Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Wtb: Good Casting Alloy

Boolit Buddy

Wtb: Good Casting Alloy

Im a new loader and caster and I am looking for a known quantity to help improve my art.

SO I'm thinking several pounds of an alloy that is known to cast and shoot VERY well in a 5" 1911 with an MP-452-200 mold would be interesting, along with whatever procedure you used to prep the boolits (PC, ALOX, etc...)

Basically I want to try to duplicate something that is known to work, and thereby detect more defects in my processes.

Boolit Master

Wtb: Good Casting Alloy

I use a 2%Sb/7%sn/91% Pb mix for my MP 454-200s with the HP pin installed. Very accurate in my dads 1911 as well as his 1917 revolver in bowling pin shoots. I have seen great results out of my 1911 against paper at 10yds with either 2/4/94 or 2/7/91 but I like the former as it’s a bit cheaper to make. I also don’t vary my load for the HP vs the solid and for as well as I shoot (not great but manageable) it works for me.

I powder coat using Smoke PC via tumble coat with BBs.

Here are my dad’s notes on his load data for pin shoots which is pretty close to my results as well:

“With your [454-200] HP PC-coated all bullets, I’m generally in the 5.1gr-5.6gr Bullseye, and getting terrific pin results, in the low-mid 900f/s area. The SWC’s I usually stay down around 5.0gr.”

Sorry didn’t realize this is a WTB, disregard my notes unless they help build out your load. If you can’t find anyone with alloy to spare shoot me a pm and I might be able to blend you some up but it wouldn’t be for a couple weeks till after I recover from surgery this coming week.
    Last edited by StuBach; 02-20-2021 at 04:53 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by StuBach View Post
    I use a 2%Sb/7%sn/91% Pb mix for my MP 454-200s with the HP pin installed. Very accurate in my dads 1911 as well as his 1917 revolver in bowling pin shoots. I have seen great results out of my 1911 against paper at 10yds with either 2/4/94 or 2/7/91 but I like the former as it’s a bit cheaper to make. I also don’t vary my load for the HP vs the solid and for as well as I shoot (not great but manageable) it works for me.

I powder coat using Smoke PC via tumble coat with BBs.

Here are my dad’s notes on his load data for pin shoots which is pretty close to my results as well:

“With your [454-200] HP PC-coated all bullets, I’m generally in the 5.1gr-5.6gr Bullseye, and getting terrific pin results, in the low-mid 900f/s area. The SWC’s I usually stay down around 5.0gr.”

Sorry didn’t realize this is a WTB, disregard my notes unless they help build out your load. If you can’t find anyone with alloy to spare shoot me a pm and I might be able to blend you some up but it wouldn’t be for a couple weeks till after I recover from surgery this coming week.
    Thank you this is good info

My dream here is to buy an alloy that has known very good groups at 25yds or greater from a typical 1911 with 5" barrel

Boolit Grand Master

Taracorp or “hardball” is the industry standard. You can buy known alloy from foundries such as our sponsor Rotometals. Anything alloyed from scrap sources is a question mark unless analyzed.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master

IMO the 1911 is one of the easiest do do cast with. It is a low pressure round so you should be able to find a good cast load very easy. Some of the variables are more personal preference than they are best. Alox works fine but I got tired of cleaning the stick junk off of everything. I finally switched to the powder coating once it had been around awhile and proven to work very well. It's one of the cheapest and easiest for new loaders to get set up.
    Aim small, miss small!

There's no such thing as a known alloy for your gun. That's why it's called load development. You have to try and test, rinse and repeat.

Sorry, but good luck.

On a positive note, when powder coating you can use pretty much anything.

FWIW- a decent quality 1911 will probably shoot any alloy good using the 200 gr SWC, except pure lead

Sean

Boolit Master

When I did commercial casting I used 50/50 pure lead/ Linotype and that equals the hardball alloy.
    It is a very hard alloy that could be cut with a little more lead and still work well.
    The best thing is that it is easily repeatable .

Boolit Mold
    I've had good results with clip on wheel weights mixed with linotype in a ratio by weight of 4:1 - four parts of wheel weights to one part of linotype.
    Last edited by gravetpo; 02-21-2021 at 01:48 AM.

I use straight COWW plus 2% tin for my 200gr SWC in my NM .45. Very accurate...

Boolit Grand Master
    You cannot go wrong with "hardball" (92-2-6) alloy. It casts easily and will not break the bank.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    This may be a good time to go to the boolit exchange section , and try some other boollits and lube choices .
    Have you got your loading worked out ?

Boolit Master

Just my 2 cents, but nobody needs 7% Tin in a handgun alloy, it is just a waste.

Hard ball is a good all around alloy at 2% Tin, 6% Antimony, 92% Lead. Lyman #2 will cast easier at 5% Tin, 5% Antimony, 90% Lead. But, I would try 2% Tin, 3% Antimony, 95% Lead, it works well with any commercial lube in my .45 ACP, casts fairly easy if you keep the temp stable, and is a bit cheaper due to the lower Tin content.

Since your fairly new to this, I thought I'd just add this:

1.) Tin = Toughness and Castability.

2.) Antimony = Hardness/Brittleness.

3.) Lead = Mass and Filler.
    Last edited by Defcon-One; 02-21-2021 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Updated!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits." - Albert Einstein

Boolit Master

Sorry, for a Hollow Point, I'd use 25:1! It will shoot and expand well. That is 25 parts Pure Lead to 1 part Tin. You don't want much, if any, Antimony in an expanding bullet, it will be too brittle.

I can provide you with any alloy/quantity that you want at a fair price! But you are gonna have to do the work yourself, since every firearm is a bit different.

DC-1
    Last edited by Defcon-One; 02-21-2021 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Updated!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits." - Albert Einstein

Boolit Buddy
    I'm looking for an alloy someone has used with MP-452-200 hollow points in a 1911 5" that has good expansion and very good accuracy at 25yds..trying to avoid SWC's because they dont fit my gun

I'm looking to BUY the alloy..this is a WTB thread...I know about the theoretical things but I'm trying to reduce variables and start with a known quantity

Banned
    how much alloy are you looking for?
    Last edited by Conditor22; 02-21-2021 at 01:17 PM.