RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: What did I just buy: A Cimarron thread

Boolit Master

Question What did I just buy: A Cimarron thread

Evening cowpokes and gentlefolks, master tinkers and outhouse-stinkers (categorize yourself as you see fit!) I've made a grievous error from which, to quote the Tiger King, I am never going to financially recover. I've purchased a rifle sight unseen from a Big Box Store with no real idea what I'm purchasing.

The facts:
    The rifle is an 1885 High Wall pattern rifle with a color case hardened receiver. The wood is checkered, the stocks are in the "sporter" or "hunter" style with the curved pistol grip instead of the traditional straight stock (for which my wrist is thankful). Octagonal barrel, Creedmoor tang sight with the buckhorn sight ahead of the action removed and the dovetail empty. The front sight has been replaced with a globe-type front with a spirit level attached. The marking on the bottom of the action is "CAT 10501" which is gibberish to me.

The dispute:
    The rifle is tagged as a Cimarron chambered .45-65, but also marked on a second tag as .45-75 and Idid not observe the caliber marking on top myself. I know cimarron offered the .40-65 (with which I would be well content) but I can't find either an Uberti or Cimarron rifle that was offered in .45-75, and unless someone has done quite the wildcat I'm not familiar with a .45-65 Winchester. A mis-marked .45-70 would suit me just fine as well as would the ol' Teddy Roosevelt special .405 "Big Medicine" Winchester. Based on the stock and color case hardening I suspect it is either an Uberti High Wall Special Sporting Rifle.

So while I wait for the mystery box to ship, what is the most likely identity of this beast? Is there a likely caliber I've missed, and what's the best way to suggest that said retailer purchase a pair of readers for the person who listed and tagged this rifle? Bonus points for pet smokeless loads in any caliber you suggest.

Boolit Master

Well Uberti makes the 1876 in 45-60 and in 45-75 as to the hi wall I have only noticed it in 45-70 Do you have a link to the auction or photos and ad ?

Boolit Master
    it's definitely a High Wall. I know they've been made by both the Italian Stallion importers in .45-70, .45-90, .40-65, a short run of .348 Win, .405 Win, and I believe Uberti also offered a .45 LC which "oh no not the briar patch" on that as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download (1).jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	278444

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download (2).jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	278445

Let's see if I made that work.

Boolit Grand Master

Just a guess but when it shows up probably is that is either a 40/65 or a 45/70 with 45/70 most likely. The 45/75 is Winchester round for the 1876. Never heard of a 45/65????????
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Bub
    I have one in 40-65, great rifle.

Boolit Master
    "CAT 10501" means the gun is item # 10501 in the makers catalog, i.e. its the model number.
    google is your friend.
    when you find that catalog number you will likely find the caliber its chambered in.
    My calibrated eyeball, based on the 1st pic, says Uberti.
    you could go to the Uberti website and drill down on their hiwall pages and see what catalog # 10501 is.
    Or call them

Boolit Master
    https://www.ubertireplicas.com/produ...hot-high-wall/
    click on "parts and schematics", look for 10501.

40-65

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by edp2k View Post
    https://www.ubertireplicas.com/produ...hot-high-wall/
    click on "parts and schematics", look for 10501.

40-65
    See this is what I came for! My google fu is weak and didn't bring me to that page. Well happy birthday to me, I get to play with a new cartridge!

As a bonus now I can big-dog all the kids bragging about their 10mm autos and shoe them what a real powerful 10mm looks like.

A hint - form them from 45-70 cases and trim to fit your chamber. Pre made 40-65 cases are usually too short.

Boolit Master
    It's no surprise that reading up on .40-65 and doing searches on the topic inevitably leads me back to this site's casting and reloading sections. At this point I expect to try something moderate in the 300gr range and maybe a 410gr. I need to get a peek at the bore and maybe do a chamber cast as there seems to be some disagreement over what reamer is used in the spaghetti blasters and what the bores like. At this point my biggest concern is that it shows up with the bore in poor condition and has to be relined. If that's the case I might commit a cardinal sin and have the front sight moved back, thread the muzzle for my Hybrid .46. I have seen some octagon barrels threaded and a matching muzzle protector turned that hides the threads from all but the most discerning eye.

I'll have some time either way to hunt down does and projectiles once the rifle arrives as I usually only make it out to shoot every couple weeks at best.

Well that's my second biggest concern. My first is where to store it. I think the wife is going into put the kibosh on a nice mantelpiece mount, which is too bad.