Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load Data Wideners

Thread: .357 magnum load needed

Boolit Buddy

Smile .357 magnum load needed

I'm looking for load data and reference for MP359640 170 gn. WW lead using GreenDot/PB powder.
    I have loads using several other powders and need some for GD/PB.
    I'll use these in S&W 686 6" and a Henry rifle both .357 magnum.
    I have only one reference for GD and it is using a 200 gr. cast in 38 Spl and 357 mag. All other books stop at 158 gr. cast, I don't know why but they do.
    So if you have such load data please list.

On another forum someone stated that the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook from 1973 had a lot of GD loads. If anyone has that book, Does in have several loads using GD in 357 mag????
    It's 20 bucks on ebay don't want to buy it and it not have GD loads in 357 mag.

If you go to pg. 83 in this part of the forum there is a thread about 220 gr. cast in .357 magnum.
    Click on the reference for Glen Fryxell and he is using 220 gr in 357 mag. and list loads.
    My question is "Where in the world does he get the load data????"
    Will I ever load a 220 gr cast in my 357 uuummmm probably not, BUT in would sure be NIIIICE to have load data for it if I can get it.
    Wait a minute, on second though that 220 grainer might make a good hog boolit out of my rifle

Thanks
    JamesGR

"The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JAMESGR View Post
    I'm looking for load data and reference for MP359640 170 gn. WW lead using GreenDot/PB powder.
    I have loads using several other powders and need some for GD/PB.
    I'll use these in S&W 686 6" and a Henry rifle both .357 magnum.
    I have only one reference for GD and it is using a 200 gr. cast in 38 Spl and 357 mag. All other books stop at 158 gr. cast, I don't know why but they do.
    So if you have such load data please list.

On another forum someone stated that the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook from 1973 had a lot of GD loads. If anyone has that book, Does in have several loads using GD in 357 mag????
    It's 20 bucks on ebay don't want to buy it and it not have GD loads in 357 mag.

If you go to pg. 83 in this part of the forum there is a thread about 220 gr. cast in .357 magnum.
    Click on the reference for Glen Fryxell and he is using 220 gr in 357 mag. and list loads.
    My question is "Where in the world does he get the load data????"
    Will I ever load a 220 gr cast in my 357 uuummmm probably not, BUT in would sure be NIIIICE to have load data for it if I can get it.
    Wait a minute, on second though that 220 grainer might make a good hog boolit out of my rifle

Thanks
    JamesGR
    I ordered some 230gr WCs for my 357, and they shot great over 10.1gr of Lil'Gun, which is what the manufacturer recommends.

According to Load Data.com, Alliant recommends 5.7gr of Green Dot for 158gr lead and 5.0gr of Green Dot for 200gr lead...those are max loads. I would start somewhere between 4.5gr (the starting load for 200gr) and 5.0gr and work up with your 170gr boolits.
    Last edited by Daekar; 02-21-2021 at 12:01 AM.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Grand Master

I shoot 220 grain in mine. Usual source for data is for the 215 gr Lyman 358627.

Boolit Master
    The really old Hercules / Alliant manuals have most of the pressure data in cup and actual pressures were higher than people understood. However, the format of these older guides was great in that they tried to give you loads for most all of their powders to the extent practical.

After Alliant switched over to psi for pressure, charges dropped some but this was justified. For a while they still maintained a comprehensive format where they were not "cherry picking" select powders for a given application (like they do now). The 2003 load data booklet is one of the best sources of "good" data (with pressure in psi) for Alliant powders.

http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/Fre...liant_2003.pdf

It has a good bit of Green Dot data for the 357 on page 16.

My only issue with the 2003 data is that they do not list brands for bullets. Sometimes I want to determine seating depth for comparison with my bullets and with the older Alliant data this is a challenge.
    Last edited by P Flados; 02-21-2021 at 01:42 AM.

http://castpics.net/LoadData/Freebies/RM/Alliant.html

2003 and 2005 are what I call "The golden era" of the alliant manuals. Starting in 2008 they redesigned their manuals and left out tons od data/loads.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the help everyone
    JAMESGR