MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Inland S/N

Inland S/N

This week I purchased a carbine from a private business listing on Gunbroker. Listing simply stated that it was part of an estate sale. Other firearms listed was an AK-47, a nice S/S shotgun, a Win 30-30, and several others that made up a very nice collection. The carbine is an Inland with S/N 535xxxx. It comes with a sling, oiler and one 15-rd mag. The bolt is the flat style and barrel has the bayonet lug. I realize that pics do not tell the real condition, so I asked several questions about any known history, etc. Seller had no helpful knowledge other than all firearm items seemed to be very nice and well taken care of. UGH!! Anyway, the serial number on the carbine indicates that it was manufactured between Jan and August 1944. Wouldn't this qualify the carbine to be originally a USGI WWII rifle? I have no idea about any parts or cartouches, but I took a chance that this rifle may be a diamond in the rough; OR maybe a terrible buy. I paid more than twice as much for this rifle as I paid for a CMP Inland many years ago. Was I crazy?
    314th Air Divsion
    20th Tactical Air Support Squadron
    RVN 67-68 & 68-69

Personal and Up "Close Air Support"

Pictures would really help. It would be really unusual for a carbine of that age to never have been through an upgrade.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    Pictures would really help. It would be really unusual for a carbine of that age to never have been through an upgrade.

35W
    These are the only pics available.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails M1.jpg   M1-2.jpg   M1-3.jpg   M1-4.jpg   M1-5.jpg  

M1-6.jpg   M1-7.jpg  
    314th Air Divsion
    RVN 67-68 & 68-69

I think ( but do not know) that the bayonet lugs came after WW2. The early guns had push button safety and two leaf flip rear sight, and flat top bolt. Also two handguard rivets; later ones had four. I Think....
    Edit- the pics came while I was posting; it looks good!
    Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I think ( but do not know) that the bayonet lugs came after WW2. The early guns had push button safety and two leaf flip rear sight, and flat top bolt. Also two handguard rivets; later ones had four. I Think....
    Edit- the pics came while I was posting; it looks good!
    Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    Part of vthe history of the bayonet lug states: "The first M1 Carbines were designed in the late 1930s without a bayonet, but one was quickly developed and supplied. In May of 1944 the M-4 bayonet was standardized for use with the M-1 Carbine." I'm thinking the carbine I purchased, due to the Inland S/N was more than likely made after May of 1944. Wishful thinking. No doubt it went through some upgrades, but a lot of the M1 Carbines came straight out of the factories as mix-masters as companies would exchange parts during the build.
    314th Air Divsion
    RVN 67-68 & 68-69

Quote Originally Posted by sirgknight View Post
    Part of vthe history of the bayonet lug states: "The first M1 Carbines were designed in the late 1930s without a bayonet, but one was quickly developed and supplied. In May of 1944 the M-4 bayonet was standardized for use with the M-1 Carbine." I'm thinking the carbine I purchased, due to the Inland S/N was more than likely made after May of 1944. Wishful thinking. No doubt it went through some upgrades, but a lot of the M1 Carbines came straight out of the factories as mix-masters as companies would exchange parts during the build.
    Lots of good info on the carbine here.

I think your barrel band could be original, but the bolt and probably the rear sight are replacements.

I wouldn't worry too much about whether it's original or not, just be glad you got one and enjoy it! I have five and the greatest thing about all of them is they shoot cast bullets wonderfully. My favorite is from an RCBS 30-115-SP mold and cast of ACWW can be run right up to 2000 fps with no leading and great accuracy out to 200 yds. In order to save my H110, VV110, W296 and AA 4100, I use AL 2400 and am experimenting with AL 410 and keep the velocities around 1900 fps-

A fun plinking load is 6.0 gr. of Unique and a 100 or so gr. SWC. It does around 1450 fps and shoots around 4" at 100 yds.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

I too enjoy shooting 120gr cast w/gas check using 2400 powder and WSR (Wolf russian) primers. Surprised you list the Wolf primer.....one of the best primers in my shop. I currently shoot my Inland S/N 538xxx. Where can I find manufacture date?
    314th Air Divsion
    RVN 67-68 & 68-69

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    Lots of good info on the carbine here.

I think your barrel band could be original, but the bolt and probably the rear sight are replacements.

I wouldn't worry too much about whether it's original or not, just be glad you got one and enjoy it! I have five and the greatest thing about all of them is they shoot cast bullets wonderfully. My favorite is from an RCBS 30-115-SP mold and cast of ACWW can be run right up to 2000 fps with no leading and great accuracy out to 200 yds. In order to save my H110, VV110, W296 and AA 4100, I use AL 2400 and am experimenting with AL 410 and keep the velocities around 1900 fps-

A fun plinking load is 6.0 gr. of Unique and a 100 or so gr. SWC. It does around 1450 fps and shoots around 4" at 100 yds.

35W
    A closeup on pic #6 shows the rear sight being stamped I.R. co 7160060. And, research shows the I.R. company sight was in production in 1944 for the carbine. That's according to milsurps.com. Couldn't the rear sight be correct for this carbine? They were known to have been placed on Inlands, Winchesters and Rockolas.
    Last edited by sirgknight; 02-21-2021 at 01:49 AM.
    314th Air Divsion
    RVN 67-68 & 68-69

A closeup on pic #6 shows the rear sight being stamped I.R. co 7160060. And, research shows the I.R. company sight was in production in 1944 for the carbine. That's according to milsurps.com. Couldn't the rear sight be correct for this carbine? They were known to have been placed on Inlands, Winchesters and Rockolas.
    Somewhere I read that the stamped rear sights, as opposed to milled ones, were used beginning sometime in 1945. Sorry I can't state my source.

You might post the pictures and info of you rifle on the CMP Forum or the Carbine Collectors Club Forum. Either place should have all the answers.

35W

NRA Life Member

Thanks fellers.....
    314th Air Divsion
    RVN 67-68 & 68-69

Boolit Master

For what its worth, your carbine has been upgraded. It is most likely an arsenal upgrade. The rear sight (stamped), safety, and barrel band are all late features first factory installed in the 6 million serial number range. The stock is a post WWII M2 stock; probably made by Springfield Armory. Chances are that the internal parts are a mix of manufacturers parts. Nothing wrong with that. Although it is not as manufactured, it does appear to be all US GI. It is still a nice carbine and would be a good representation of an upgraded one in any collection. If you want to know more, P.M. me and we can discuss details.

Finally got my hands on the rife:

Receiver: INLAND 5,357,xxx

Barrel: UNDERWOOD 11 43

Front sight: P O Q (quality hardware)

Rear sight: I. R. CO. 7160060 (international register)

Bottom of trigger housing: T (unknown)

Safety: N (unknown)

Back side of trigger group: w ? (see pic)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails W mark.jpg  
    314th Air Divsion
    RVN 67-68 & 68-69

Back side of trigger group: w ? (see pic)
    W is Winchester. manufacture.
    Kind regards,
    GC

Chico Marx, after his wife caught him in bed with another woman: "Who are you going to believe, me or your lying eyes?"