Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Anyone using red dot for buckshot and slugs

Boolit Mold

Anyone using red dot for buckshot and slugs

Does anyone load buckshot or slugs using alliant red dot . Im aware it wont be the idea powder but with the shortage of powers its what i have available . If so anyone have any loads they care to share thanks in advance

Boolit Master
    To answer your question requires stepping outside of "traditional" buckshot sizes.

On the Alliant website you will find both Red Dot and Green Dot one ounce load data for use with WAA12 or WT12 (orange) wads. These wads are usually associated with 1 & 1/8 ounce loads

A .310" lead ball for muzzle loaders will weigh in at 45 grains. Nine .310" lead balls, in layers of three, will fit a WAA or WT12 wad perfectly, flush with the top of the shot cup without bulging. That is a 405 grain lead payload. Said otherwise this is approximately a .93 ounce payload.

Nine .311" lead balls will also fit in the same manner.

Such lead balls can be found at muzzleloading suppliers in cast or swaged form.

Use this approach at your own discretion.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RMc View Post
    To answer your question requires stepping outside of "traditional" buckshot sizes.

On the Alliant website you will find both Red Dot and Green Dot one ounce load data for use with WAA12 or WT12 (orange) wads. These wads are usually associated with 1 & 1/8 ounce loads

A .310" lead ball for muzzle loaders will weigh in at 45 grains. Nine .310" lead balls, in layers of three, will fit a WAA or WT12 wad perfectly, flush with the top of the shot cup without bulging. That is a 405 grain lead payload. Said otherwise this is approximately a .93 ounce payload.

Excellent reply...it is what I intend to do as I want low recoil buckshot loads for important work.
    Don Verna

Hoss: I tried some Red Dot powder under the WT12 wads and a round ball a while back. The powder load was well within the weight range. The gas seals were majorly blown on the wads but I blame the economy wads more than the Red Dot. I'm going to try again using the Federal 12S3 or 4 wads and see what that does. Gp

Boolit Mold
    Gpidaho what size round ball did you use im definitely intrested in working up a round ball load for deer and hog but have to do more research frist
    Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    Hoss: I tried some Red Dot powder under the WT12 wads and a round ball a while back. The powder load was well within the weight range. The gas seals were majorly blown on the wads but I blame the economy wads more than the Red Dot. I'm going to try again using the Federal 12S3 or 4 wads and see what that does. Gp

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for your response ive found a few published data on the Alliant size i believe i can use

Hoss: Those RBs were from a mould I just bought and my first try with them. RCBS .678 that dropped at .681. Hard to say if I'll like that size or not as the wads failed miserably. The RB that has worked well for me and would take about anything as game goes is the full bore Lyman .735 I powder coat them to about .738. 39gr. Blue Dot, X12X gas seal, hard fiber wad, nitro card, round ball and clear plastic overshot card (optional) roll crimp. I've used as much as 44gr. of Blue Dot with this load but it's uncomfortable LOL These will work fine in either 2 3/4 or 3" hulls just adjust hard cards to fit. Good luck. Gp

Allright now you did not specify hole size. I use 4.5 grains of Promo pushing a 124gr. rn .356 projectile seated into a cut down BPI wad in 2" 410 hull. Works great! Little boys killed rabbits and turkey in a variety of settings with several different guns. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	410 002.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	145.3 KB 
ID:	278138 Low recoil but muffs are needed for young ears. Loaded on a MEC sizemaster, by the hundreds.
    Shoot often, Shoot well.

Boolit Buddy
    I used 7/8 oz lee slug in a gun club hull with red dot and waa12 sl wad. I don't remember the charge weight but I know it was the starting load for 7/8oz birdshot from the Lyman manual.

My manual said 20-21 grains. I dropped to 18. I use #1 buckshot. They will self stack. Take 9 in your hand, pour them into a 12 ga hull and you get 3 stacks of 3 every time.

To that I add a small measure of cornmeal for buffering, an overshot card to keep buffer from leaking. (Punched from white plastic milk jugs) Crimp.

Its more of a tactical load.

I have also loaded Red Dot/Promo in slugs but have not tested those yet.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Mold
    I have an 8 x 00 pellet load. The payload is 480 grains thus just under 11/8oz and I use 18 grains Red Dot. Quiet a soft shooting load. 23/4 inch case with a Z21 wad with petals cut off, crimp closure. It's basically a 11/8oz birdshot load off the Alliant web site with shot size changed. Think our 00 may be different weight to what you have, I'm in Scotland, UK.

Boolit Buddy
    Win aa hull 17.2 red dot waa12 wad 9 pellets of .310 single o is a nice soft shooting load fits the hull and crimps well.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RMc View Post

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Excellent reply...it is what I intend to do as I want low recoil buckshot loads for important work.

The idea is to find existing load data with a payload weight and shotcup capacity that can be closely matched with an available lead ball diameter.

Most importantly, matched without other modification or causing case wall bulge. In this case, a basic one ounce, 1300 fps, target load that only requires manually dropping the buckshot in lieu of small birdshot.

These are not long range hunting loads, but make no mistake, these are buckshot.

It is just that simple.
    Last edited by RMc; 02-25-2021 at 12:20 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kycrawler View Post
    Win aa hull 17.2 red dot waa12 wad 9 pellets of .310 single o is a nice soft shooting load fits the hull and crimps well.
    +1.....works fine with 9 pellets of .319 also
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kycrawler View Post
    My load exactly! Mild but will blow through the side of a refrigerator.(Repurposed out in the pasture) Casting the RB with a single cavity Lee can make a guy crazy,. The sprues weigh more than the RB. lol
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine