Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Hornady Lock N Load Electronic Measure With Static Problem

Boolit Grand Master

Hornady Lock N Load Electronic Measure With Static Problem

Wife got it for me a couple of years ago and it's pretty accurate but a problem has surfaced. I wipe the inside with a dryer sheet and keep one in the hopper when not in use. That's worked fine up till this week. I was loading some 38sp WC I powdered coated a few days ago with 3.0gr Bullseye and when I emptied the hopper it was stuck to the sides. First time loading BE in it as I don't use Bullseye but I have several pounds I thought I'd use up. Is this static common with BE?

Any suggestions?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

I use mechanical measures and have had good luck applying a dusting of antistatic spray to the exteriors prior to use.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

I've heard that folks working on sensitive electronic components ground everything, including themselves when working with them.

I'd try that, and maybe get some of that 'cling free' from the grocery store.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

I've suffered through it with TiteGroup with the standard L-N-L Powder Measure for years, just won't let go of the plastic hopper.
    The glass replacement hoppers are supposed to be free of this problem, but I don't have $75 to spare. Not with components prices going thru the roof. I just wipe it out with a dryer sheet or 3 out on the lawn.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    I wipe mine down with an anti static dryer sheet.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I've heard that folks working on sensitive electronic components ground everything, including themselves when working with them.

I'd try that, and maybe get some of that 'cling free' from the grocery store.
    I've got it sitting on a rubber mat but I'm not sure how to ground it better. It's pretty much all plastic. It seems to throw fine. I check the weights with a GemPro 250 every 10 or so and it's within -.05-+.05gr or .1 occasionally which is fine since I'm never near top end.

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I've got it sitting on a rubber mat.
    You're insulated, and attracting or trapping static, not grounding and discharging it.

Look at pictures of 'electronics static grounding straps'.
    Get one, or make your own with a thin wire.
    Put one on the powder tube running to something that is on, or connects to a concrete floor.
    Same with yourself.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

No concrete on a second floor

Boolit Master

Do you have grounded outlets? Either an electrician or someone familiar working wiring could connect a ground wire to the outlet.

I am currently building in a rural area where I am allowed to do my own wiring and am doing so. If I were within city limits of the nearest town, only a licensed electrician would be allowed to do so.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Mold

JonP -> some anti-static ideas...

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    No concrete on a second floor
    Hi JonP,

Having a good ground can be pretty easy almost anywhere. Being electrically minded, personally I would pull a ground off of an outlet, I cannot really suggest that you do that. But, here's some other things... ... Water pipes, as long as they are metal, pretty much all metal water pipes lead to a good ground plane. And there are any devices that use a ground conductor in their plug. Desktop computer, fridge, range, etc. (Deeper yet... the 'neutral' conductor in a standard US house 'should' be ground also.... but don't mess with that! Just going on to say that any device in your house that uses 110v AC is actually grounded. Really interesting...)

All that being said, a basic way to go about grounding is to just attach a bare ended wire to what you want to ground (to unpainted metal) and the other bare end to, say, the back frame of your computer case. And that should do it.

Coming from the tech industry, I personally have an anti-static mat and a wrist ground. Maybe you can get something like this and clip the ground to whatever ground plane you can find.

Here's a search link to random sources... https://duckduckgo.com/?t=canonical&...ages&ia=images

BTW, I have been noticing a lot more static in every day life lately. So, this issue you are having may just pass (weather)... but, it will also help to take everything off of your insulating plane and try that for now... (the rubber).

Good luck!!

\\\ Kevin........................

Boolit Master
    No need to call an electrician.

Static builds on dry insulators that rub together; that includes most hard plastics, glass, rubber and some fabrics such as silk and wool. We can kill static charges with a modest wipe of a damp fabric and soap. Or spray a light mist of any commercial static killer such as "Cling Free". Let it dry alone, don't rub it down with a dry cloth or paper towel or you'll build the static charge right back on.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    Do you have grounded outlets? Either an electrician or someone familiar working wiring could connect a ground wire to the outlet.

I am currently building in a rural area where I am allowed to do my own wiring and am doing so. If I were within city limits of the nearest town, only a licensed electrician would be allowed to do so.
    All outlets are grounded, I ran the entire house myself and drove the copper ground rod to ground the sub box and the main box is also grounded. I'll get a bottle of the spray static stuff. I'm kinda stumped as I have always used a dryer sheet to wipe the inside of the machine and that worked fine.

Boolit Master

I run a combination of wood and oil heat. Issues with static electricity are terrible this time of year. The arc from my finger to the light switch after getting out of my recliner is easily seen. Using a powder measure became such a frustration to fix that I started spraying it prophylactically. That's worked out so well for me that it's the first thing I do at any time of the year.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Master
    If you have a drill press or table saw or other metal tools with a grounded plug even a casting pot you can clip a wire to the metal and attach the other end to your PM

Boolit Master
    wipe out the inside with undiluted Dawn dishwashing detergent on a paper towel.
    Only needs a damp wipe down inside and out.
    Let air dry fully before using.
    Last edited by Alferd Packer; 02-27-2021 at 02:18 PM.

Boolit Master

I have the Hornady L&L and have never had a static problem with the powder tube.
    I have had a static problem with my powder funnel putting the powder in the cases.
    A quick wipe with a used anti static dryer sheet solves the problem.
    I would try one on the dispenser tube.

Boolit Buddy
    If your 3 prong wall plug is "grounded correctly", screw a bonding wire from your measure to the center screw on the wall plate. The screw is part of the ground and a length of stranded 18ga wire is low cost. Many anti static mates use this as there method of bonding.
    Shaune509

Boolit Buddy
    The screws that hold the cover on any electrical outlet are grounded.

Boolit Buddy
    Should have said "wired correctly" as hot to hot, neutral to neutral and ground to ground, have seen many outlets that first one tested correct and the next was reversed this allows a 3 wire device to be chassis hot. One plus to having a competent inspection, but that can not be garenteed.
    Shaune509

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Alferd Packer View Post
    wipe out the inside with undiluted Dawn dishwashing detergent on a paper towel.
    Only needs a damp wipe down inside and out.
    Let air dry fully before using.
    Are just wash the tube in Dawn and let it dry with out a rinse.reinstall works great on mine also worked on my auto charge pro.��
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here