RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: more primers

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    MIght check out Midsouth for powder
    A buddy of mine managed to grab some powder from midsouth when it restocked and it was gone before he told me about it.

Boolit Master

Last week Midway got a shipment of IMI 9mm. $1200 per case, $60.00 per box of 50. Today I got an email notification that they are offering the same ammo with FREE shipping.

We haven't put the madness behind us yet, but maybe it has leveled off.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by downzero View Post
    Me either, but I'm still not becoming a seller, and that stuff is stacked deep on the shelf for a reason.
    Exactly my friend. I have empathy for those who couldn't afford to stock up on supplies. Then, there are those who have been through this a few times and decided a new $1,000 phone every 2 years (keeping up with the Jones), buying another lastest & greatest fantastic plastic handgun, dropping $$$ eating out...etc, you know the kind. I have no sympathy for them, they did it to themselves.

I retired 19 months ago after 35 years with the same outfit. I made plans and stuck to them. I picked up the guns I wanted along the way with overtime money, etc. I have what I need. It'd be a shame after all that if I didn't have ammunition to shoot in them, right?

Weather providing, if I feel like firing up the grill and tossing a couple of ribeyes on it this weekend, I can. And while the charcoal is getting ready, if I decide to burn a 100 rounds of magnums out of one of my handguns, I will. If I want to burn another 100 after eating, I'll do that too. I ain't rich, but I ain't poor either.

There seems to be two mindsets about the current reloading supply situation. One, it will go back to normal eventually. Two, we're doomed and what you have is all you're going to have, ever. I'm hoping for the sake of others, it'll be number One. What has really gotten me about it all, it seems some of the ones crying the loudest, had years to do something about it...and didn't.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Bub
    I wish I had stocked up more. I have several thousand primers and a decent amount of powder and components but I really wish I had really stocked up years ago. I guess if it comes back to normal I’ll stock up for the next round of these times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

I have enough to keep us going for a good while. I didn't buy my supplies to sell at a gougers price, if I had enough to sell some I would sell them for what I paid. Would you sell your food, even at an inflated price if you weren't sure when you would be able to replenish your supply? I certainly wouldn't.

Boolit Master
    What Murphy said. I am in a similar point in life with similar thoughts. Good post.

Reload all primers and caps now. So what ever way it gose for you will be set . Time will show what will give us. I seen how the things going on gunbrokers . But will not get into it . So i just stick with for what I have . Not into to make money later , just keep me with what I need . to keep doing what I want .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    I’m thinking about how to reach out to gunbroker and ask them to help regulate the sale of hazmat items. Even if there is no disaster, sure enough the news will eventually pick up on it and I doubt that headlines about illegal shipping of explosives (they’ll be even more dramatic) putting people and planes at risk will be good for the hobby long term.

I’m torn, free people doing free stuff vs enforce a few rules...how far down the slope are we going?
    It's always good to police our own before the gov feels they need to help.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by truckerdave397 View Post
    At a buck a piece I am cashing in and out of the game.
    You and me both!
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by high standard 40 View Post
    I'm looking at these ads on Gunbroker an eBay showing shipping at $8 to $10. What are they doing about hazmat?
    There is no requirement for a hazmat certified dealer to add a fee. They generally do the fee just to increase their profit margin.
    I am not sure what to think of this hazmat stuff. You have to be certified to ship powder or primers. Yet the average Joe can ship primed brass or ammo and no hazmat is required.
    Why are primers in a box safer than primers in a brass case?
    Powder............why is powder now safe to ship once it is inside a brass case WITH a primer?
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by truckerdave397 View Post
    At a buck a piece I am cashing in and out of the game.
    That’s very tempting. I’ve thought of selling most my stuff. I could be nearly debt free I think.

Boolit Bub
    If I could find a non corrosive recipe (that you can buy the chemicals for) to reload primers I would be all about it. I have the stuff to make bp and I think I need one more to make a corrosive primer....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    There is no requirement for a hazmat certified dealer to add a fee. They generally do the fee just to increase their profit margin.
    I am not sure what to think of this hazmat stuff. You have to be certified to ship powder or primers. Yet the average Joe can ship primed brass or ammo and no hazmat is required.
    Powder............why is powder now safe to ship once it is inside a brass case WITH a primer?
    The ammo is hazmat but there is an exception for small quantities so us regular guys can ship it with proper labeling.

I think you’ll agree that the energy in a 70lb box of loaded ammo is markedly less than in a 70lb box of primers or of powder. That’s just how I think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    Other way around.... You can ship Primed brass all day long with no hazmat. But loose primers in their OEM box requires hazmat.
    And the dealers PAY to take the hazmat training. They are just passing on the cost of sending their employees to get the training. Along with taking care of the paperwork for EACH shipment. Yeah, they probably make a bit of money on this, but it ain't that much.

One thing that most of you guys don't realize is that the gun industry has very slim margins. Things like primers and powder have been a maybe 10% margin for most dealers, just the same as Bud's selling a particular gun for 20% under msrp, which is in most cases less than my dealer cost. (or just a few dollars more)
    You are seeing a lot of dealers bump up the prices 5, 10 50% on stuff that is hard to find as they have to hunt it too and if people will pay, they will charge. It is what the market will bear. I myself have probably twice the powder I will ever use, but way less primers. Plenty for a few years, but not a lifetime. Will I try and buy at high prices? Nope.

Boolit Master
    Im not sure but think that when shipment is labeled hazmat it is shipped by ground or truck freight rather than in airplanes. there have been ups cargo jets brought down by hazmat cargo on board, big crash in Dubai, as well as the value jet crash that killed all the passengers in the everglades as result of hazmat cargo.
    should gunbroker police sales, someone should, every time there is a firearms related incident it gives the leftists more ammunition in their gun grabbing efforts.,
    if a cargo jet goes down as a result of some greedy idiot improperly shipping hazmat powder or primers we will all probably paying the price somehow.

Boolit Grand Master
    Murphy....good post.

We all have different circumstances and I understand that. But I see people making bad choices every day and then whining about the results.

I have no regret about taking advantage of....what is phrase used to make me feel guilty..."my shooting brothers" who did not plan. I have helped and will continue to help people I know who need ammunition to hunt or protect their homes.

I do not know how much shooting is "necessary" but I bet it is less than 1%. Especially for those on forums like this. Hard to feel the need the help others who just want to have fun. Even at current prices, $500 will buy enough to protect their home and family for a long time. Selling one of their least used rifles or pistols gets them there! BTW, plenty of primers listed at $100-120/k if you look around.

Things will get better, but unlikely to the levels of 2-3 years ago. I expect the "new normal" will be $50/k primers, $45/lb powder, $35/brick .22's once the panic/hoarding passes. My gut tells me that will happen in about a year. So, selling excess inventory (especially in primers and .22's), is a good "investment". Keeping a 4-5 year supply will provide a safe margin of error if the shortages last 2-3 years.

I can afford to shoot $100/k primers but am too cheap to waste money like that. We will be moving to shooting high end air guns for most of our plinking this year.

We find ourselves in a Catch-22. If we believe prices will never get better, can we "waste" money that could be used for other needs? If we believe primers will never be available again, why shoot up our inventory to make holes in paper or ring steel? Won't they be worth $500-1000/k? Is putting holes in paper that important? Not to me....and I love to shoot.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I remember several decades ago after getting transferred to Florida from Louisiana I had my reloading stuff stored in garage and a friend/aquaintance was over and saw reloading written on a box and asked about it. I ended up giving him a case/5000 Winchester shotgun primers, fast forward a year or so started shooting skeet again and regretted giving those primers away when I had to lay out more cash to replace them. I guess part of it was this I never saw said friend again.

Boolit Master

My wife mentioned I should sell half my primers for the 200-300$ a thousand like others are selling.. since I bought them for 25-35$ a thousand.. but I can't bring myself to do it.

While primers PROBABLY will come back.. and might be similar price.. who knows in this political climate... they might stay high.. or be much harder to get.. or stupid registration rules for ammo components may pop up... I'd rather just keep what i have...

Boolit Master
    Powder and primers are a commodity. When there are more primers produced than there are people who want to buy them, the price will drop. It'll just take some time. I'm expecting by mid-2022 that there will be a whole lot of guns and reloading equipment on the market for cheap, because less than half of the people who joined the mad rush to buy will have the interest and the inclination to really load and shoot regularly.

I'm not terribly worried about legislation getting in the way. 2020 saw record numbers of new gun buyers, as many as 23 million guns sold, 40% of which were to first time buyers. A whole lot of Democrats became gun owners over 2020's summer of "mostly peaceful protests."

There are 160 million voters in the last general election. There are 120 million gun-owning households in the US. Gun control is a lost cause at the national level. California and New Jersey will keep doing stupid stuff, but I can't be forced to live in those places.

I keep telling people: pay attention to your state, county, and city elections. Those are far more important to your life than who sits in the white house. Biden can babble about gun control all he wants, what matters is who your governor, mayor, and sheriff/police chief are. They set policy in your neighborhood. If the law says guns are a right, but they want to harass you, you're in for a world of hurt. On the flip side, if gun control laws pass nationally but your county sheriff refuses to enforce them, then they don't mean anything to you. Start the closest to home, and work your way up as it matters.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Agree, democrats and republicans don't want to spend the political capital they have on the national level to mess around with guns, they just want to stay in power and keep the fat checks coming, rocking the boat stops that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast