Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Round ball hog hunting question

Boolit Master

Round ball hog hunting question

Looks like I might get to hunt hogs this year. Had both shots and wife is ok with it if my son or brother will go also. I am using a .45-70 Trapdoor, a .45-70 Sharps and want to use a Mossberg 590 Marine 12ga loaded with 2 round balls .600 hard cast. Will be 2 3/4" shells. Anyone used the 2 ball load on hogs? Did it work good or should I go to 3" 12ga with 3 balls.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    My buddy in Italy hunts boar with a single ball which fits choke, but will push through with hand pressure only. Patch ball to fit inside shell and load over 5 grams of black.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Dunno how your gun shoots the two ball loads, but I’ve killed a couple truck loads of hogs with a 20 ga and 2-3/4 #3 buck. There were three occasions when it put down 3 hogs with one shot. Momma and Daddy hogs don’t stop that stuff.

Not an answer to your question, but I’ve dropped them with 00 buckshot in a 2 3/4” shell. Reliable and makes up for my aiming error on a running target

Boolit Master
    I've taken plenty with a single RB out of either a (.595") 20ga or a (.678", .690", and .735") 12ga, and so afr, every shot has been broadside or angled into a side, and every single one was a pass through. It's just a matter of developing your accuracy load. I've also taken them with .490" and .530" RBs fired from muzzleloaders, so smaller RBs work fine too. My goal is to take a hog with my .32 muzzleloader one of these days.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Banner Sponsor

Most of my hog hunting is done at 50 yds. I put up some targets and test the 2 ball loads and see how tight they group. I like to take head shots, no tracking required...