Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for advice on a subsonic TC Encore project

Mattri, your bolt action (assuming the Savage is a bolt) sounds really cool. I considered a 458 SOCOM bolt, but the shorter package of the Encore/Contender just keeps pulling me back that way.

So if I went with a Long colt, I might need two sizers to take a boolit from .459 to .452? Like a .455 or .456 as a step in between? That wouldn't be that bad.

I have read the 45-70 can be tricky to get to subsonic due to case capacity, but people do manage it. Is there enough case capacity in a 45 Long Colt to put in a 500 grain bullet and get it up around 1000 fps?

Thanks,
    pg

Boolit Mold
    I’ve been playing with a 45-70 load in a 24” MGM barrel seeking to find the quietest non silenced rifle I could load for that is capable of taking deer, hogs, etc at short ranges. I found this article by Jack Lambert a few years ago, and it was a great starting point.

https://www.jacklambert.com/2014/01/...-a-suppressor/

I usually run 500-525 grain cast Bullets around 700-800 FPS using Trail Boss. Accuracy is 2” at 50 yards, with a 12” drop from 50 to 100 yards. For fun I signed in at 50 yards with the 525 grain load, and then switched to a Noe 350 cast running around 1200fps with Unique, and found it shot only an inch low at 100 yards. So now I carry quiet 525g loads for close range and/or by people, and the 350g loads to reach out a little further when by myself.

I had a cheapie scope on the 45-70, but have now upgraded to a Swarovski Z-3 scope, with a ballistic calculator app. Haven’t got to sight it in yet, but curious to see if I can get it to offset the rainbow trajectory of the load. Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12