RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Missing Pressure Piston / O Ring Component On My Old Lyman 450 Sizer/Lubricator

Boolit Mold
    Eight Miles Southwest Of Trinidad, Colorado

Missing Pressure Piston / O Ring Component On My Old Lyman 450 Sizer/Lubricator

Just joined forum. I'm trying to get back into reloading and shooting after being away from it for like a lifetime. When I was young (a long time ago - 1970s) I was an expert caster/reloader. Had my stuff set up in my dad's basement. He eventually took everything apart and boxed it up. Thirty or forty years later I'm retired now and want to get back into this. Somehow the 'pressure piston' / 'O' Ring mechanism seems to be missing. I did find the original single sheet directions / parts list from Lyman - not much but it allowed me to figure out how to put the thing together and realize I was missing a critical part. I'm looking for recommendations on how to proceed.

I checked out Lyman's website and they have a contact number there so I'll try to call tomorrow and see if they sell parts for this apparently old machine. I see their 4500 is their latest model. I'm wondering if the same pressure piston can be used for the apparently older 450? Any thoughts on that? Alternately, I see on eBay there are several 450s available for $100 plus or minus. Should I get one of these just for parts? I guess I could buy a 4500 but from the reviews I see on Amazon the workmanship of Lyman's newer products isn't what it used to be. Maybe that's just internet slander, I don't know. All I can say is I loved my old 450. The main things I used it for were for my Buffalo Bill Commerative 30-30 with a 26" Octagon Barrel and my .45 Colt Rugar Blackhawk. For my 30-30 I had a 190 grain cast which gave me a full power load around 1800 fps which I used for long range shooting. Had tremendous fun with that. I'd appreciate any recommendations. I'd really like to get this thing working again.

Boolit Master
    Welcome to the gang. Lots of info here.

Yes, the pistons are all interchangeable. A popular modification for the original 45 is to “upgrade” to the o-ring type from the later models.

Boolit Master
    I overhauled 3 of my 450s last year. Lyman had everything. Lyman o rings are metric. You can't buy them in a parts store. I have found that some green air condition 0 rings will work in a tight but you have to measure the old one exactly. The one on the bottom will leak if not bolted down. Take it apart screws and all. Get it hot enough to melt the old grease out. Old grease sits up hard. I used a large solder iron but you can boil it also. You can see the grease float to the top. Ebay has the o rings in a pack and some other parts. Order the top piston with o rings installed. There are videos on U tube. The 1/4 ratchet is handy also.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 02-23-2021 at 02:37 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks a lot for the replies metricmonkeywrench and 45DUDE. I was kind of thinking that pressure piston thingie might be standard as otherwise Lyman would have had to come up with differently configured grease cylinders of the bees wax or alox material. Also, thanks for mentioning cleaning it out 45DUDE. I'm thinking in 40 years of non-use its gotta be gunked up pretty good inside, including my sizing dies. I had mentioned it to my local gunsmith and he said putting it in a toaster oven at maybe 150 degrees might cause the old wax to run out. I don't have a toaster over (microwave sure would cause the sparks to fly!) but had thought of maybe 150 degree water. Tomorrow I'm anxious to see if Lyman can help.

Boolit Grand Master
    Welcome aboard.

It has been a few years since I ordered 450 parts from Lyman but I had better luck just ordering online than on the phone.

Also I would order a couple of extra O-rings, just in case.

As for removing old lube, I prefer to use a gentle flame from a propane torch to heat things up to lube flowing temps. Seems less messy than boiling to me and I have done it both ways.

Robert

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    I got a solidv bar of that plastic they use in vehicle suspensions ,the yellow stuff ,cant think of the name of it . Anyway being a machinist of some experience !I machined up a lip seal and replaced the seal in my Lyman 45 lube sizer .I dont get any bypass of lube at all ,and only slight movement of the piston is needed for the lube to flow.

Boolit Master

You can clean out the old lube using an electric heat gun. No open flame, and it takes just a few minutes to get the casting warm enough to get the old lube melting and running out. Works slick.

Boolit Man
    One of the better things I did years ago was to order sets of O Rings in the plastic boxes, 20 or so of each size from tiny up to about 1-1/2 inch. Ordered a Metric box and inch box. Real handy around the farm and the shop, lots of things have O Rings. Order from Amazon. You can order any type or size of O Ring on Ebay also.

Cleaning out the old lube? I have heaters on all my LubriSizers, just turn the heat up for a few hours. Those magnetic backed thermometers are useful on the barrel of the Lubrisizer.

Boolit Master
    I got the motor drive ring for my Thumblers Tumbler here: https://www.theoringstore.com/
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Boolit Grand Master

Two years ago I got worried that something on my Lyman 450 might break / wear out so I went to the web site and bought every part that could be replaced and an up-grade kit for it .
    Lyman still had replacement parts and the up-grade kit then ... if your lucky they will still have parts .
    Since I have purchased all the extra parts... not one thing has needed replacement .
    My unit didn't have an O-ring but a brass ring for the seal ... I cleaned the brass ring and the recess it set in (50 years of crud) put it back in and it leaked no more .
    I believe as long as you have spare parts on hand ... they wont break !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

If cabin tree is still running check with them they have a great interchangeable piece.
    Ken.

Be nice if it was better, but it could be worse

Boolit Mold
    Geez! More good info since I last checked in!

I called Lyman like I said and talked to a helpful individual named Nick. Didn't have to wait long on hold or anything like that. The pressure piston was on back order he said. Expected delivery date was about six weeks or something like that. 'Course that was several weeks ago. So maybe I'll have it soon. Good info on cleaning the old lube out. That'll be my next project I guess!