MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: I bought a AGS annealer.

Boolit Master

I bought a AGS annealer.

I bought a AGS annealer. I love this little machine.

I have been using a attachment that is in a circle with several holes in it. I bought it years ago from Tod Kindler at the Varmint Den. This process is slow and tiring.

I wanted to state my previous experience annealing.

Back to this little annealer. It is easy to use and just works. I get very consistant annealed cases. It has inserts for different size cases. I ordered an extra set for 45-70.

I have been annealing everything 300BO, 223, 30-06, 38-55, and.32-40. It's so much fun because it makes it so easy. I love the look of a consistant anneal. I have been doing it after sizing so it has the annealing color when loading.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210221_000553.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	278134 I put 30-06 in it for size comparison. ( Didnt have a banana -Imgur joke)

Boolit Master
    I shoot a lot of light loads and like to have the case neck soft enough to seal in the chamber.

Boolit Master

I can tell you. Just because your using light loads. Depending on powder you chamber pressures will be just as high when using pistol powders.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    I like to use 10-11.5g of unique in 30-06. These loads will not seal the neck to the chamber without annealing.

Boolit Buddy
    What made you decide on the AGS versus the Annealeez?

Boolit Bub
    i order one 2 weeks ago cant wait to get it and try it out.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by recumbent View Post
    What made you decide on the AGS versus the Annealeez?
    The AGS is 230.00 with large and small bushings.

1.The AGS looks like it works better for rimmed cases like 32-40 and 45-70.

2.AGS comes with 2 sets of bushings. I bought a larger ser for 45-70 for 16.00

I like the way the bushings just sit in. No tools needed to change sizes.

If I was only doing rimless cartridges the Annealeez looks like a better option. A guy I work with has one and loves it.

I was planning on using this for my bulk work and buying a AMP for more important brass. My experience annealing by hand was marginally acceptable. Using a machine I that you can get it just like you want it. I dont have plans to buy the AMP now.

Boolit Master
    Watched a video on this machine by a new owner. It looks like a winner

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Bub
    This makes me want an annealing machine, I haven't been too crazy about the other designs, but I really like this one.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the review! Very satisfying when a new tool works as good or better than intention.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Buddy
    You convinced me. Just put in my order. Been on the fence about an annealing machine for a while. Your observation about rimmed / vs rimless cases tipped the scale to AGS for me. Hadn't even really thought of that, but now that you said it it makes total sense. Thanks for sharing your review

Boolit Master
    I have a Sagebrush annealer . double torches. simple easy you put the case on the turntable , No collets, feeds rimmed , rimless, handgun. Just one speed. case falls of the edge into a box or water whatever you like. Going on 4 years without a hitch
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Mold
    new version AGS Annealer 3.0

"forum10" 10% discount for forum members by the end of April 2023.

"vet10" permanent discount code for vets, police, army&navy members

https://youtu.be/UX5tHpAy2BE

Moderator Emeritus

I have maybe one half-dozen annealers ! Included are the Hornady "socket" holder, several stand-ups, the Giraud (which I use most all the time) -- and also Tod Kindlers's bernzo-matic torch unit. Bion, in some calibres -- e.g., the .221 Remington Fireball, that hoop unit from Mr. Kindler works best of all! Bion I tried, not too long ago, to purchase another for a buddy, and it appears that Mr. Kindler retired... it's no longer available, so I was told. Cherish yours!!!
    I'd never heard of the AGS unit, and it looks great... I may just be checking it out .
    geo

Boolit Master

George, what is this bion you keep repeating?

Bion may refer to:

Science
    Bion (satellite), a series of Soviet satellites from the 1960s and 1970s
    Bion, in physics, the bound state of two solitons
    Bions, hypothetical corpuscles of biological energy proposed by psychoanalyst Wilhelm Reich
    Places
    Bion, Manche, a commune in France
    Saint-Agnin-sur-Bion, a commune of southeastern France
    Revest-du-Bion, a French commune near the Alps
    People with the given name Bion
    Bion of Miletus, a Greek sculptor (6th -5th century BC)
    Bion of Smyrna, also known as Bion of Phlossa, bucolic Greek poet (fl. 2nd century BC)
    Bion of Abdera, a Greek philosopher from the school of Democritus (fl. c. 4th century BC)
    Bion of Soli, an ancient Greek writer of history
    Bion of Borysthenes, a popular Greek philosopher (325–250 BC)
    Bion Barnett, the founder of Barnett Bank, in Florida
    Bion Tsang, American cellist and professor
    Bion J. Arnold, 1861–1942, American electrical engineer
    People with the surname Bion
    Louis-Eugène Bion (1807-1860), French sculptor
    Nicholas Bion (1652–1733), French scientific instrument-maker
    Wilfred Bion, a British psychoanalyst
    Anne-Sophie Bion, French film editor
    Other uses
    Bion (opera), an opera by the French composer Étienne Méhul
    BionX, Canadian maker of electric motors for bicycles
    Bion, a fictional planet in Metroid Prime: Federation Force
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Man they certainly put my pie pan with water on a cake turntable to shame! It works but it sure isn't as fast and easy as that machine!
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    Man they certainly put my pie pan with water on a cake turntable to shame! It works but it sure isn't as fast and easy as that machine!
    Yeah, but if it works, it works. The great thing about hands off machines like this is you are only limited by your magazine. It might take longer, but you can also be doing something else while you wait.

@GARD I think you will like that machine. There's really no downsides to annealing other than the time invested, and plenty of upsides besides case life. I personally anneal as my first step before anything. One of the main benefits for me is both a consistent headspace and neck tension, and you aren't getting those benefits if you anneal after sizing. The color is still there after sizing, it's only if you wash with media that it fades.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    George, what is this bion you keep repeating?

Bion may refer to:

Science
    Bion (satellite), a series of Soviet satellites from the 1960s and 1970s
    Bion, in physics, the bound state of two solitons
    Bions, hypothetical corpuscles of biological energy proposed by psychoanalyst Wilhelm Reich
    Places
    Bion, Manche, a commune in France
    Saint-Agnin-sur-Bion, a commune of southeastern France
    Revest-du-Bion, a French commune near the Alps
    People with the given name Bion
    Bion of Miletus, a Greek sculptor (6th -5th century BC)
    Bion of Smyrna, also known as Bion of Phlossa, bucolic Greek poet (fl. 2nd century BC)
    Bion of Abdera, a Greek philosopher from the school of Democritus (fl. c. 4th century BC)
    Bion of Soli, an ancient Greek writer of history
    Bion of Borysthenes, a popular Greek philosopher (325–250 BC)
    Bion Barnett, the founder of Barnett Bank, in Florida
    Bion Tsang, American cellist and professor
    Bion J. Arnold, 1861–1942, American electrical engineer
    People with the surname Bion
    Louis-Eugène Bion (1807-1860), French sculptor
    Nicholas Bion (1652–1733), French scientific instrument-maker
    Wilfred Bion, a British psychoanalyst
    Anne-Sophie Bion, French film editor
    Other uses
    Bion (opera), an opera by the French composer Étienne Méhul
    BionX, Canadian maker of electric motors for bicycles
    Bion, a fictional planet in Metroid Prime: Federation Force
    Believe It Or Not (bion ) I apologize... blame it on my sons who regularly use LOL (Laugh Out Loud), as another similar "shortcut" when "messaging" -- complementing the ubiquitous "IMHO" (In My Humble Opinion).
    I'm a fellow "of the 60's" (born in 1948) who grew up with round-screen black & white t.v., repleat with "rabbit ears" atennae; the "new" rotary dial telephone, albeit it was a "party line"; and... a wristwatch which needed daily (but not tooo much!) winding... Hey -- my "now" watch? A Garmin Instinct II which sports GPS, eMails and messaging, pulse reading, etc., etc., etc -- and is powered by the sun (Solar)!
    Times have indeed changed -- and, again, my sons (and zillions of others, I am quite certain) have added letter-shortcuts to enable quicker and easier electronic communications. I (wrongly, and apologize, sir!) assumed "bion", "lol". "imho" and a host of others are now soooo commonly used... that often, they may even be employed here.
    "SFT" (Sorry For That )
    geo
    Last edited by georgerkahn; 04-07-2023 at 11:37 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    A few months back I purchased one of the AGS annealers. It is a nice piece of equipment. So far have done 500+ .308 cases with it. Made some additions for it, and have set up the torch head to connect to a BBQ propane tank.

My original foray into annealing was making a tool to hold the cases and spin them in a drill (sort of like the socket/extension rig). This worked OK for .223 cases. Mounted the torch and held/spun the case in the flame with a 3-count. Then placed into a SS pan.

Main downside is that it really went through drill batteries (although rechargeable). And those 14.1 oz tanks are expensive, hence the 20# tank set up.

I also made a tool to hold/spin .308 cases. This did not work out too well. I found it difficult to place the case neck/shoulder into the flame on a consistent basis. After 10 or so cases gave up on that.

So researched building an actual annealer, along with purchasing a commercial unit. In the end, an AGS found its way halfway around the globe to the reloading room. And a decent addition at that.

45_Colt

Ugly Annealer...

After hearing about this auto'magic “Ugly Annealing Machine” (UAM). I placed an order with CKS Precision out of Rocky Ford Colorado. This machine is available from Jeffie Bezoso’s Amazon jungle whatnot-shop, but because of the state level sales taxes it was found to be a better deal for me to purchase direct from the US distributor. As well, there was the satisfaction of denying my state.gov an additional $20 of my hard earned Biden'Bucks!

I placed my order at the CKS online store on a Thursday morning and was informed by Carl (their chief cook, bottle washer and shipping department???) that my machine would go out with that afternoon’s USPS Priority mail. I received the annealer along with Saturday’s afternoon mail! The package was double wrapped in plastic film, nicely boxed and well padded to survive the west to east coast cross country trip. As well, there were 4 successive shipping labels, one affixed under each and every layer of packaging. Looks like CKS must have had some troubles with shipments being lost by them rain or shine, sleet or snow fellers!

As to the assembly and setup… I found it to be simple and intuitive, however, after some 50+ years earning a living assembling and repairing machines, I may have a wee-bit of an advantage in that department over the average Joe and Josephine. For any that may want for some guidance getting up and running there are several step by step tutorial video’s at the CKS and Ugly Annealing website(s).

The actual business of annealing…
    I’ve cycled some goodly hundred’s of cases through the propane flame as of this writing and have to say I’m durnd’sure impressed with the ease, consistency and quality of the annealed cases. Everything from 300 AAC Black-Out to my largest case type, 30-06 cycled without any sort of troubles and I even played with some few 45-70 Government just because (science).

Overall quality of the UAM…
    All of the sheet metal pieces parts are stainless steel. The action wheels are aluminum with the lower “case rotation” wheel having a diamond impregnated steel drive band. The electronical bits-an’bobs seem to be of very adequate quality for the intended job. The drive gears are very hardy and even though made of some brand of polymer, look to be nicely overbuilt for the job. The “wall'wart” type 24 volt DC power supply is well over rated for the amount of current demand and even after hours of non-stop use was still at room temperature! The laser etching and cutting on the sheet metal is first rate and I’ve yet to encounter a edge sharp enough to slice skin. Further, even though the website states that a 24 volt DC, 500 hour rated gear-motor is standard my UAM was shipped and labeled as having “the new extra duty 1500 hour” rated gear-motor.

Conclusion’s…This is a very complete kit including everything needed to anneal cases from 22 Hornet all the way up to 50 BMG (according to the manufacturer) Propane torch optional at a n'extra $$$. As I do not load for anything smaller than 300 AAC or larger than 45-70 Government I can't speak directly to the efficacy of the UAM on any smaller/larger cases, but suspect the claims as stated are most likely true. For the price of $290 and a lifetime warranty, (the gear-motor rated at 1500 hours only) I’m of the opinion that the UAM is a well above average value and really your only choice in this price range... If you are in the market for a flame/torch type annealing machine.

However, and you just knew there had to be a “however” or two in all this bloviation! There is a bit of a learning curve with the setup from one caliber to the next, aiming the torch so as not to burn the cases or the machines bits is just a wee-bit fiddly. As well, overloading the case hopper with the more large and weighty cases can cause the cases at the bottom of the feed tray to hang-up and not fall into the recess of the feed wheel upon occasion.
    Additionally, and the biggest detractor for some, is that the UAM, while it was designed and engineered by our good friends down-under in that land called OZ, is manufacturing, assembly and pieces-parts are sourced well to the north-northwest, deep in the homeland of Chairman Mao. So, if you can possibly live with yet another shop appliance of Chinese manufacturer then the UAM, after 3+ months of hard use does come very recommended by this here bitter-pill stuffer.
    Kind regards,
    GC

Chico Marx, after his wife caught him in bed with another woman: "Who are you going to believe, me or your lying eyes?"