RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: .45 Colt and Unique?

Boolit Man

.45 Colt and Unique?

Hi all,
    I have a Heritage Big Bore .45 Colt revolver, and am shooting Lyman 454190 (250 grn) boolit, I usually use Trail Boss powder but ran out, I do have quite a bit of Unique, so I rolled 100 rnds using 8 grns of Unique. My Lyman Cast Boolit Handbook gives a starting load of 6 grns of Unique at 595 fps, and a Max load of 9 grns of Unique at 875 fps. But in my Hornady manual it says 7 grns of Unique behind their 255 grn lead boolit at 850 fps is the Max load. So I guess. my question is, is 8 grns of Unique behind a 250 grn cast lead boolit safe for the Colt clones? Also my lead is the #2 alloy, and my boolits are sized to .453.
    Thanks Much,
    Paul
    People would rather beleave a lie than the truth
    David Crockett

Boolit Master
    The Lyman book says 9gr is the max behind the 454190, and 8.2gr behind the 452664, both 250gr slugs. I load the 454424 up to 7.5gr without it even being really snappy in my vaquero.

I'd say you're probably safe to shoot them, but you should really load a ladder to see where your particular revolver likes it. Just because you can shoot it safely doesn't mean you'll get the best performance with that load.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I shoot mine in a Ruger and my original notes said 6.5-8.5 for SAA 255 gr . My old lot of Unique gave me 850 fps out of the 7.5" barrel at 8.5 with a 454424 , 452-252 @262 gr and 825 with the 452-255 @265 gr . Some books give 9.5 as a max load with more recent powder but that's pretty warm running a 454424 NOE version @250 gr something around 1080 and the 265 gr 452-255 1050 .

My unqualified opinion is that under 8.5 in any vintage of Unique with a bullet of 255 gr or less seated out to 1.6+ you're good to go .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

I've pretty much settled on 8.0 gr. of Unique with a 250 or 255 gr. cast lead bullet as my standard load for my Uberti 1873 clones.
    DG

Boolit Buddy
    These loads are what I have made for two Beretta 45 colts both made by Uberti
    7 1/2 barrel
    7.3 grains Unique 250 grain bullet 734 FPS
    7.5 grains Unique 250 grain bullet 828 FPS

4 3/4 barrel
    7.3 grains Unique 250 grain bullet 639 FPS

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    Not sure which old Lyman reloading book I have but I bought it back in early 1970's. The starting load in that book was 8.0 gr of unique. This was for 250 & 255 gr bullets.
    The newer manuals have considerably reduced loads. I have settled with 7.2 gr of unique. When older age and arthritis in my wrist showed up I opted for a lighter load.

Boolit Buddy

Cool

My 1990 Hercules Reloader’s Guide lists a maximum load under a 250-grain lead bullet as 8.0 grains of Unique. This produced 850 fps at 11,800 psi and should be safe in almost any .45 LC revolver.

Boolit Grand Master

The 8.0 gr. of Unique with a 255 gr. cast lead bullet from the Lyman #45 was our standard load for Uberti 1873 clones for a re-enactment group I loaded for as a kid. They fired well over 50,000 with issues.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

8 grains of Unique and a 250/255 grain cast bullet is a marriage made in heaven. It would be a strange pistol that doesn’t like it.

Boolit Bub
    8 grains with that weight bullet should be just about perfect! I’m in the same boat of almost out of Trailboss

Boolit Grand Master
    Another reason for the lighter load from Hornady is that their bullets are swaged, not cast, and thus softer. You'll find the .38 Special WC recommended loads are similarly light compared to Lyman's for cast.

Robert

Boolit Master

I've tried a lot of loads too, in my Italian clone revolvers, and 8.0gr of Unique behind the 454190 bullet is right where I landed as well. It seems like the perfect load for the gun, if you want a full power load.

Boolit Man
    Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it. Who knows maybe I’ll like this load as much as the Trailboss load
    Paul
    People would rather beleave a lie than the truth
    David Crockett