" it because I was shooting unsupported .
    Thanks for posting your results . Icast my own flat based when I can but if I have to will load and shoot commercial bevel base base , for fun not money , when I don't have time to cast them right .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Bevel base for me. I need to produce ammo in multiple four digit quantities each month for action pistol, where 2.5" 25 yd group accuracy is considered satisfactory. So even if some find them a little less accurate than flat based, that, for me, is a very small price to pay for the greater ease and speed of loading.

Another consideration might be leading with bevel base in revolvers. I haven't done enough shooting to absolutely confirm what I suspect. Here's the situation I encountered last fall. I was shooting a Ruger Blackhawk/Buckeye with the 10mm cylinder. Loads were commercial cast 180 TC BB and Unique 6.5gr. I had applied a light coat of LLA over the commercial lube. I shot maybe 30 rounds or so for fun, accuracy seemed fine for me, but later when I went to clean the gun, there was a heavy lead deposit in the forcing cone. I'd never had a problem with leading before in this gun and suspected that the bevel based bullets may be the cause. I loaded a another batch of 10mm, again using 6.5gr Unique, but this time loaded 1/2 with a card wad under the bevel base bullets, and loaded the other 1/2 with 175 gr flat base rounded flat point bullets (AC/WW) like you'd use for a .38-40. After shooting 20 of each, accuracy was fine (minute of coke can) and there was no leading.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12