Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCBS Partner press. Im not sure about it.

Boolit Master

RCBS Partner press. Im not sure about it.

The linkage is awful sloppy. Its just pined on. I was planning on using the press for primer pocket swaging. And use with my universal flaring dies. And some rifle loading. 243 and 6.5 Creedmoor. Think i'll just order another 8 station turret for my Lyman. Or am i not giving the little press enough credit?
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had one back when they first came out. For a small press, I liked it. I never did anything heavy duty with it, but I did load rifle rounds up to .270 Weatherby on it.

I don't remember a lot of slop in the linkage, but that was close to thirty years ago too.

Yet another thing that disappeared in one of the many moves in a naval career...

Robert

Boolit Master
    Sloppy linkage is not uncommon is some presses. Your press will serve you well for what you describe.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I still have the one that was in my first kit of my tools 25 yr ago . The ram has a little slop in it now but it's loaded probably 20-25,000 rounds . Per RCBS it has a design life of 50,000 rounds .
    It's always had a little bit of pivot on the center link movement . I loaded a lot of 06' on it some of which required a hard cam over and hold to get in their rifle .
    I will fully admit that the desert dust and hard carbon wasn't good for it and I didn't do nearly enough to keep it clean . It's not a RockChucker and doesn't pretend to be .
    For use as an etc press it should easily go it's 250,000 + design strokes . In addition to the loaded ammo I spent a winter sizing and flairing every case I had on hand so they would be ready to load . Ive done 6,000 or so 38/357, 9,40 &45 ACP and 1000 223 since then and sized 10k plus bullets it's now reduced to ram prime duty doing 200 or so a month . I'm pretty sure it's reached it's design life . An inquiry to RCBS resulted in the usual send it in we'll take a look and repair or replace . So after 26 yr , 10 of which it was the only horse , for about $16 I can get a new replacement . I don't see a loss or failure there .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

Thanks for the replies. Glad i will have no worries with it.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

I use mine for decapping, but it does have some slop in the linkage no doubt. It’s done a great job of decapping thousands upon thousands of brass in the 10+ years I’ve had it.
    In Christ,

JC

Boolit Buddy
    I might be misunderstanding the OP. But I dont think slop in the linkage is as important as other aspects. It can usually be tightened up. How much the ram moves when at the top of the stroke is more important I would think. The tightness of the linkage is more of a feel thing IMO. If I take all slop out of the linkage of my Redding Big Boss 2 or my Rockchucker they dont feel that smooth.

Boolit Master
    Try it out before you order a new one.
    Seeming to be very loose, it is still accurate in the ram alignment where it counts.

Boolit Master

Yeah the ram has no slop. Im going to load some .223 on it and see how it does.
    One round at a time.

Boolit Master
    Your little Partner is a good tool even with it's alum alloy body but it's obviously not some 30 pounds of cast iron. (Many people love to pee on Lee's supposed "pot metal" presses but don't bat an eye at the Partner; I guess because it has green paint. ??) Like anything else, it's a great tool when used as the maker intended.

Having a "tight ram" is greatly over rated. I know that some serious BR competitors have used Partners with lathe turned rams specifically so there would be enough slop in the ram for their cases to easily and precisely self-center into custom made FL dies.

Keep your Partner's mounting bolts tight and don't get too heavy on the lever when swaging primer pockets and you'll be fine for a very long time.

And, yeah, RCBS will usually replace anything that breaks but it sure ain't for free, the "free one" was fully paid for in the original price.

Boolit Buddy
    I used mine with the rcbs primer swager and it worked fine, I beat on the thing and it never broke.

I got mine in 1984 and used it for everything until 2000 when I bought a partner at a garage sale and realized it would not work on the Partner so got a Rock Chucker for that. I finally replaced it with a RcCS when I found one here for a good price. I loaded 300 Weatherby and used it to resize up to 50 cal with push thru dies till then. It was replaced because I wanted a Rock Chucker it still has a place on the bench.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

My neighbor is going to give me a washer from a trailer hitch. To put on the base of the ram for when im swaging. If i need to give it a sharp bump to remove the casing. He's going to cut a slot for the priming ram assy. He has a body shop and the equipment to do a nice job. I was going to cut it with a sawzall lol. He goes ''no no i'll make it nice for you''.

And i loaded some .243 ammo in it for my son. It did a nice job.
    One round at a time.

Boolit Master

If the ram is true inn the bore..linkage slop can be solved by re pinning or bushing.

Boolit Master

It did come with 2 extra linkage washers. Maybe their for taking up some of the slop? Loading the 243's it didn't bother me. One trick i learned was to flip the priming arm back for bullet seating.
    One round at a time.

Boolit Master
    The sloppy linkage has no affect once your dies are properly adjusted so the slop is eliminated. This is pretty much true of any press. I just use mine for bullet seating, I leave the heavy lifting to my Lyman Orange Crusher.

Boolit Master

Im with you on the Lyman. I have the brass smith 8 station turret press. It's a beast.
    One round at a time.

I broke one, they are not very heavy duty.

RCBS replaced it for free, and I do not use the replacement for anything that requires any real pressure on the lever.

Boolit Master

A friend tried to use his for .500 S&W. It wasn’t nearly enough press.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

I can imagine some struggle with it for 500 sw. Im going to stick with utility work with it. When i was sizing the 243. I had to use a lot of lube.
    One round at a time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast