Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital Scale Placement

Boolit Bub

Digital Scale Placement

I'm curious to see what solutions those using digital scales have to minimize effects from vibration / movement of your bench when working the press. Granted I'm not under the impression anyone would be using the scale and the press at the same time, but I noticed the lyman gen6 manual recommends not using it on the same bench as the press. I'm sort of low on space, so I was thinking of putting it on a floating shelf or something, curious to see what others have (or haven't) done.

Boolit Master
    Mine is kept on separate table close to the press bench, also no air circulating that area, and no florescent lights either.

Boolit Bub
    Interesting on the florescent lights part. I have some about 14 feet up, but I never thought about them possibly interfering. I have LEDs on the bench.

Boolit Master

mine sits on a stool when it's not in its foam case. Nothing touches it other than my fat thumbs and the powder being poured into the pan.

stool is a hard surfaced one without any padding
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    I'm done with sizing and priming when I pull out my scale to start weighing charges so same bench. My bench is very solid so I'm not sure if vibration would affect it.

Boolit Buddy
    I keep my on a leveled shelf next to my RCBS 10-10 I check them both with each other small florescent above I try not to touch or move them I also keep weighs to check them with.

Moderator Emeritus

Keep in mind music/tv if you listen while using a scale. To much bass and such could impact results.

Boolit Grand Master

My beam scales are on a shelf above my reloading bench. This shelf is attached to the wall, not the bench. They are at eye level for me as I sit at the bench, as well.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the input, I think I'm going to build a little table / shelf dedicated to the scale.

Boolit Grand Master

My gem Pro came with an anti vibration pad to set under it from the factory.

Boolit Master

Made these for my Lyman M5 and one for a Pact BBK. Expoxied some nuts into holes so I can use the 4 bolts for leveling screws. The bottoms of both units are filled with lead ingots to help prevent any moving around. The one for the BBK also has a ground lead on it for whatever good that might actually do. Magnifying glass to see things a little easier on the analog scale. Now using a little Frankford Arsenal digital to weigh bullets. For $20 or so I'm happy with it's performance.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scale Box.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	108.5 KB 
ID:	278403
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scale Box BBK.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	128.4 KB 
ID:	278404
    Last edited by Mike W1; 02-24-2021 at 07:03 PM.
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

Boolit Master
    Mike, the best thing you can do for your beam scale is get it further OFF the bench top because your head is too high to easily read the scale correctly; I believe that one mistake accounts for 90% of those who claim their beams are "too slow". A shelf or simple wood box that lifts the scale about 10-14 inches is usually high enough.

Now using a little Frankford Arsenal digital to weigh bullets. For $20 or so I'm happy with it's performance.
    Good. Bullets and cases are great on digital scales, even if it's wrong that won't kill you. But beams are for powder.
    Last edited by 1hole; 02-24-2021 at 11:48 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    My beam scales are on a shelf above my reloading bench. This shelf is attached to the wall, not the bench. They are at eye level for me as I sit at the bench, as well.
    That's a great practice.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tbpollard View Post
    Interesting on the florescent lights part. I have some about 14 feet up, but I never thought about them possibly interfering. I have LEDs on the bench.
    It isn't florescent lights per se that cause digital scale problems, it's the magnetic field produced by the lamp's ballast that causes problems. Your light fixtures are far enough away that there should be no problem.

LEDS cause no magnetic problems.

I have my digital scale sitting on a rubber mat to prevent vibration on my bench. My beam scale is on a shelf mounted to the wall. I cross check between the two scales so far they continually read the same.
    "Hollow Points"-"From Those Who Care Enough To Send The Very Best"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    Mike, the best thing you can do for your beam scale is get it further OFF the bench top because your head is too high to easily read the scale correctly; I believe that one mistake accounts for 90% of those who claim their beams are "too slow". A shelf or simple wood box that lifts the scale about 10-14 inches is usually high enough.
    Good. Bullets and cases are great on digital scales, even if it's wrong that won't kill you. But beams are for powder.
    The pictures are misleading as the beam scale does indeed sit on a shelf putting the magnifying glass right at eyeball high. The height of that kluge also allows my powder trickler kernels to go right into the pan if so desired. Point I didn't make clear was both rigs are heavily weighted and fully adjustable for level both ways F-B and L-R. Just put em' in an empty space to take the pictures.

I use something along those lines to get things up when checking hardness with my LBT hardness tester.
    Last edited by Mike W1; 02-24-2021 at 07:02 PM.
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

Boolit Bub
    When cheaper digital scales first started to come around, I noticed that cellphone rings would interfere with them quite a bit. It seems like the newer ones dont't have that problem. I wonder if it was the scales that changed, or the frequency with the cellphones. Either way, that's something I've always tried to keep away when I'm measuring powder.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    It isn't florescent lights per se that cause digital scale problems, it's the magnetic field produced by the lamp's ballast that causes problems. Your light fixtures are far enough away that there should be no problem.

LEDS cause no magnetic problems.
    LEDS can cause EMI (Electromagnetic Interference). They usually have to be very close. I have seen them interfere with garage door openers. Opener wouldn't work from car transmitter(any wireless transmitter) when the lights where on. As soon as lights went out door opened or closed just fine.

I am using an RCBS Chargemaster and have it on a separate bench from the press. Before I had the second bench it went on a wooden stool. When my grandson is helping one of us is throwing charges while the other is seating boolits and crimping. When on the same bench the vibration from the press interfered with the Chargemaster.

Boolit Master
    Digital scales are best kept in a box under the bench behind the powder and primers, never to see the light of day

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by str8wal View Post
    Digital scales are best kept in a box under the bench behind the powder and primers, never to see the light of day
    My Chargemaster dispenses powder as accurately as my 5-0-5 can measure. Cheap digital scales don’t respond well to small changes.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast