Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationPBcastcoWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: 310 Tool Case

Boolit Man

310 Tool Case

I recently purchased a couple bushcraft items on Amazon and the Hide and Drink vendor was suggested. Looking through their items, inspiration struck. Besides a hatchet sheath that saved me some leatherwork time, I picked up a waxed canvas vape pen kit.

The kit will hold a large handle tool and four dies easily in the storage loops. A fifth shouldn't be a stretch and there's space for a tin of parts or a few bullets and tray of primers.

I am fairly impressed with the craftsmanship for the fact that you can order with a coupon and bundle to get the price under $20.

If you're looking for a way to store your 310 tool and one caliber set of dies for field transport and use, this isn't a possible solution I'd overlook.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210222_072836.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	278246Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210222_072941.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	278247Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210222_072954.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	278248

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ButchC; 02-22-2021 at 09:05 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    ButchC that's the first really inspiring suggestion I've seen for packing a 310 in a very long time. If there's room for a cigarette tin or Altoid's Mints tin of bullets and a tray of primers, about the only "spare parts" I would think might be needed would be a couple of decapping pins. The only other tools would be a dipper or two and a little screw driver (or Allen wrench) for the lock screws, and you should be good to go. Of course the can of powder probably wouldn't fit in the package, but could easily be carried alongside. All in all, it looks really good. Nice find!

Froggie

PS I don't suppose it's big enough to hold one of the old flat powder cans like Dupont and Hercules used to use, is it?
    "It aint easy being green!"

Here you go Froggie, a smaller flat powder tin. Get some computer kid to print an old time decal for it.
    6 oz. search "Hip Flask" on E-Bay
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flask.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	278316

Boolit Man

Froggie, it wouldn't fit one of the old IMR tins, I can tell you that. An altoids tin will fit in with the tongs, mind you I'm short the priming die at the moment so while I suspect all will fit nicely, it might get snug with five dies. Maybe the neck sizer can live in the tool and still get things zipped shut but the other dies have to be removed to close the pouch.

I have been messing with the idea of getting a brass priming flask from Track or Dixie and filling it with whatever powder the .30-30 settles on, then using the Lee dipper chart and a scale in concert with a file to try and get the load dialed in with a couple spout drops. If more than a few rounds on the go was the goal, with the varying charge spouts on the larger flasks, you'd probably be set to carry half a pound with you. If your guns had a common powder, swapping spouts and dialing in a few to appropriate loads might be a course of action. Naturally you'd need to make sure the flask never got mixed up with muzzleloader equipment, though in good light that shouldn't be an issue but it bears repeating.

Boolit Master

Good idea. Reminds me. I'm a pipe smoker and one day, I was sitting there puffing away and said, Eureka! My tobacco pouch would make a handy ammo carrier for .22 LR and .32 Mag out in the field. Hold about a box of each and no dirt on the bullets. I'll order a couple next time I place an order./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ButchC View Post
    Froggie, it wouldn't fit one of the old IMR tins, I can tell you that. An altoids tin will fit in with the tongs, mind you I'm short the priming die at the moment so while I suspect all will fit nicely, it might get snug with five dies. Maybe the neck sizer can live in the tool and still get things zipped shut but the other dies have to be removed to close the pouch.

I have been messing with the idea of getting a brass priming flask from Track or Dixie and filling it with whatever powder the .30-30 settles on, then using the Lee dipper chart and a scale in concert with a file to try and get the load dialed in with a couple spout drops. If more than a few rounds on the go was the goal, with the varying charge spouts on the larger flasks, you'd probably be set to carry half a pound with you. If your guns had a common powder, swapping spouts and dialing in a few to appropriate loads might be a course of action. Naturally you'd need to make sure the flask never got mixed up with muzzleloader equipment, though in good light that shouldn't be an issue but it bears repeating.
    So you are short the priming chamber for your 30-30 set? Maybe I can help you find one... drop me a PM and we’ll see what we can do.

I hadn’t thought of one of those little priming flasks from the BP world... that could be a good solution, even better for the small charges of a pistol perhaps. You could even get the proper sized drop tube to skip carrying a dipper. When I got my Winchester Model 1894(?) tool for 32-40 it came in one of the old wooden cheese boxes and it had an old flat tobacco box about the same size and style as an Altoids tin to hold the bullets, which would be ideal for your little kit. I’m not sure how I feel about utilizing the little cap tins formerly used for primers as they did “in the old days” but that would also save some space.

So with your 30-30 or my application of a 32 S&W this little case could carry enough components to reload at least 50-100 rounds, certainly enough for most trips to the range or even an extended hunting trip. I’d suggest perhaps 20 loaded rounds for the rifle or 50 for the handgun would finish the kit.

Friend beagle, your plan for using a tobacco sack as the ammo carrier will also fit right in with my design. It would certainly fit my proposed 50 rounds of handgun ammo, and maybe even the proposed 20 rounds of rifle ammo. “I love it when a plan comes together!”

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ButchC View Post

So you are short the priming chamber for your 30-30 set? Maybe I can help you find one... drop me a PM and we’ll see what we can do.

I hadn’t thought of one of those little priming flasks from the BP world... that could be a good solution, even better for the small charges of a pistol perhaps. You could even get the proper sized drop tube to skip carrying a dipper. When I got my Winchester Model 1894 tool for 32-40 it came in one of the old wooden cheese boxes and it had an old flat tobacco box about the same size and style as an Altoids tin to hold the bullets, which would be ideal for your little kit. I’m not sure how I feel about utilizing the little cap tins formerly used for primers as they did “in the old days” but that would also save some space.

So with your 30-30 or my application of a 32 S&W this little case could carry enough components to reload at least 50-100 rounds, certainly enough for most trips to the range or even an extended hunting trip. I’d suggest perhaps 20 loaded rounds for the rifle or 50 for the handgun would finish the kit.

Friend beagle, your plan for using a tobacco sack as the ammo carrier will also fit right in with my design. It would certainly fit my proposed 50 rounds of handgun ammo, and maybe even the proposed 20 rounds of rifle ammo. “I love it when a plan comes together!”

Froggie

Boolit Man

I think a tray of Winchester primers or similar package would fit in the back pocket of the pouch OK, not sure about which other brand but I seem to recall somebody making trays that weren't totally flat which could be an issue.

I do have a PC on the way courtesy of another member but USPS being how they are these days...thank you though!

Boolit Master

Having a kit like this is nice, but how many cases would equal the weight of the tool and dies? If 100 cases would equal the weight of the tools and the primer container, powder container, and bullet container, I would prefer to carry the extra 100 cases, primer, and powder already assembled. My 310 tools are still packed up from my last move and will be moved again by the end of the year, so I am not doing to dig them out to weigh them. Also the cartridge component weights will vary depending on the cartridge in question, still there will be a break even point where more cases will weigh more than the tools. Even with the smallest cartridge you get 310 dies for, it is a good bet that 1000 cases will weigh more than the tools and weight would be saved by carrying tools rather than 1000 loaded cartridges.

The vape pen bag in the OP would be handy just to keep the tools together and separated. Every 310 owner should have a similar container for each set of handles with dies, and another for each set of extra dies with each labeled as to contents.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Grand Master
    Organization, organization, organization! I have so many odds and ends scattered around that I constantly make exciting rediscoveries as items come to light, which usually must serve as consolation when I can’t find whatever it was that I was looking for in the first place. Anyway I can store things in a way that is organized and safely placed where it can be found, well that is a good thing!

Froggie

Boolit Master

Lyman use to market a specially designed tool pouch for the 310 tool. Haven't seen one for a while but a call to a knowledgeable customer service rep might turn one up in their stock of old stuff. As I recall they weren't too pricey and looked pretty good./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Banned
    It's a handy, nifty kit.

Name:	P1020034.jpeg 
Views:	11 
Size:	125.1 KB 
ID:	278440

Name:	P1020037.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	278441

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Organization, organization, organization! I have so many odds and ends scattered around that I constantly make exciting rediscoveries as items come to light, which usually must serve as consolation when I can’t find whatever it was that I was looking for in the first place. Anyway I can store things in a way that is organized and safely placed where it can be found, well that is a good thing!

Froggie
    I tend to use the dies in presses more often than handles, and always in the shop and never in the field. I also tend to have more than just the standard set of dies for each cartridge. Therefore, I keep one of those plastic divider boxes, like you find in tackle boxes nowadays, for each cartridge to hold all the bits and pierces that aren't currently mounted in a press somewhere.

Name:	310-boxes.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	278750

-ktw