Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Foster Slugs in 12 gauge

Boolit Master

I have the Lyman slug making kit, once the slug is processed thru the die the outside diameter is .685/.690 in diameter and it fits into a few different available wads. I've had decent luck out with these if the bases are filled and have the proper support for launch, but only out to about 50 yards.

Longbow and I have discussed multiple different techniques for loading both the Foster Slug as well as RB. Even with my Browning A-Bolt 12 gauge the 735 RB is the most accurate of anything I've handloaded.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20181221_122420.jpg   Resized_20180706_115004_5683.jpg   20181222_110320.jpg   20181222_121040.jpg  
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Rich: I agree with Scott, the full bore round ball is hard to beat as a shotgun projectile. Every shotgun and loading technique will produce slightly different results and your Foster loads may work better than mine. If not, not much lost as the handles are worth 2/3 what you paid and the mould blocks would likely sell in a day on swappin' and sellen' (mine did for $45) Cast a few up, enjoy the adventure and if it doesn't work out move the mould along. Gp

Boolit Grand Master

Okay then Scott must have posted this recently because I remember it and I don't remember much anymore!

I am surprised that Lyman would set that rifling swage die size to suit plastic wads because I think Ideal was the originator of those slugs and even if early Lyman that would be before plastic wads were available I am almost sure.

However, if they fit into plastic wads that is certainly the way to load them in my opinion. At least you should be able to choose a plastic wad that gives good fit.

Another thought that comes to mind (and again must have been recently posted) is that someone commented about best accuracy with the Lyman slugs being when they sit on a hard wad column, as mentioned above, and with a good firm roll crimp that centers the nose. That was for the as cast version to ensure concentric bump up. If the slug is loaded into a wad then it likely doesn't matter if roll or fold crimped.

If the OP has a tight bore of 0.710" or smaller he may do alright with as cast slugs. I'd recommend putting a lubed felt wad in the wad column to avoid leading if using soft lead though and maybe tumble lube the slugs as well or use graphite or mica coating on the slugs.

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master

And yes... Yay round balls!!

I do like big 'ol round balls!

Longbow

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    And yes... Yay round balls!!

I do like big 'ol round balls!

Longbow
    These loads shoot very well up to 50 yards. I can't comment on any range further than 50 yards, as all liberals in my area they have shut down the last of the shooting ranges. I now have to travel in excess of 2 hours to get to the nearest place I can shoot over 50 yards.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180721_111454.jpg   20180721_111447.jpg   20180721_111541.jpg   20180721_111536.jpg   20180721_111510.jpg  

Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Master
    My patches were shredded somewhat, but they were still on.

Boolit Grand Master

That's a deep roll crimp you have there Scott! Not saying anything is wrong, just that it is deep.

I figured my 0.735" balls would run right over the roll crimp with that big radius but crimps have always opened flawlessly. I guess most factory slugs are hemispherical or at least large round nose too and they are all (all I've seen) roll crimped.

Have you ever had any roll crimp issues?

As for longer than 50 yards (with smoothbore) my experience seems pretty common. My good loads run 3" to 4" at 50 yards if I do my part and if I use good components. At 100 yards groups vary... a lot! I've had some nice tight groups of about 6" but not dependable or predictable. Normally I'll get a cluster of maybe 3 or 4 in a reasonable group of 6" to 8" but then there's a flier or two out to 10" or 12"... and maybe further.

I also recall Goodsteel posting about smoothbore groups with 0.735" RB's out to past 100 yards being about paper plate sized (10" to 12") which in my experience would be pretty darn good at 100 yards much less beyond.

Probably the best descriptions I have read of smoothbore groups with round balls is that they have a "trombone" trajectory, meaning that out to around 50 or 60 yards groups can be quite good but much beyond that and they open up exponentially (like the bell of a trombone).

Having written this I guess it constitutes thread drift so I'll shut up... except to say that my round ball loads grouped very much tighter than anything I got with the Lyman Foster slugs. Most other slugs have shot better than the Lyman as well... for me anyway.

Longbow

Boolit Master

LB

I didn't like that deep roll crimp either. I did increase the wad column by 1/4" after seeing that depth, I was shooting off the bench, very controlled and didn't see any difference in the accuracy.

Yes sir, sorry for straying off topic with the RB discussion.

Scott
    Scott

Boolit Grand Master

Well, back onto the Lyman Foster slug... my opinion anyway is that if the core pin was shortened a bit and turned own a bit to increase both nose and sidewall thickness some... nose more than sidewall, the slug would be "better". Certainly cast from soft lead they seem to be a bit fragile. While I have no experience hunting with these I have been told that they often don't penetrate well at all especially if the slug hits bone because they just turn into a big flat lead disk more or less. If cast from ACWW they might do better in the penetration department but do have thin nose and skirt so might break up.

If the OP has a tight bored Ithaca the size may be fine. If it has a more or less standard 0.729" bore then likely not so good. It is easy to alter the core pin but not so much for turning driving bands in the mould to get bore fit. Better to try paper patching or sell it if that doesn't work.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    I found enriching the alloy, equivelent to WW, works wonders with slugs or RB's, for both accuracy and penetration.

I sold my Lyman Slug mould and got a Lee 1oz mould. It is much easier to work with and delivers a nearly perfect slug with every pour. Mine are .680 made from WW material and run .730 in a WAA12 Trap wad. I load most all of my Federal Blue Hulls using this combo and 18 gr of Green Dot.

I have three shotguns I shoot slugs from. My A5 with both Hastings Rifled barrel, and Browning Buck Special Smoothbore barrel. a20" Mossberg 500 with a Vang Comped barrel, and an 18" M500 that I have a Vang Comped barrel, an 18" cylinder bore barrel and a 24" rifled barrel for. all the barrels have Open Rifle Sights except the Cyl Bore 18" bbl.

I have to go up to the range and shoot 5 shot groups at 50 yards using that Lee Slug load in each gun and combo.

That's 6 different gun combos, just for that one load. I expect the Buck Special barrel to be the best, but I guess I'll see. It is the barrel I use the most with that gun.

Not expecting too much from the cyl bore 18" bbl. it has got an XS Big Dot on it for a sight. You can see it really well at night!

In closing today I would like all you guys freezing your butts off back east and up north, that it is a nice pleasant 84 degrees here in Ojai CA today. Expect to see lots of fires burning here in CA on TV this year,,, as so far it has rained exactly 1 day this year! It is already dry as punk, and will only get worse.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I tried wrapping them in heat shrink. Eh...

https://youtu.be/U0P3e8TMW6Y

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I would / will be very surprised if your round balls deliver 5 inch groups at 100 yards. I shot Brenneke slugs as well. They were a tad better than Remington sluggers. All others were laughable. The WW shot about 16 inch groups IIRC

Banned

Winchester has always been most accurate for me in over15 different guns over the years.remington was always the worst as they were under bore size.

Boolit Grand Master

So far the best factory rounds for me have been Winchester and Federal (before Tru-Ball)... I haven't tried the Tru-Ball which are supposed to be very good.

As for home loaded ~ AQ slugs and Brenneke Classic I got many many many years ago. Don't recall actual Brenneke groups other than good but AQ's ran around 6" at 100 yards as did the Federal. That's from smoothbore with open sights. Still trying to get my home cast slugs to do that!

Longbow

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12