Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Still weird shortages?

Boolit Master
    Gosh, it's almost like you all live in a different country. The only thing I haven't found for an extended time (greater than 6 months) is regular Ball lids, and jalapeño SPAM! Easy Off? I bought 3 huge cans at Lowe's last week to strip cast iron pans with, I had to do something while it was frozen over! Off course the shelves where wiped during the freeze out, the most surprising being soft drinks! Maybe we're just in a good part of the country as far as supply goes, and I guess it helps if they raise and process those stinky chickens, cows, and pigs where you live!

Banned
    I noticed all the aluminum foil was gone ,thought that was strange in deed but then I remembered all the tinfoil hats people are wearing these days .

Boolit Master

Haven't seen Tyson chicken strips for months. Most notably my favorite Mango Habanero flavor. Weird. Wonder if the plant that produces them has been down due to Covid, or what. I also noticed that canned chopped clams from Bumblebee have been gone for a few months. I use them to make my favorite comfort food; claim dip. Just went online and did a search and they are out nationwide.

I don't recall ever seeing such a shortage of random items in my 52 years. Just weird and unsettling.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by shampine View Post
    I noticed all the aluminum foil was gone ,thought that was strange in deed but then I remembered all the tinfoil hats people are wearing these days .
    If you are totally oblivious to the really strange and unsettling things that are occurring nationally, and globally, then that is just sad. But to make fun of others who are noticing the changes is just hateful and ignorant.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Banned
    I don't understand how a person can't be prepared . Maybe it's a frozen North thing, but I could not imagine not being able to survive at least a month with what I have in storage...and it gets 30 below zero here before windchill . I see folks spending 5 bucks on a cup of coffee, I think...damn, I could buy a lot of rice with that 5 bucks .

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    Gosh, it's almost like you all live in a different country. The only thing I haven't found for an extended time (greater than 6 months) is regular Ball lids, and jalapeño SPAM! Easy Off? I bought 3 huge cans at Lowe's last week to strip cast iron pans with, I had to do something while it was frozen over! Off course the shelves where wiped during the freeze out, the most surprising being soft drinks! Maybe we're just in a good part of the country as far as supply goes, and I guess it helps if they raise and process those stinky chickens, cows, and pigs where you live!
    ball lids, ammo and components are all i see gone. One good thing is because of paranoia, ive got toilet paper stacked to the ceiling in the den. Three freezers full of meat and enough canned goods to feed 20 people for a month.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    That's mighty tough to do for most folks. So many things that I hadn't thought of that crop up all the time.

Like the CR 2032 batteries for my weapon red dots that I have on 4 of my rifles. Went to take one to the range to make sure it was still sighted in and discovered the battery was dead. So I look in my range bag and discover that I'm down to my last battery. I go to Walmart and they are completely out of them. Found a small hardware store that had four of them left, bought them all. That's only one back up for each rifle. Then I noticed that the weapon lights on 3 of my firearms used the CR123 battery. Only had two extras. None available locally. Went online and ordered 12 of them. Should be good for a couple of years, now.

But just trying to get caught up on batteries for my weapon lights and optics was an extra $50 expense. I can't imagine folks on limited income being able to be prepared for every emergency.

Last February, I only had a couple of weeks worth of food. So, I went out and spent about $150 on various food stores just in case. About two months worth of food. Mostly canned foods and freeze-dried stuff. Most of it is expired in a month or so. I'll have to take it all to the local food bank, or throw it away.
    Costco has the 2032 batteries. I know because I bought a few packs a bit ago. Going back there today actually. Might be able to get them online also but not sure with battery shipping on what it does to total cost. Good luck.
    Ron

Banned
    I'm not sure a local supply issue on some selected items qualifies as a "shortage". Particularly if we're talking about a very short time frame (1 or 2 days) and 2 stores.

I don't think any conclusions can be drawn from that data.

Boolit Master
    I am having troubles getting HVAC equipment and parts ,water heaters,you name it .Oh add price increases on about everything.

Boolit Master
    I don't know bout the other stuff but since moving to Appalachia I've noticed that mason jars are a seasonal thing, once the leaves come back on the trees, moonshine season, there are lots of mason jars and sacks of corn everywhere seems even every little gas station has pallets of em but once the leaves fall you only might see some at like rural king or something like that.

Boolit Bub
    I tried to buy circuit breakers a couple weeks ago and Home Depot was sold out of the ones I needed. The guy working that area said that they’re having trouble getting them and have been selling out regularly.

Walmart has always had issues keeping random things in stock.
    Some of the items that stick out to me is

Walmart brand lemonade flavor squeeze bottles like the mio brand, they had plenty of other flavors but the lemonade flavor was out of stock for about two years.

Milos lemonade. I had been buying it at another store and noticed walmart had it, so i started buying at walmart since it was a little cheaper, about a month later out of stock. Asked about it amd they told me they changed distribution centers and the new one doesnt have milos lemonade. The milo tea section is absolutly huge now.
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    I saw that YouTube. He also said ammo on GB was still $$$$ but the number of bidders was down from 30-40 to 10-15. He said because of this he thinks ammo prices have topped and will start to come down some. But reloading components haven’t peaked yet. I watch his videos once in a while, kinda like the guy. Hope he’s right but with the manufacturers forecasting a year + backlog, his projections may be optimistic. If you can get $.75 cent or $1.00 a round plus shipping for 9mm on GB why would you sell it in a store for 50 cents?
    I didn't get the idea he was being optimistic. Overall he was saying 4-6 yrs before prices normalize. Ammo and primers have topped out on GB, but powder is still going up. 4-6 yrs is too far out to be encouraging. BUT, no point sinking into a pit of despair. It will only be 6 mos to a year for us to get a much clearer idea of the where the current administration is taking us.

I wasn't much impressed with the first couple CRS videos I watched. He looks and acts like a light weight. I was wrong. He knows his stuff. Either he's much smarter than he lets on, or a savant.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tinsnips View Post
    I am having troubles getting HVAC equipment and parts ,water heaters,you name it .Oh add price increases on about everything.
    Yeah I've lost a couple jobs this year because of no parts or equipment anywhere. One compressor came in so late I'm sitting on it waiting for it to warm up enough to install it.

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=Idaho45guy;5126225]That's mighty tough to do for most folks.

It is I realize that there are things one will always find out he can not find or thought he had or overlooked , working where I do you order provisions , and as long as what is used is kept track of you can keep supplies on hand if you have storage room for them.

I was stocked on toilet tissue before the big panic , I have family members living with me so I try to keep a stock of extra food and consumables on hand , as to cr 2032 batteries those were cmos on motherboards along with a other size or so , have some of them from working on computers , I bought my weapon sights by the criteria of battery style on what will and is most available , so it is triple a or double a , son in law pointed out to me the life on battery in comp m4s aimpoint , so when I buy a sight I try for a shake awake or extremely long life .

I also know that cost is what prevents some from being able to stock up , as we have seen some on here who are short of needed components because of limited income , as to expiration dates on food , I was raised poor and as a younger man working in the woods money was tight , food gets thrown out only if it is uneatable , I have made many a soup or stew from expired can goods and freezer burned meat . Made clam chowder at work with the spoiled milk , it was fine , I see yogurt and sour cream being tossed and my comment is why? it is already spoiled milk .

Anyway glad you got what you needed , I am back to another long session casting bullets out of the stuff I got , man that one batch is hard and then coating it for him .

Boolit Buddy
    Haven't seen Tyson chicken strips for months. Most notably my favorite Mango Habanero flavor. Weird. Wonder if the plant that produces them has been down due to Covid, or what.
    Our local news reported certain Tyson plants being trimmed lean and eventually closed due to workers with the Ronas. That was months ago but those plants process hundreds of thousands of birds each day. If they slow down due to lowered staff or stop completely that results in a big drop in supply during a period of high demand. I imagine it will take quite a while to catch up and they’ll likely prioritize higher volume products before the more specialized cuts.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by monadnock#5 View Post
    I wasn't much impressed with the first couple CRS videos I watched. He looks and acts like a light weight. I was wrong. He knows his stuff. Either he's much smarter than he lets on, or a savant.
    I find him entertaining as heck. Just a regular guy with an interesting perspective on things I like. The White Board and Knife-type pointer props, along with the way he organizes his thoughts fit with his presentation. Not saying I’d buy Enron on his recommendation, but I still like him.

Boolit Grand Master
    Anyone else noticed that Walmart and large grocery stores are out of random items?

And not the typical panic pandemic stuff like TP, cleaning supplies, canned meat, etc. But odd stuff. I went to Walmart today to grab some de-icer, frozen meals, TP, chicken strips, olive oil, corned-beef hash, razor blades, and look for a gun rack mount for an ATV.

De-icer, gone. Chicken strips from Tyson, gone. Corned beef hash, gone. Wanted some extra CR-2032 batteries for my red dot weapon lights and they were gone. Plenty of TP and Spam, and canned meat. But corned beef hash completely wiped out. Weird. Girlfriend wanted California-brand olive oil, specifically. It was gone. Plenty of other brands, but wiped out of that brand. Went to another grocery store in town and they were also out of corned beef hash and that brand of olive oil, and the Tyson chicken strips. Weird.

Seems there are lots of random bare spots on the shelves that I don't recall ever seeing before. Just happened to need certain items today and they were mostly gone.

None of the items I needed were made in China, which I noticed earlier in the year were in short supply, but seem to be available again.

It was just unsettling to see bare shelves like you see in Russia and other communist countries.
    now that you mention it I have noticed a item that has been missing from
    store shelves for a long time now it's not a big ticket item but none the less gone
    Ortega taco sauce might be a regional thing but not available
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    now that you mention it I have noticed a item that has been missing from
    store shelves for a long time now it's not a big ticket item but none the less gone
    Ortega taco sauce might be a regional thing but not available
    My wife usually gets me a can of "Cheese Wizz" or Kraft "Easy Cheese" a couple times a year as a treat,,
    (you know,, the stuff Elwood brought back to the boarding house, for the guy playing cards)

Well,, that has not been in a store for easily 4-5 months, or longer,, not even Walmart,,

In Food Lion Grocery Store, they even eliminated the spot that had been empty for months,, so, there is not even a spot for it, if they did get some in,,,

The store manager told me they eliminated the spot, so people would hopefully quit asking about it,,

Boolit Master

Come out of the cave more often.

Covid for a year. Huge storm last week among other things.

There's a shortage of aluminum cans for soda due to COVID. Storm stalled the truckers. Lots of places have been/are shutting down due to COIVD. Food processing plants have been hit HARD due to COVID.

I buy my 2032 batteries online for half or less than what the stores charge. I buy them 50 at a time. Same with my 1632 batteries.
    NRA Benefactor.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast