RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: .357 magnum load needed

Boolit Buddy

.357 magnum load needed

I'm using MP359640 170 gr. cast using WW. Fired in a Henry Rifle. Anyone have load(s) using GREEN DOT POWDER.
    I've already developed loads for several powders. Rifle doesn't like Unique. Likes 800-X, Blue Dot etc.
    Thanks
    JAMESGR

Boolit Master
    I have no experience with Green Dot, but you might start with published loads with 180 grain bullets.

I think Green Dot is like Bullseye or Unique--
    It's too fast for .357s unless it's some specialty thing like for a 2" revolver..
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Green Dot is faster than Unique but slower than Bullseye. Since your rifle is showing a preference for slower powders I'd suggest 296/110. Also, I've had good results with LilGun in a Rossi carbine.
    Last edited by Rattlesnake Charlie; 02-25-2021 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Add "slower powders"

Boolit Master
    2400 is very flexible medium up to full power loads

With a 180 in a rifle you should be using A2400, H110, W296, Lil'Gun, 300-MP, etc.

A2400 was my favorite but I think Lil'Gun will surpass it. A2400 became difficult to find 8 or so years ago.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the replies. H110 and 2400 work well in my rifle and I have good loads for them.
    I'm trying to expand the use of the powders I have.
    Thanks
    JAMESGR

Quote Originally Posted by JAMESGR View Post
    Thanks for the replies. H110 and 2400 work well in my rifle and I have good loads for them.
    I'm trying to expand the use of the powders I have.
    Thanks
    JAMESGR
    I am reading this thread as you have the Green Dot and are hoping it can be used in the .357 mag you need to load for. How well other powders perform doesn't help. I bought a pound or two of Green Dot for shot shell but haven't used it, have Red Dot and Blue Dot so haven't gotten around to it.

I'll watch this thread just to see if there is an answer that offers an additional use in .357 mag. If history has taught anything it is that one can't always get the "best" powder for a purpose and knowing that there are alternatives and what they are can prove useful.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

From 2004 Alliant load data (which is available online) max loads listed for 170-200 are 5-6.1 grains using Green Dot. Look it up. Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    and Blue Dot
    If ya have Blue Dot, I think you'll like it,, it's a favorite for .357 for cast and jacketed.
    I've used others, but seem to keep coming back to Blue Dot for midrange & full house loads in my .357s for rifles and revolvers both.

I haven't seen Green Dot listed in any of my load books.
    But, if you search 'Green Dot powder in .357', there is a lot of old archive posts on various forums about folks using it.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 02-27-2021 at 12:19 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Winger Ed, your right Blue Dot works real good in my Henry and 686. So does 2400, H110/296, 800-X.
    I've checked the archives and most of those stop at 158 gr. cast bullet with Green Dot. Actually most stop at 158 grs. with the other powder too.
    Just trying to stretch what I have.
    Thanks
    JAMESGR

Boolit Mold
    Lyman has data for Bullseye up to their 170 gr bullet, but no Green Dot data for any of their tested bullets. Going out on a limb: QuickLoad predicts about the right pressure for Lyman's Bullseye load and suggests Green Dot should max out about a half grain below that charge. Sorry, that's as close as I can come. For full power loads, we like N110 in our 77/357.

I have used green dot in a lot of rifle and pistol loads with good success but in a 357 mag rifle load it would be a plinking or target load as it is to fast of burn rate for a good hunting load for something large like deer or hogs.

But you didn’t say you wanted a good deer load. From memory I think I used 5 grs. Of it in a 357 revolver I had years ago and that was with a 170 gr. lead boolit also and it was a good plinking load.

Jedman

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    How well other powders perform doesn't help. I bought a pound or two of Green Dot for shot shell but haven't used it.
    Your comment doesn't help either if you haven't tried Green Dot. Green Dot is not a good choice no matter how much the OP wants to use it.

Boolit Master
    Start out with 5.0 grains of Green Dot. It is not going to be a top velocity load, but it should shoot fine. If it shows promise acceptable results with your gun, then I would go up to 5.2 and see which one shoots better. Keep going until the lighter load wins or you reach 6.0.

Mind you, Green Dot is not going to be a top performer velocity wise, but it might be a pleasant surprise accuracy-wise, at least it was for me and some others.
    Last edited by bowfin; 03-01-2021 at 06:29 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Bowfin, last week I had very good results with 6.0 grs of PB. 5.4 grs. of PB not so good just ok.
    When the rain leaves I'll try:
    6.0 grs. PB and 6.6 grs. of PB;
    also 6.0 grs. of Green Dot and 6.6 grs. of Green Dot. felix stated these track each other
    Next I'm trying these 3. felix stated they track each other.
    7.0 grs. of Herco
    7.0 grs. WSF
    and 7.0 grs. of SR4756.
    The first two preform very well in my 686-7 w/ 6" barrel.
    Thanks
    JAMESGR

Boolit Buddy
    I have an Alliant loading manual that lists the following Green Dot loads for a 357 revolver:

158gr LSWC 6.0gr 1240fps 34K psi
    170gr FMJ 6.1gr 1090fps 33.7K psi
    180gr JFP 6.0gr 1010fps 34K psi
    200gr LRN 5.0gr 1015fps 34K psi

I probably don’t need to tell you that pressure builds quickly with fast burning powders and straight wall cases don’t exhibit the same pressure signs as bottleneck cases.

Hope that helps
    Last edited by JFE; 03-02-2021 at 03:26 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    The new Handloader mag has a full article on the .357 used in rifles. As usual, very informative.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, nhithaca
    I'll look for that when I next get to BAM they should have it

Thanks
    JAMES
    JAMESGR