Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Still weird shortages?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    gas prices can't be set or raised or lowered by American politicians.
    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/wh...es-11603992805

Prices could take a significant turn higher, however, if Democrat Joe Biden turns out to the winner of the Nov. 3 election, according to a recent analysis conducted by GasBuddy.

“A Joe Biden presidency would favor more environmental controls with respect to drilling and emissions, increasing fuel mileage standards, alternative vehicle power like electricity, expanded tax credits benefiting fuel efficient vehicle owners, and evolving from fossil fuels,” the report said. On the other hand, if President Donald Trump, a Republican, is re-elected, his policies would be “generally regarded as populist and pro-business, while perhaps marginalizing environmental factors.”

Either approach will have “significant implications for the supply/demand balance, which will impact what the average American will pay per gallon,” GasBuddy said.

“Traditionally, presidents had limited ability to move the needle at the gas pump, but in recent years that has changed,” said Patrick De Haan, head of petroleum analysis at GasBuddy, in a recent statement. He also said Biden openly stated that “he would end drilling, curbing U.S. oil production and end fracking, which could potentially send oil prices and thus gas prices higher.”
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    That reminds me that almost all of the coffee creamer was gone at Walmart. Another weird random item to be almost out of.

I stopped by the former guns and ammo counter and the guy asked me if there was anything he could help me with. I asked when they are going to get primers, powders, and bullets back in stock. He said that their supplier of all of their reloading supplies decided to no longer supply Walmart partly due to Walmart's decision to remove pistol and "assault" rifle ammo from their shelves. He said the supplier has given all of their other customers higher priority over Walmart and that it could be years before WM ever gets product again.
    Nice to see a business making a stand against SprawlMart and letting them know that their stupid decisions have consequences...

Boolit Master

do I need to go to one of those crazy house doctors for some special medications.
    I’d just as soon have the meds myself, and some of those 2023 batteries!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    Cheez Whiz meets all but one of the Minimum Daily Adult Nutritional Requirements. That’s where bacon fits in.
    my favorite was venison summer sausage and spray cheese.

Boolit Master
    gas prices can't be set or raised or lowered by American politicians.
    gas prices are based on supply and demand in the global market. OPEC still has a bunch of ways to put their fingers on the scale,
    global oil prices bottomed out when covid shut the world down, lack of demand and huge supplies, now the world is coming back alive and the supply and production has changed as demand is increasing. increasing demand+lack of surplus=higher prices.
    does any of this make any senses or do I need to go to one of those crazy house doctors for some special medications.
    I know it was a long time ago but didn't the Carter administration impose price controls on gasoline back in the late 70s?
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Buddy
    Nixon and Carter both tried the price controls. It turned out to be a huge failure. They had some ability to freeze the price of oil being pumped from old wells. So the companies could simply stop pumping from the old wells, or sell it through a string of buyers with each marking up as permitted until they got to the going price. The president had no ability to freeze the costs of what was being imported. It was all a miserable failure and hasn't been considered since.

The best control on price a president can put in place is allowing more drilling and relaxing regulations. By that measure the energy companies can put more oil in the system. After that it's supply and demand that keeps the cost down.

Boolit Master
    Those that forget history are forced to repeat it . (George Santayana 1863-1953)

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Those that forget history are forced to repeat it ...........
    /\ HOW TRUE /\

As for the failures of price controls, I totally agree with BamaNapper that the ONLY thing government intervention can accomplish are negative outcomes. The free market works when it is free.

It's has been a strange time in America of late. Those of us here have been aware of firearm and ammunition shortages. I think as a whole those of us on the site, tend to forget the rest of the country has been faced with what we're seeing. Unless, you count the great toilet paper shortage of 2020. I'm quiet sure there some folks, some where out there who have full pallets of toilet paper now stored, wrapped in water proof, rat proof containers. The civil unrest helped nothing, and the election pushed things to an even higher level of fear. After all, how many here would spend 1/2 their paycheck this weekend if they could spend it on reloading supplies at 2019 prices?

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Bub
    I would spend 3 months wages tonight at 2019 prices

Boolit Master

I would but local ordinances would prohibit that .

Idaho45Guy: While I sympathize with your plight, I don't abide with your means. Walmart doesn't show us LOVE and Tyson Foods takes some of their profits to advocate against YOUR 2nd rights. No love there either. Have a great day. Fireball
    If you don't have AMMUNITION, your rifle is a CLUB.

Boolit Master

Idaho,

Do yourself a favor and research "Expiration dates". Canned food is good for years. It's in manufacturers self-interest to get people to throw good stuff away and buy more. When you start looking around, you'll see dates on water & salt. Who knows how old that stuff is and it never, ever expires.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    Idaho,

Do yourself a favor and research "Expiration dates". Canned food is good for years. It's in manufacturers self-interest to get people to throw good stuff away and buy more. When you start looking around, you'll see dates on water & salt. Who knows how old that stuff is and it never, ever expires.

Cat
    I was always under the assumption that the expiration date on water had to do with the plastic bottle breaking down and leaching stuff into the water.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    Idaho,

Cat
    I had a can of cream of mushroom soup that expired in 2019 that I found a few months ago. I had bought it in 2017. I opened it up and it was indeed bad...

Attachment 278576

I also recently tried a can of Chef Boyardee chili mac that was just expired and it was not right. Of course, I think all of their offerings have gotten pretty gross the past ten years or so.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

The wife is pretty adamant about the “best used by” date the put on all food products now. If the package says Best Used By 2-27-21 she absolutely will not consume it, unless it is a Hersey Milk Chocolate with Almonds candy bar. Then again those don’t last long around here.

Boolit Master
    John Malkovich in the movie RED2 was caught eating a 50 year old Moon Pie. He said it was OK because it was made before sell by dates.

If the seal is intact the food does not go bad in a few years. 100 year old cans have been opened with the food still safe. It may not be as appetizing as it was but it's not "bad". Expiration dates are there to make money, not to protect the public.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    It's has been a strange time in America of late. Those of us here have been aware of firearm and ammunition shortages. I think as a whole those of us on the site, tend to forget the rest of the country has been faced with what we're seeing. Unless, you count the great toilet paper shortage of 2020. I'm quiet sure there some folks, some where out there who have full pallets of toilet paper now stored, wrapped in water proof, rat proof containers. The civil unrest helped nothing, and the election pushed things to an even higher level of fear. After all, how many here would spend 1/2 their paycheck this weekend if they could spend it on reloading supplies at 2019 prices?

Murphy
    Quote Originally Posted by poorman View Post
    I would spend 3 months wages tonight at 2019 prices
    If I could get primers and powder at 2019 prices right now I'd easily spend $5k in a heartbeat.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    I am going to show my Granddaughter this thread. She is fixated on my habit of ignoring the "best before" dates. Last trip to the cabin, when I went up to the lake to close up for the winter, ALL the cans and packages had 2020 marked on them with a sharpie. My first aid kit gets a through investigation every time we are up there and I catch holy crap if she finds outdated Ozanol, Polysporin etc. Most stuff is useable for several years after the date they put on the label, with some exceptions.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master

When tin cans were tinned (seams sealed with lead), food from tin cans was a danger. Google the Franklin Expedition. As long as the can isn't rusted through, it's still edible. Though perhaps not as tasty.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast