RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big bore wadcutters

Boolit Grand Master

I'm pretty sure that Veral Smith of LBT was the one who coined the term Ogival Wadcutter.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I have loaded .452 200 gr swc backwards and shot them in a Ballister Molina 1911 sorta. I use them in NRA 50' indoor target shooting. They shot very well and made nice clean round holes and to my surprise they fed fine. Never shot any real wadcutters in the 45 but they should work just fine.
    This!
    I load what I call the "boat tail wad cutter", H&G 200gr and the collar button 185gr in 45 Colt over 5 gr of Red Dot and shot them for years in PPC competition before I got a suitable 38. They cut a fist size hole in a B-27 , and made scoring a real grumbler. The speed loaders were a bit testy but I worked with it.. Had a ball.... shooting rabbits between Alamo and Lund before it was a paved road. Good times..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nhithaca View Post
    https://www.mattsbullets.com/index.p...v49bruvf22in86

I bought some of these (quite soft) and I think they would work good loaded hollow base down into the case for oversize throats. He also makes 32, 38 & 44 bullets in the same style. Loaded some (very light load & hollow point forward) in 45ACP for a Charter Arms revolver and they shot very well. Next going to try some in a 45/410 Taurus Judge which has way over size throats (like 0.456" or so).
    That's from the MP .45 HBWC mould.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Veral Smith of LBT was the one who coined the term Ogival Wadcutter.
    I think you are correct, and who can argue with him. I like the concept of that boolit because of the way it is "thought" to enter the forcing cone but I'm not going to get that started here because it probably needs a whole 'nother thread.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    I have an old LEE 225 grain 2 cavity wadcutter mould in .454 size.
    It really shoots well from my Smith an Wesson .45 colt pistol with adj sights and six inch barrel.
    The cylinder holes were .456 and it shot patterns with .452 bullets, but shoots well with the bigger bullets.

Super Moderator

I use the accurate 43-210W in my 5-1/2" 44 Blackhawk. 6.0 grains of Bullseye is a very accurate and pleasant load to shoot. Whether it's shooting at bulleyes or bunnies, it's a winner in my book.

http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_deta...bullet=43-210W

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    I use the accurate 43-210W in my 5-1/2" 44 Blackhawk. 6.0 grains of Bullseye is a very accurate and pleasant load to shoot. Whether it's shooting at bulleyes or bunnies, it's a winner in my book.

http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_deta...bullet=43-210W
    Interesting boolit. Are you sizing it with lube, shooting as cast with LLA or PCing it?

I shoot WCs out of all my S&W revolvers, except one 25-5 tuned for 250gr RNFP cast and the 57s 41mgs. I got no 41 WC. I don’t like 41s anyway. Bought the HBWC 44 mold and havent used it yet.
    The WCs in 44sp, 44mg and 45Colt besides being accurate work good on deer under 50yds.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    Interesting boolit. Are you sizing it with lube, shooting as cast with LLA or PCing it?
    I am sizing it with a Lee push through sizer, and very lightly lubing it with thinned LLA.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    I am sizing it with a Lee push through sizer, and very lightly lubing it with thinned LLA.
    I don’t have any Accurate molds, I may give that one a try.

Boolit Master
    I got in with USSR on the MP 45 WCHB group buy. I found these casts drop at .457" which is correct for Webley revolvers. Back in the day they were known as the "manstopper" load. Beyond that they can easily be sized down to match the throats of most 45 Colt cylinders. At a cast weight of 230 gr. this makes these boolits very versatile.

Boolit Master
    I have a LEE mould that might be 410190 WC but the mould is not marked. Sort of a button nose wadcutter. I got it and promptly sold all of my 41 guns. Recently got another Black Hawk in .41 so may now actually get to use it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails xIMG_2290.jpg  

Boolit Master
    arlon just reminded me that I have a 165 Lee WC mold I got from a friend who I believe got it on a group buy here...

Just loaded up some in a .41 Special case with 6.5 grains of Unique...was just over 1000 fps if I recall correctly...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RJM52 View Post
    arlon just reminded me that I have a 165 Lee WC mold I got from a friend who I believe got it on a group buy here...

Just loaded up some in a .41 Special case with 6.5 grains of Unique...was just over 1000 fps if I recall correctly...
    That’s perfect for the 41 Spec. That’s what velocity I shoot mostly in the 41 Maggies with 210-220gr cast with 7gr 231. My go to for decades. I could only imagine the lighter weight

Boolit Master
    Back when I had a Ruger BH in .45LC I was shooting 255 SWC's loaded hot. I came across an article about a guide in Africa that preferred the .45 BH as his back up gun. He made his own bullets. Hard cast cylinders long enough to reach the front of the cylinders with the proper amount of powder behind them (a lot ). They were something like 300 or 310gn (?). The performance was such that he had used it on lions and had complete penetration length wise.

Boolit Grand Master

I have cast a LOT of bullets in practically every general design available through the years. I have modern MP molds, NOE, etc. and well as far back as H&G, as well as Lyman and RCBS, etc.

In my view, Hollow Base molds were developed by the ammo factories so that they would work well in a variety of throat sizes and bore sizes in different makers revolvers. Since I have pretty much standardized on bullet size needed (and reamed revolver throats to optimum size where needed), I have had excellent results with the solid base wadcutters. That includes double ended as well as button nose. I am talking group size off a bench (both off sandbags and using a Ransom Rest) that will give me 1" groups or better at 25 yards. I do not need, nor want, to put up with the complexity of casting bullets in a hollow base mold when I can get those results with a solid base and cast perfect bullets at twice the rate with a multicavity solid base mold as compared to a hollow base mold. I am quite willing to put up with the extra work and time casting hollow points where needed because they serve a real need. Further, I don't need many hollow points in day to day shooting.

Since I have no problem getting the accuracy I need with solid bases, the ease or production, far exceeds any perceived need for me.

Of course, that is just me.

Over the years, I have shot a LOT (typically two and three times a week) and thousands of rounds annually over many, many years. I demand excellent home cast bullets, but ease of manufacture is quite important too!

Just a thought or two...
    Dale53

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cas View Post
    I've used and prefer the ogival wad cutter.

Odd how the internet works. I searched Google for a picture of one. And I found this one... looks familiar, oh it was taken on my loading bench. Posted by me on another forum, I only have the vaguest recollection of. lol
    This.

I prefer plain to hollow base so I don’t have to worry about the skirt tearing. I don’t believe they’re any more accurate than PB.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    I don’t believe they’re any more accurate than PB.
    There are a lot of Bullseye shooters shooting at 50 yard targets that would disagree.

Don
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by USSR View Post
    There are a lot of Bullseye shooters shooting at 50 yard targets that would disagree.

Don
    And just as many who would agree.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    And just as many who would agree.
    Go to https://www.bullseyeforum.net/, and then come back and name them. The bullseye community as a whole embraces the HBWC for accuracy.

Don
    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12