RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crazy evilbay buyers

You have to think about the Market that exists for the product, don't be looking to buy tulips in the 1630's. Our tiny niche market got slammed on the demand side and shut down on the supply side, all that pent up demand and fixed supply can only lead to high prices. I am not sure why this is a surprise.

Now consider the market for tools on ebay. Real Americans out of work, new generations coming up that don't know what a tap and die set is, a market flooded with cheap Chinese pretend tools, and a large population of retiring skilled tradesmen. This leads to what I think of as an opportunity to buy very high quality tooling for next to nothing.

Buy low, never sell.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    I go through evilbay from time to time.
    Never know what good deals you might find.
    For some reason, people are buying Lee reloading presses for way over retail prices.
    Sometimes almost double.
    Has to be new shooters, thinking of reloading.
    Good for the seller, but I kind of feel bad for the buyer.
    Other brands, RCBS, Lyman, Herters, others selling for high, but reasonable prices.
    Reasonable because everything reloading is sky high these days.
    I just wonder if this craziness will ever end.
    Everything is going for sky high prices because most retailers have no stock. no dies.. no molds.. etc. I see lee molds go for 125$.. then again.. many get relisted.. so probably over active shill bidding going on now and then and the seller outbids the real buyers accidentally I believe..

Boolit Master
    Most people will pay what the item is worth to them. A few get auction crazy and will pay even more than it's worth to them.
    I have on one or two occasions paid a bit more for something than I probably should because I wanted it and it was not available anywhere else. I have on several occasions bought things very cheap. Shortly before the covid farce, I bought a Bonanza co-ax for $20 and then a Herters super O for $65 as well as several thousand primers for 2 cents @ or less.

Since the covid farce, the price some will pay for anything gun related has gone so high I will not buy. No one is holding a gun to the head of the buyer and now lots of people will pay a lot more than stuff is worth to me.

I looked into selling some excess at auction online and decided the auction houses want more for selling things than many normal stores get and they don't have to put up the money for inventory.

I will continue to buy from auctions and buy things I need or want if the price is what I'm willing to pay.

Boolit Master

Yeah, the buyers are crazy, the sellers evil. I don't agree with that. Ebay serves a valuable service to some--many people don't necessarily have access to a lot of specialized goods, or businesses that sell things like reloader equipment. Ebay seems to me Iike the old mail order Sears. I know there are plenty of bad people out there looking to take advantage of others, but I have had 1,000 of transactions on Ebay, and only 2 were bad. One sold a handicapped space at a concert my youngest daughter wanted to go to back in the '90s. Didn't mention it was handicapped space. I can't do anything about bad people, just learn to be careful. My biggest reaction to Ebay is amusement, like, "Wait, they paid what for that?". Just like watching the crazies on Gunbroker paying 30-40 dollars a hundred for primers.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    Over 36,000 items listed under reloading equipment right now. I've gotten several steals lately and paypal will reimburse $ if there is any problem.
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

I have been buying on eBay for years now. Have gotten burned twice, both years ago now, which wised me up so that it hasn't happened since. For some things where else would you go to find it?

Ever since The Panic started some folks have asked crazy prices (2 cav Lyman round ball mold for $200!) and some folks have paid crazy prices as well. So long as there is no fraud involved it is what it is.

You really have to know what a thing is worth and most importantly what your limit is. Several times in the last month or so I've watched folks pay more for a used mold than I know for a fact they could have bought from Accurate or NOE for the same number of cavities in the same material. BUT, they get their mold in only a few days while just now the custom mold makers are running about 6+ weeks out.

And occasionally a good mold goes for very reasonable prices.
    Chance favors the prepared mind.

Boolit Master
    Auctions, especially eBay, can be either your friend or enemy depending on how you play them. I find a lot of repair parts on auctions when the distributors do not have them. I can buy new or used, see different prices, make my own decisions. As for selling right now is the best of times to thin out my "Keepers" as the doctors are suggesting I should. That will leave the maximum benefit for the family.

I like eBay and it’s no different than any other auction as far as prices go. Many things go way over priced, but occasionally you can find diamonds in the rough. Something to take into account, like said above, is the time, travel and energy you save by just scrolling through items . Also, during our recent shutdowns, flea markets, swap meets and gun shows have been far and few between.

Boolit Master
    well lee precision might get the message that what they make is popular and people will pay more so they might as well charge more and maximize profits so they can go out and gobble up other companies like all of their competitors are involved in.
    just a little observation with a bit of crystal ball speculation

If you dont like it, dont look and complain.
    Ive bought alotta stuff on ebay over the years. Ebay is nothing. Have you looked at gunbroker? That site is flat stupid. Yesterday my brother showed me a keg of powder for $1880 as the current bid.

Banned

I have had three people ask me to help them find reloading equipment and learn to reload. I told each of them, they picked the absolutely wrong time in history to start reloading. They actually asked why, and I told them they will possibly be spending at least a few thousand bucks in the end. I did find a Lee APP press for $169 about a month ago, but my brother passed on it. I forget where I saw it.

Occasionally, I'll find something I am in need of, but can't purchase locally. I've seen the insanity during shortages played out several times on Ebay. Set yourself a limit, bid, don't go back until it's over. Either you got it for what you were willing to pay, or your didn't. Pretty simple concept huh?

I used to sell on Ebay, right up until they forced PayPal down our throats. I haven't sold a thing on there since.

Currently, it's a tough go for those wanting to begin casting or reloading. If I had a close relative or friend who wanted to learn, I'd much rather mentor them on my equipment for a while until the prices drop.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Bub
    I watched some Lyman Tru Line Jr presses sell for extreme prices. I wonder if those buyers have any idea that standard 7/8-14 dies won't work in them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    Yeah, the buyers are crazy, the sellers evil. I don't agree with that. Ebay serves a valuable service to some--many people don't necessarily have access to a lot of specialized goods, or businesses that sell things like reloader equipment. Ebay seems to me Iike the old mail order Sears. I know there are plenty of bad people out there looking to take advantage of others, but I have had 1,000 of transactions on Ebay, and only 2 were bad. One sold a handicapped space at a concert my youngest daughter wanted to go to back in the '90s. Didn't mention it was handicapped space. I can't do anything about bad people, just learn to be careful. My biggest reaction to Ebay is amusement, like, "Wait, they paid what for that?". Just like watching the crazies on Gunbroker paying 30-40 dollars a hundred for primers.
    I don’t blame “evil sellers” on EBay when buyers set the prices. All sellers do is offer merchandise. I haven’t needed anything for reloading for some time but have tried to buy a nice old Stanley or Record wood plane. The pricing has gone the same way as reloading equipment because buyers will pay the high prices.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Last item I bought on E-Bay was nearly a year ago. I decided I wanted a Foster case trimmer and found a used one already set up for .308 and .30-06. Paid $50 for it and it works like a charm.

I've heard horror stories of $25 Lee molds going for big bucks now, and I wish I had some extra items to sell. But, I only buy what I need and usually research things pretty heavily before buying something, so all the molds I have now are ones that I have a need for.

My dad told me last week that he made a killing selling 10,000 small pistol primers at a gun show via a friend. He said he heard primers were going for crazy prices, so he told his buddy to sell them at $50 per 1000. His buddy was an idiot and actually sold them for $50 per 1000 rather than the market price around here of $120 per 1000. They were gone in 20 minutes.

My dad lost a few hundred dollars because he didn't know the market. I told him his "buddy" should have known what they were worth and owes him a few hundred bucks.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

I recently checked the prices of batteries for my hearing aids on Ebay.
    Name brand batteries were quite reasonable.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    I recently checked the prices of batteries for my hearing aids on Ebay.
    Name brand batteries were quite reasonable.
    Batteries:
    Funny, strange story. Four years ago, I needed a larger than usual quantity of the Energizer 9 volt batteries. I searched several places besides ebay for the best price on a 24 pak of batteries. Best price (with free shipping) was via ebay and was shipped from Puerto Rico
    ...and this was right after Hurricane Maria

I ordered them and they arrived on time...that's just crazy
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Last item I bought on E-Bay was nearly a year ago. I decided I wanted a Foster case trimmer and found a used one already set up for .308 and .30-06. Paid $50 for it and it works like a charm.

I've heard horror stories of $25 Lee molds going for big bucks now, and I wish I had some extra items to sell. But, I only buy what I need and usually research things pretty heavily before buying something, so all the molds I have now are ones that I have a need for.

My dad told me last week that he made a killing selling 10,000 small pistol primers at a gun show via a friend. He said he heard primers were going for crazy prices, so he told his buddy to sell them at $50 per 1000. His buddy was an idiot and actually sold them for $50 per 1000 rather than the market price around here of $120 per 1000. They were gone in 20 minutes.

My dad lost a few hundred dollars because he didn't know the market. I told him his "buddy" should have known what they were worth and owes him a few hundred bucks.
    A fool and his money.....
    NRA Benefactor.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12