WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Vulcan Omnipro 220 vs Miller 210 MP

Boolit Bub

Vulcan Omnipro 220 vs Lincoln 210 MP

I’ve been looking at buying a new welder for the shop. People seem to like the Harbor Freight Vulcan line and the Omnipro 220 has good reviews. The Lincoln is a name brand machine. Both are multi process welders and will stick/mig/tig weld. I mostly stick weld, but would like to learn to tig. Does anyone have experience with either of these machines? Would anyone refer them or perhaps, not refer them?

Thanks
    Last edited by wulfman92; 02-24-2021 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Mixed up brand names

Boolit Master

I have one of their ProTig 200's, and love it. Also 2 MIG welders (HF) as well. Good equipment. I am a career steel worker, and am more than happy with Harbor Freight products. Most of the machinery/tools in my garage are HF.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Grand Master

I have the Miller matic 220 it is arc mig tig. mig is gas or flux core. A nice machine capable of tig welding most materials. ( Some even in the miller line arnt.). I have 2 flux bottles on mine its a nice easy to set up and use machine, much lighter than the older ones. Has a foot control for tig amps also. I think mines goes around 60 lbs less tanks and cart. I havent used mine much yet.

I havent used the HF units so no experience there.

I also recommend one of the newer welding helmets stays " clear" until arc is struck then darkens to the set setting or on some whats needed. Makes seeing where your at and starting a lot easier.
    Last edited by country gent; 02-24-2021 at 05:35 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Also forgot to add my miller is 110 or 220 volts by changing a plug comes with both.

Boolit Master
    I own Hobart which is Miller. I don't think the current HF welders are enough cheaper to justify buying. I would want a few more rave reviews.

I just finished rebuilding my chinese 14" carbide tooth metal chop saw because the countershaft bearings were bogus.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Banned
    I went threw this same thing a couple years ago , things might have changed since. But at the time the general consensus seemed to be stay away from the multi process welders of any brand . they all had way more problems then dedicated mig or stick/tig welders .

These days I don't know how concerned I'd be with who's name is on the side of the welder . like everything else these days they are all communist on the inside .
    I think a good way to make a comparison is to price some replacement circuit boards for different brands . it might make you feel a lot more comfy going with the Vulcan .

I wound up with a vintage 80's model miller transformer machine . only because it is a three phase welder , the price was right @ $40. And I already had a rotary phase converter big enough to run it .

I love it as a welder , it welds like butter both stick and tig its so smooth .
    But its an absolute energy hog even at idle it pulls a constant 12 amps .
    I'd probably send it to the big scrap yard in the sky if I used it more then once or twice a month .

Boolit Master
    Can you get tech support? Can you get parts? Can you get service/repairs if you need it? Will your local welding sales/repair shop work on it? I tried numerous times to call HF customer service, never got through to them. All I wanted was a repair kit for a long ram jack. I finally gave up and bought another jack.

Just my $0.02 worth.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by wulfman92 View Post
    I’ve been looking at buying a new welder for the shop. People seem to like the Harbor Freight Vulcan line and the Omnipro 220 has good reviews. The Lincoln is a name brand machine. Both are multi process welders and will stick/mig/tig weld. I mostly stick weld, but would like to learn to tig. Does anyone have experience with either of these machines? Would anyone refer them or perhaps, not refer them?

Thanks
    I bought the Lincoln 210MP in a hurry because I needed it for a project.

There are a couple of things you need to know about these multi process welders.
    Neither one will allow you to TIG aluminum.
    Secondly you will need to buy an additional kit to do TIG.
    TIG kit for the Lincoln is K3690-1.
    My friend has the Vulcan but didn't buy the TIG adapter kit.

Both only do lift start TIG.

Boolit Master

That's odd; my protig has a high-frequency start and an A/C setting just for aluminum. Get straight Argon gas, and good to go. I also have the variable foot control that came with the machine. Currently using it to fab patch panels on an old Ford I am redoing.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodman14 View Post
    That's odd; my protig has a high-frequency start and an A/C setting just for aluminum. Get straight Argon gas, and good to go. I also have the variable foot control that came with the machine. Currently using it to fab patch panels on an old Ford I am redoing.
    I have the 220, love it but it is a inverter welder and only welds DC. You need AC to TIG weld aluminum but does an excellent job TIG welding steel. You can get a spool gun that will weld aluminum though, and it uses Lincoln consumables.

Boolit Master

Between the two stated, I'd get the Miller.

But if one doesn't want to spend that much they might want to consider a Primeweld or an Everlast. Great machines and I have both of those brands. Primeweld is known for having the best customer service there is 27/7. Have been know to overnight a new machine free to someone who needs it when the person current machine goes south.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the help, guys.