Thread: Remington 722 Mannlicher

Boolit Buddy

Remington 722 Mannlicher

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1681.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	278322
    New to me a 722 in 6mm custom in 6mm Remington with a 244 Remington twist! 1in 12, stamped on the barrel is 6mm Remington which denotes 1in10 but checking the twist it came up with the slower twist i.e. under 90 gr. boolits probably not going to make much of a cast boolit shooter! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1680.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	278323Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1679.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	278324
    Semper Fidelis, to God, Country and Corps!

I really like full stocks and have begun to get a few, Remington,Ruger and Winchester both made some nice fullstocks. You’re right probably not the best cast bullet shooter but a dandy jacketed shooter.

Boolit Buddy

Great speed goat gun!

Boolit Buddy

Nice looking rifle. Im interested in getting one in 222 Rem for coyote hunting.

Boolit Buddy

Serial number puts it at 1948 action gun was probably put together in the 60's

Boolit Buddy
    Very nice!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Prodigal Son View Post
    Serial number puts it at 1948 action gun was probably put together in the 60's
    Very nice rifle, what a beauty.

I did not realize you can age a 722 by the serial number ? I thought, like the 700s the date code was stamped on the barrel ? I always like learning about these nice old rifles.

Banned

Nice! I don't know, that slow twist may be better for cast bullets than a faster one. A 722 in .244 is one of my bucket list guns.

I have a 6mm mold and sizer and have cast some up but not shot them through my 6mm yet

Boolit Buddy

Well the gal will make a nice gun for deer I'm sure, just a sucker for a Mannlicher

My 722 is chambered for 243 Win and I have been loading a 93gn powder coated boolit.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Buddy

What weight and speed please

My buddy had a 257 Mannlicher. I can’t remember if 722 or 721. He bought the stock from Herters.
    They had a great selection of stocks back in 60s. I was always going to buy a fancy stock for my 722 in 222 but it’s like new to this day. Since I’ve had Sako, Win and Ruger. None of which were target grade. Those type rifles were made to hunt the woods anyway.

Boolit Master

I recommend pulling the action out of the stock and flushing the trigger mechanism with solvent. The "trigger in a box" is a great place for 70-year-old solidified oil to be lurking, waiting to cause problems. My weakness is for 722s in .300 Savage. I have two, and both their triggers were well gunked-up when I got them.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Lighter fluid is the usual recommended fluid for trigger flush..... I use naptha(largely what lighter fluid is). If it were mine,would drop in a new firing pin spring(gretan has them for 5$),and really clean out the bolt.

Then,would calmly,and carefully reach over and grab some Saeco 85g,cast medium-hard. First load would be in the 20g area of H4198,seated to as long of OAL that insures about 98% loaded round extraction. If that gun won't shoot this load,well.... then you might say it won't shoot cast?

Good luck with your project,she's a beautiful rig.

*I shoot a LOT of 6mm Rem. The 85g Saeco is one of my most accomplished moulds. Extremely good roundness,and jaw dropping consistency in dropped weight. It's a bore ride so you "may" have to nose size if looking for nirvana. My 700V/Redfield rig is one of those factory guns that you hand a JB shooter/big mouth and let him see what bugholes are about.

Banned

Very nice...........I’m a succer for mannlicher stocks!

I'm also an admirer of mannlicher stocks. My 1st. center fire bolt gun was a 722 in .244. I bought it from Montgomery Ward in '59 for $75.00. Mine had a medium heavy 26" bbl. & was very accurate. It shot the Speer RN 100 gr. bullets OK (they were shorter than the 100 gr. spitzers). I loved that cartridge so much that I also bought the 1st. edition of the 700 in 6mm Rem.: those had the 20" bbl. My grandson owns it now & the last I saw it was in 95% condition. I always thought it would look good in a mannlicher stock especially with the Leopold 1X4 straight tube scope that it wears.

Boolit Buddy

Will look into the trigger thing as right now it's crisp with very little creep in it! Thanks for the advice and all the compliments on this old girl!

Boolit Master
    My 722 has never had the trigger recall done on it. It makes tiny holes and have had no safety issues with it so I don't want to change anything.

Boolit Grand Master

Love Mannlichers! Very nice rifle.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy

Splendid rifle. Enjoy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast