Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Broken ball driver.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by XDROB View Post
    So I have quite the slot cut into the screw head. Using a dremel cutoff wheel. But the angle that I have to hold a screwdriver and then to try and turn the screwdriver with the help of a wrench is not working. So I have finely decided to unbolt it from the bench and attack it from a better angle. I can't believe that I won't have it apart by Sunday afternoon. Have some other things to work on. House comes first.

And the other screw looks pretty clean. And I was told by Hornady that they don't use any kind of thread lock. It's just the taper of the screw that holds it in so tight.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Wow, OK
    I would have ripped it off the bench 1st thing...
    Good luck,

Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Buddy
    Too stupid or stubborn. Or a little of both.

Boolit Buddy
    So I decided to unbolt the press from my table. Had to dismount the shell feeder, but that wasn't much of a big deal. Layed it on its side. Heated the screw with a small torch and then dripped a couple of drops of Kroil into the sides. Tried a small punch. No good. So I had already cut a pretty good slot into it I tried a flat bladed screwdriver and using the flats on the shaft I was able to use a wrench to shock and add torque. Got it out. Yay yay!! Now I trying to figure out what is holding the spent primer tube in. I don't see any setscrews. So it's got to to be a friction fit. But it is not moving. The manual shows a screw there, but I don't see it. What I'm trying not to do is twist the damn tube so I won't be in able to reuse it. Tried heating the baseplate to expand it. No movement.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    great!
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Hello XDROB,

Wish I'd seen this earlier.
    17 years of carrying a tool pouch, we used to use a small center punch.
    Make a mark on the Bolt Head, then angle the punch & spin the bolt out.
    The ball end wrenches are nice if you can't get a straight shot on the bolt,
    but one learned quickly to make sure the bolt is loose before using them.
    I always carried both straight cut & the ball end wrenches.

AntiqueSledMan.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by AntiqueSledMan View Post
    Hello XDROB,

Wish I'd seen this earlier.
    17 years of carrying a tool pouch, we used to use a small center punch.
    Make a mark on the Bolt Head, then angle the punch & spin the bolt out.
    The ball end wrenches are nice if you can't get a straight shot on the bolt,
    but one learned quickly to make sure the bolt is loose before using them.
    I always carried both straight cut & the ball end wrenches.

AntiqueSledMan.
    Thank you. I did get it out. I am not s mechanic but worked in a dealership for over thirty years. He Ave worked 9b my own cars. Do have a little bit of common sense. I ended up cutting a good size slot in the screw head. Got part of the ram as you can see. Finally unbolted the press from the table. Layed it on it's side. Got a pretty much straight shot at it. Used a Snap On flat bladed screwdriver. They have a flat spot just under the handle. I used a wrench on that to give me more torque and I got it out. I didn't want to unbolt it, but that's what I had to do.

My problem now is the spent primer tube. It just won't move. The manual shows a screw in that area. But I don't see one. Not even a set screw. I heated the base plate with a small torch to expand the hole that it is in. Won't move. So before I ruin it. I'm going to call Hornady to see what's up with it.

WHAT A LESSON LEARNED!!

Last edited by XDROB; 02-28-2021 at 09:31 AM.

The primer tubes are a press fit, but I also suspect they're likely glued in also. The shellplate kit should have a stepped plug that fits in the end of the tube to keep you from crushing the tube while gripping it with a pair of channellocks or vice grips. If you can't wiggle the primer tube out, try tapping the plyers with a hammer to pull the tube out. There is a video on youtube that shows the disassembly for subplate replacement. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr4Ans_bpU4 the primer tube starts about 3:37. The primer tube on mine wouldn't wiggle at all and resorted to the tapping method.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    The primer tubes are a press fit, but I also suspect they're likely glued in also. The shellplate kit should have a stepped plug that fits in the end of the tube to keep you from crushing the tube while gripping it with a pair of channellocks or vice grips. If you can't wiggle the primer tube out, try tapping the plyers with a hammer to pull the tube out. There is a video on youtube that shows the disassembly for subplate replacement. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr4Ans_bpU4 the primer tube starts about 3:37. The primer tube on mine wouldn't wiggle at all and resorted to the tapping method.
    Thanks for that information.

I suspected something was holding it in. From what I can see there's not much of the tube in the hole. So why won't it move? I watched the video and saw the tool that you are talking about. I did not get that in the box. They sent new base plate, new screws for the base plate. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow.

There's nothing fancy about that stepped plug other than it fits the ID of the tube. A snug fitting drill bit shank would work also.

Boolit Grand Master
    Glad you finaly got it out.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Glad you finaly got it out.
    Thanks, I'm sure it would have been a lot sooner if I had not been so stubborn about unbolting it from the table. Part of that stubbornness was I didn't want to unbolt the case feeder. But it's done now.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    There's nothing fancy about that stepped plug other than it fits the ID of the tube. A snug fitting drill bit shank would work also.
    Another good thought!

Stuck a drill bit in and fought that tube off. Boy what tight fit! Press is back on the bench. Will start the final reassemble tomorrow. Then back to to the original task of timing the primer feeder and shell plate timing.
    Last edited by XDROB; 02-28-2021 at 06:51 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123