Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: loading .32 winchester special with black powder

Boolit Buddy

loading .32 winchester special with black powder

I have an 1894 carbine that I have shot a couple of deer and an elk with using j bullets. I've shot a few deer with cast in my .308 and .38-55(that I foolishly sold).
    Now I want to try to harvest a deer with black powder in my .32 win. I've been plinking with the lee 175 gr.324 boolit, with the nose flattened a little, sized at .323.
    Ive been lubing them with alox or my lubesizer, but I'm thinking that won't be enough for black powder.
    Any advice on which lube(I have beeswax), whether I can use a grease cookie, or how to keep it running and accurate, would be appreciated. I have all summer to figure it out, I'm getting ready to scrub the barrel out real good and start loading pretty quick.
    Last edited by samwithacolt; 02-23-2021 at 12:21 AM.

Give SPG a try.

USMC 77, USRA 79

i have done it as well... originally I used alox boolits and smeared the base with a mix of SPG and ballistol.. but SPG is the standard these days and all you need. i did take a young Black and several Blacktails with a case full of BP.. i used a flat nosed boolit 323165 or something like that.. i sure love my marlin in 32 win. i diddnt shoot it at all hunting last season.. and used the 308.. next year I am gunna use my contender...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the replies. Can I lube the base and just load the boolit directly on the powder? Do I need a card or will the powder be ok? I need to play with a fired case and an unlubricated boolit, but I'm pretty sure it's below the neck.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by samwithacolt View Post
    I have an 1894 carbine that I have shot a couple of deer and an elk with using j bullets. I've shot a few deer with cast in my .308 and .38-55(that I foolishly sold).
    Now I want to try to harvest a deer with black powder in my .32 win. I've been plinking with the lee 175 gr.324 boolit, with the nose flattened a little, sized at .323.
    Ive been lubing them with alox or my lubesizer, but I'm thinking that won't be enough for black powder.
    Any advice on which lube(I have beeswax), whether I can use a grease cookie, or how to keep it running and accurate, would be appreciated. I have all summer to figure it out, I'm getting ready to scrub the barrel out real good and start loading pretty quick.
    That LEE boolit looks to have half decent lube grooves - use SPG or your own imitation - not Alox !!!!
    Deer hunting if you could get three good shots away would be sufficient? (Five be better) then give it a quick clean (bore snake maybe?) and go again. That might be easier than messing around with grease cookies - the boolit is a gas check? no ? maybe use a juice box wad over the powder. I am no fan of lube cookies they are a pain - a necessary evil sometimes tho. A decent boolit designed for black is many times more better.

My 38/55 will stay on target through a string of fifteen or twenty with the LEE 379/250 - it looks a little better lubed than your boolit but not a big lot. Good lube you be ok I reckon.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, I see another .38-55 in my future but it won't be any time soon. I had the lee 250 gr mold for it and it had way better lube grooves than the lee 8mm. After I gas check and size the 8mm, the lube grooves are very small. I need to cast some more with a soft lead and lube them accordingly.
    For hunting, I only need one or two shots but for load development and general convenience I'd like to get as many shots as possible before cleaning.