RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: New .45-70 Katahdin 20” Encore barrel

Boolit Bub

New .45-70 Katahdin 20” Encore barrel

I have a new .45-70 barrel that I got primarily for boar hunting and bigger game at close ranges. I have a .30-06 barrel dialed in with 150 gr TTSX loads for longer shots and smaller game.

I have everything I need to pan lube. But I except I will be PCing before long (getting back into shooting and setting up my bench after some time overseas).

What alloys and bullet types do you recommend for boar or other big game?
    73’s DE
    Matthew

“Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” – Benjamin Franklin

Hard and flat point. A 45 starts out bigger a 30 caliber ends up. A hogs hide is tough and if you use a soft bullet or hollow point you’ll end up pushing a parachute partially through. Hard and heavy with a sizable meplat works well

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve spent a fair bit of time chasing hogs and with a current body count in the neighborhood of of 300 I’ll pass along a few thoughts.

Firearms used: 20, 16 and 12 ga primarily with buckshot, but a couple of slugs were used also. .30-30, .257 Roberts, .44 mag, .22 RF (CB Shorts and LR). The .44 used 300 gr FN pure lead paper patched w/ mv of 1600 FPS.

I had to shoot 3 hogs a second time, one with a 12 ga shooting 00 buck, another with 20 ga w/#3 buck and one with the .22 RF. I killed 3 hogs with one shot on 3 occasions using a 20 ga w/#3 buck.

The point(s) I would make are fairly simple. Pigs aren’t hard to kill. They also are not terribly bright. Using a TC Contender .22 one day and I killed 5 without taking a step. 2 were in the 200# range, a boar and sow. Shoot them in the ear or middle of the neck if broadside or between the eyes if convenient.

With due respect I suggest you use something other than hard cast. Thinking that WW or even a bit softer. 300-400 gr at somewhere in the 1500 FPS range but I wouldn’t fret about the velocity. Case in point; the hog shot with the .44 was about 30’ from me. Hit the point of the right shoulder with a nearly head on aspect. Shattered the shoulder blade, 5 ribs, 4 vertebrae, and the offside hip. Boom-flop.

Find your load, put the bullet where it needs to go and don’t make it tough on yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman 357122 Gould hollow point. Has survived over 100 years of use in the Eastern woods and is all you need. WW/soft lead 50/50 would be close to the ideal alloy for this use.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!