Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Paint Sprayers High Volume / Low Pressure

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Paint Sprayers High Volume / Low Pressure

I used to spray paint a lot with conventional sprayers (compressed air). I’ve been hearing a lot of good things about this new type of sprayer that doesn’t use compressed air. Supposedly they are easy to use and there is not near the overspray problem.

How good are they? What type to buy? It seems to me there are basically two types. One with everything contained in the pistol and another that compresses the air separately. Do you thin the paint?

Thanks

I have a Rockler 56405 that has the air pump and gun.
    https://www.rockler.com

It is not airless so you get over spray. I just used it to paint a popcorn ceiling and it worked just fine, I would have use it on the walls but did not want to make the white ceiling grey so we rolled the walls. I used it last fall to treat the fence with Thompson's water seal and to paint a wishing well with primer and exterior latex. You need to cut latex paints with a cup or little more of water per gallon for best results.

Cleanup is pretty easy, better then a regular airgun or an airless. And you don't waste the paint near as much. Drawback, you can't spray straight up or down but I still had no problem getting the ceiling done with good coverage.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Grand Master

So are there completely airless sprayers available today?

Yes, you can still find them in Home Depot and Lowes. Harbor Freight has them too. Many pawn shops have them but you never know if they are nearly shot or not. Granger has them too. As with most things you get what you pay for. If you are going to paint a bunch then an airless mid range unit $350.00 might be worth it. On the other hand you can rent them for larger jobs for less the buying one. My HVLP sprayer has had about 15 gallons thru it with no problems. FYI it holds about a quart of paint at a time. I was able to do about a section and a half of fence at a time with the first coat on new wood with the water proofing.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

HVLP sprayers work with a box that gives them air pressure. Looks like a small vaccum. Or you can run them with a regular compressor and put a pressure regulator on the bottom of the gun between the hose and fitting. That's the option I've always done. The first option I've never really used but I had one. The advantage would be if you're working away from a shop and compressor.

As far as overspray, it's much better. The finish lays on smoother. But the overspray is reduced a lot compared to a high pressure gun.

One disadvantage is having to fill the cup. With an HVHP airless air assist pump, like the graco president, you can spray all day and not break down your system.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 02-21-2021 at 08:41 AM.

Boolit Buddy

What are you wanting to paint?

Airless is great for barns, houses and fences but not for cars. https://www.graco.com/us/en/homeowne...-sprayers.html

HVLP guns come in several styles but all use air pressure. Some use air supplied by your shop compressor, others use a small turbine like a vacuum cleaner. Better finish than airless and less overspray than the traditional siphon gun.

Boolit Master
    Airless is High Pressure, like 2500 psi. Very little overspray, it's a paint pump. I have a 3/4 HP Graco that I bought on sale at Home Depot for $300. You paint so fast it's over before you know it, painless. It's primarily for painting houses etc.

HVLP does have overspray and is used for finer finishes like automotive.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master
    So, if I wanted to treat my deck, but also have the ability to paint, which type is recommended ?

Id buy a cheap siphon gun from harbor frieght for decks and such. For that matter, I've used one for stain many years. We used some at work for furniture that didn't have to have a flawless finish.

The airless high pressure, we also used for furniture. Using the right tip, adjusting the gun, and adding the right stuff, like reducer, allows you to get the finish you want.

Cars are a whole different level of perfection.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    Airless is High Pressure, like 2500 psi. Very little overspray, it's a paint pump. I have a 3/4 HP Graco that I bought on sale at Home Depot for $300. You paint so fast it's over before you know it, painless. It's primarily for painting houses etc.

HVLP does have overspray and is used for finer finishes like automotive.
    a fellow down the road from me bought a greco from home depot , painted his house and two barns with it .
    he claimed it saved him enough on paint alone versus using a brush to pay for itself . not to mention how much less labor it was

Boolit Master

Don't what you're trying to paint, but here is my experience with the different types and links to what I personally have:

HVLP automotive guns, like : That's what you use for automotive or similar work. I have the one at the link, along with a SATA clear gun and pile of Harbor Freight guns. The HF guns have their use but I wouldn't bring them near something that is going to see the light of day.

HVLP self contained units: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Wagner-F...-306921507-_-N This is what I use for spraying the deck, furniture, cabinets, etc. It can be made to spray everything from unthinned latex to stain, and even poly. I like mine with the base unit but there isn't really any difference between that and a self contained gun, other than it's lighter in the hand. Wagner is a good brand and parts are available.

Airless sprayers: http://www.bigdboltandtool.com/pd295...rayer-m4910-20 My parents have this one and I've used it several times, mainly for large outdoor projects like the interior of my chicken coop or putting Kilz primer in a friends basement. They lay down A LOT of paint and while there is no "overspray" you do tend to get paint bouncing off. Don't think no overspray means you aren't still going to get paint in the air...it just gets there by a different method. You'd use this to paint a house or do an entire interior before the flooring goes down. They make pretty slick attachments like roller shields that allow you to run along a corner and not spray the adjacent surface.
    Last edited by SeabeeMan; 02-21-2021 at 07:51 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks all for letting me jump on GregLaROCHE's question. I'm going to get the Wagner.

Boolit Master
    No overspray with airless......you need to tell the carpark over the road from the yard about that one.....I reckon two pack epoxy was going two miles and settling un hardened......Graco airless works at up to 7500 psi ,and sprays paint as thick as putty....Graco airless can be powered by air ,but doesnt use air to spray with.....spray is entirely paint pressure.

Boolit Master
    a good hvlp gun like a good old binks or devilibiss or sata has far less overspray then conventional spray guns of the past, they are great for fine quality finishes like imron or 1 and 2 stage urethanes. aint no telling the quality of Chinese knock offs

Boolit Grand Master

I’ve ended up getting a $50 airless sprayer for the couple of jobs I have at hand. Sounds like I may need to invest in a high volume low pressure system, if I get around to several projects that require a good finish. I’ll cross that bridge when I get there.