Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paperless society

Boolit Grand Master

Paperless society

Many stores here have a minimum for using a card to buy stuff.
    Charge or debit. Gift card is OK.
    I've seen some people get all upset when they can't use their card to buy something small.
    Market just got rid of books and magazines.
    We now have only one book store on the whole island.
    Schools no longer use books or have test on paper. All computer.
    By moving towards a paperless society, I've noticed another disturbing side effect.
    Kids in school cannot write.
    Friends kids and grand kids all have handwriting of a child.
    A few are now in collage.
    Even their signature looks like a child's scribbling.
    I'm guessing it won't be long before books and magazines will disapear.
    Maybe even paper money will be gone.
    Most cashier's these days don't know how to give change anymore.
    Computer tells them how much to count out.
    Everyone seems to have their whole life in a dumb phone.
    My friends phone died and he lost everything.
    Pictures, contacts, insurance card, appointments, birthdays, almost everything.
    Gone, gone, gone.
    They now have something called a cloud.
    I wonder how long before someone hacks in and opens Pandora's box.
    Anyone not know who Pandora is????

Boolit Master
    I'm not against reducing our impact on the environment and do believe we are doing the correct thing. With that being said there are some cons as you have noticed. I believe there are ways around this but something must give to get there. With that being said I had an great Aunt to was a retired teacher while I was growing up so math and writing skills were engraved in my family. I could add the reduction in teaching and thus speaking different languages. Don't kid yourself by the I'm American we speak English moto. I've seen and had to hire less qualified individuals to those who speak the language and know it was the right decision. The reason being to sell our product in those cities/countries where our product is needed. Going paperless is just a part of the next century and as like anything else technology advancement.

If anything else it shows my age. As my great Aunt taught me I will teach my grandchildren.

Boolit Master

Yep, the right (or wrong) computer virus, and kiss society 'goodbye'. No one knows anything about self-suffiency, let alone surviving a minor disaster. Our recent winter storm showed that.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Master
    We can save the environment of wasting paper,, when lawyers are stopped from having copies of everything. Lawyers go through more paper than any school, or business out there.

Me?
    I'm old school, and I teach & promote old school skills.

Boolit Master
    I went thru school with slates ,copy books and all that perfect writing stuff......didnt stick ,my writing is atrocious.......last job I had ,one of the partners (same age as me) had the most perfect handwriting you have ever seen.....just like the old 1950s copy books...and he wrote at normal speed ......I had to fill in all the maintenance logs etc ,and six months later ,even I couldnt read them.......Most of the under 25s couldnt read or write any more than message code.....And couldnt read the time from a round clock .

Boolit Master
    The last job I had before I retired was a tool/supply crib attendant we went thru 10 to 20 cases of paper a week and that was just the 8x11 stuff. We had legal paper and one printer that made banners just about any size you can think of.

On writting skill:
    Its a tool. It doesnt have to be pretty. It just has to work. If the writer and the reader both know and agree what is on the paper, the task is accomplished.
    There are varrying degrees of precision required. The more technical a subject is, the higher the requirement to adhere to a set of standards for grammar, spelling and form.

What i dont understand is how the pharmacist gets me the correct medication.

On cashiers doing math:
    People are, for the lack of a better word, lazy. Lazy is not an accurate word for what i am trying to describe. People develop the skills to do the job with the least effort. Could you imagine being a cashier before a register gave you amounts and having to get a pen and paper to calculate each amount? No, you learn 10s compliment or other methods of fast and easy calculations or you quit that job. It would otherwise be maddening on any kind of scale a cashier sees.

Finally, people learn and keep the skills they need.
    In school if you needed perfect writting to pass a test regardless if the answers were correct, you learned perfect writting. In the real world, if your boss gets a document that is chicken scratch, but the information is good and he can read it just fine... may or may not be an issue.
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

Boolit Master
    My wife had joined the 21 century and started using a debt card. We were at Wally world the same time another church member was there and they got their debt card hacked. Ours was fine, but learned valuable lesson. When you use credit card the credit card company will refund your money if you get hacked. If your debt card gets hacked they can drain your bank account and the bank will freeze your account till they get around to researching it.

Moderator Emeritus

Looks like paper was needed in Houston, Texas ...but few people had the paper.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/lo...4-2a0b3715e576

A clip from the article:

... The line of customers was long, but he said the cashiers worked tirelessly to ring up as many people as they could.

Then the power went out.

The store wasn't about to close, though, and instead said they would remain open, but would only be able to accept cash and asked customers to limit their purchases to essential items only.

Spencer said many of the people in line didn't have cash on them and were prepared to leave.

That's when he said, "something cool happened."
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Anyone not know who Pandora is????

Several things working together: .GOV/Facebook/Google/Twitter/china/PC/raceism......................
    Democrats [communists] need a dumb population to enslave, thus the failures of the education system in this country.

Boolit Master

I bought some bolts for my new press today. The bill was 1.03. I gave the casher 20.03. He looked confused. I told him i get 19.00 back. Pretty bad when young'uns cant make simple change.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    I bought some bolts for my new press today. The bill was 1.03. I gave the casher 20.03. He looked confused. I told him i get 19.00 back. Pretty bad when young'uns cant make simple change.
    I did the same a couple of months ago. The cashier called the store manager over and complained I was trying to scam the store.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    I'm not sure how this site is on linking other sites, but if you search best buy $2.00 bills you can find a story of a customer getting arrested for trying to pass counterfeit money ie $2.00 bills. They even called the secret service in.

I also frequently have excess amounts of half dollars (that's another hobby). It's always fun handing a cashier one of them. Usually they just look at them like they were handed an alien life form. The best is when they have to read it and it says a half dollar and they ask "well how much is that"?

Banned
    If there's one good thing that came out of this COVID-19 mess, it was the wake-up call parents received about the poor quality of education.

I've listened to more than a few parents that were appalled when they realized how LITTLE their children were learning in public school. The positive result was the good parents took the opportunity to improve their child's level of learning. Many have vowed to send their kids to private schools (most of which didn't shut down), some have opted to home school their kids and many have taken a more active role in their child's education.

Enrollment in public schools is significantly down and a lot of folks are questioning what the schools have been doing with all of that tax money.

I am shocked at the lack of reading comprehension and writing skills (and I'm not talking about handwriting skills). I'm not convinced that is the result of moving away from paper. I believe that is simply the result of terrible education.

As for a paperless society, I'm not convinced that is as prevalent as it appears at first glance. We are relying on electronics much more, but the core of reading and math skills don't require paper.
    And despite credit cards being widely accepted, cash is still king.

Boolit Master

How much am I bid for:
    1000111010110010101010101000101010101001100010?

Hard assets only please.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    I probably could if I absolutely had to but I ain’t converting that to decimal in my head! Oh heck, it’s 39,224,504,134,242 decimal, now my head hurts.

Looks something like the national debt
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tai95 View Post
    I'm not sure how this site is on linking other sites, but if you search best buy $2.00 bills you can find a story of a customer getting arrested for trying to pass counterfeit money ie $2.00 bills. They even called the secret service in.

I also frequently have excess amounts of half dollars (that's another hobby). It's always fun handing a cashier one of them. Usually they just look at them like they were handed an alien life form. The best is when they have to read it and it says a half dollar and they ask "well how much is that"?
    Remember the Susan B Anthony dollar????
    It would always get mistaken for a quarter.

Boolit Grand Master
    I read a book "One Second After"
    If that ever happened, we'd all be in deep dodo.
    I'm sure something like that is bound to happen someday.
    Some might remember back in 1989(?) a solar flair burnt out lots of computer chips, and shut down some power plants.
    Wasn't that bad back the as we were not that reliant on computers.
    Today it would be a mess.

Boolit Grand Master
    My hand writing as always been bad.
    No matter what I tried, I just couldn't get the hang of it.
    These days of old age, and working with my hands for all my life, I can't even read my hand writing.
    Even my printing is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    Me?
    I'm old school, and I teach & promote old school skills.
    Me too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast