Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big bore wadcutters

Boolit Master

Big bore wadcutters

Perusing NOE’s webstore and he has wadcutter molds for both .434” and .452” guns.
    I’ve decided to throttle back some of my target loads and I always liked the nice clean holes in paper the .38 HBWC leaves.

I’m thinking real hard about the 454-251-WC-AC5 mold in my .45 Colt Blackhawk

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...sl=dni-mwandsl

Does anyone have any thoughts, experience or guidance shooting beer can shaped boolits?

Boolit Master

I make the Lyman 454309 for plinking in my Schofield copy. It works great with the shorter 45 Colt cylinder. HS6 is my favorite powder with these. Happy Shooting! Boats

I've used and prefer the ogival wad cutter.

Odd how the internet works. I searched Google for a picture of one. And I found this one... looks familiar, oh it was taken on my loading bench. Posted by me on another forum, I only have the vaguest recollection of. lol

Boolit Master
    I have loaded .452 200 gr swc backwards and shot them in a Ballister Molina 1911 sorta. I use them in NRA 50' indoor target shooting. They shot very well and made nice clean round holes and to my surprise they fed fine. Never shot any real wadcutters in the 45 but they should work just fine.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by cas View Post
    I've used and prefer the ogival wad cutter.

I've shot a lot of them out of my Bisley Flat=top 44 Special.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Rick R, I’ve got that mould, and a few other big bores full wadcutters.

In general I’m a fan of wadcutters in all pistol calibers. In my view the wadcutter is the preferred boolit for handgun use. The maximum meplat means maximum hole diameter in paper targets, maximum energy transfer to steel targets and maximum killing power on things that need killin with a handgun (felons could be an example).

The big meplat means they are the least aerodynamic of boolits and hence shed velocity quickly in air (and in critters which is why they are so effective). So their range is limited to shorter distances...like handgun ranges.

Very few of mine are low powered “target” loads. Mine are mostly driven from mid-range to full throttle.

As to the NOE multi-lube groove design, it’s good enough, but I prefer a single large lube groove. Accurate Molds is my favorite mould maker. He can modify anything in his existing catalog, make you a new design, or his catalog is chock full of good designs. If you see some design you like in say 41 caliber, you can have it made to 45 caliber.

But really if you get the NOE mould you’ll find it’ll be high quality and make you some good wadcutters. I highly encourage it.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master

I would like to shoot such bullets in a .45 acp 25-2 that has .455" throats. Where would I go to find starting load data?

Boolit Grand Master

The NOE 413-215-WC (413432) is an accuracy champ in the 41 Special / 41 Magnum loads .

It's based on Lyman's 358432 design with a few improvements and bumped up to large bore '
    I have the NOE moulds in both .358 and .413 ... I am pretty sure they make a 44 and 45 version of that design ... It's a real winner and you might want to look at it ... if you like accuracy !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    The NOE 413-215-WC (413432) is an accuracy champ in the 41 Special / 41 Magnum loads .

It's based on Lyman's 358432 design with a few improvements and bumped up to large bore '
    I have the NOE moulds in both .358 and .413 ... I am pretty sure they make a 44 and 45 version of that design ... It's a real winner and you might want to look at it ... if you like accuracy !
    Gary

It looks like this?

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...54-264-wc-bl5/

And this?

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...32-237-wc-bl4/

Are you crimping with the boolit completely inside the case like .38 full wadcutter ammo?
    Right now I’m teetering toward something like the .432-237-wc as I own four .44 guns and only one .45 Colt.
    But the .45 would make satisfyingly big holes in paper (kinda the definition of “overkill”)

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post

Gary
    What kind of load, velocity and distance are you shooting at?

Attachment 278221Attachment 278222

Doc, Tom at Accurate Molds just made this mold and added it to his catalogue. It is an ogival nose w/c and it makes nice clean cut holes in the target. I think it would ventilate just about any critter you stuck it in as well. Mine is a 3 cavity and , as usual, it started dropping boolits perfectly right out of the box.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Quote Originally Posted by NuJudge View Post
    I would like to shoot such bullets in a .45 acp 25-2 that has .455" throats. Where would I go to find starting load data?
    You can order the mold and specify that it has cavities in whatever diameter you need. Accurate molds states in his instruction for ordering molds, that they will -usually- drop .002 over what you order. In other words +.002, and minus 0. I believe NOE does the same.Attachment 278224 This is the same boolit I posted previously but with powder coating.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    Attachment 278221Attachment 278222

Doc, Tom at Accurate Molds just made this mold and added it to his catalogue. It is an ogival nose w/c and it makes nice clean cut holes in the target.
    Until you and #CAS mentioned “ogival wadcutters” I’d never heard of them. They are a Really Wide Flatnose boolit? What I had in mind to begin with is a classic full caliber wadcutter at about 850fps solely for puncturing paper, cardboard or small game. I have molds for the .44 265gr NOE style Ranchdog and .45-270SAA to shoot big game, I’m looking for a simpler design that is obviously not “the usual” when I pull a loaded cartridge out of my pocket while at the range or afield.

The two styles I have shoot very well (I have two of the .44 Ranchdogs already).
    I’m exploring simple target boolits. Interested to hear if the Really Wide Flatnosed are more accurate than true wadcutters.

I find it interesting that I haven’t found a big bore hollow base wadcutter mold too.

Boolit Grand Master

Good looking bullet murf. What kind of velocity are you getting out of the ACP

Lyman’s 454424 Keith bullet makes sharp holes as well. It’s a multi functional bullet that doesn’t have to be loaded full power every time.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    I find it interesting that I haven’t found a big bore hollow base wadcutter mold too.
    We ran a group buy for 44 and 45 HBWC moulds a while back, from mp-molds.com He may still have some in stock.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    We ran a group buy for 44 and 45 HBWC moulds a while back, from mp-molds.com He may still have some in stock.
    I bought the MP .45 HBWC mould and sold my NOE 454-251-WC-AC5 mould.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    https://www.mattsbullets.com/index.p...v49bruvf22in86

I bought some of these (quite soft) and I think they would work good loaded hollow base down into the case for oversize throats. He also makes 32, 38 & 44 bullets in the same style. Loaded some (very light load & hollow point forward) in 45ACP for a Charter Arms revolver and they shot very well. Next going to try some in a 45/410 Taurus Judge which has way over size throats (like 0.456" or so).

Boolit Master
    Only wadcutter mold I have for my .41s is from MP... Can be used as a HB-WC, solid WC or a HP-WC....total versatility.

They can be purchased from Matt's Bullets to try before you buy a mold...

Two other hole-punch type bullets I've been using are the Accurate 41-215V and 41-250F. Bought the 215V first and was so happy with the performance I asked if he sould add a second lube groove and base...and the 250F came to be... Have shot them with everything from 8.0 grains of Unique to 22.0 grains of H110 and are very very accurate out past 100 yards... Punches nice round holes even at distance...no yawing at all... The same design is available in .429 and .452...

https://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet...bullet=41-215V

https://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet...ullet=41-215VG

https://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet...bullet=41-250F

https://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet...ullet=41-250FG

Friend liked my molds so much he bought the .429 version..

https://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet...bullet=43-235V

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Good looking bullet murf. What kind of velocity are you getting out of the ACP
    I have not clocked them but I shot them out of a friends Hi Point carbine and they feed like a charm in it. IIRC the load was 6 grs of Unique. When they hit the cardboard target backer, they sound like someone beating the dust out of a rug with a tennis racket! I'd hate to be on the receiving end of one of them. When Tom came up with that boolit, I asked him if he could make one of his 270V molds in a 250-255 gr and he tweaked a little here and there and sent me a drawing. I ordered it pronto. It's a 253 gr with range lead and 2% tin.

I must give credit to cas for the "ogival wadcutter" term. I never heard that design referred to in that manner but I pirated it. Thanks cas.
    Last edited by murf205; 02-22-2021 at 01:27 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast