Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Diy H&R rebounding trigger

Diy H&R rebounding trigger

So something I'm trying. Those of you who have messed with Handi rifles probably know how bad the triggers can be. Well even with you manage to do a trigger job,you basically have to keep it a keep it a 4-3lbs to allow enough snap that you completely pull though and keep the transfer bar up and fire the gun. Well I can't for the life of me make good accurate shots doing that, sorry just can't, it's like trying to chase the trigger back more than anything. And yes I do do alot of dry fire practice. I can do it with my other guns just fine but not the handies.So after researching for a while i found out you can skip over the trigger bar part by replacing the factory hammer with a rebounding hammer from a 155 topper. This gives you a half cock safety,not as good as the transfer bar for safety but better for durability and accuracy. Also keeps the hammer off the firing pin when not in use. Well found one on numrich for not too much but since I had a old hammer lying around I took my dermal ( in know all the actual gun smiths are probably cringing right now lol )and some sand paper and made a crude but functional rebounding hammer by just cutting a half cock notch. And then sanded down and re faced the hammer so it will strike the firing pin fully. I screwed up the first cut and had to make a second below it but ! I think I'm in to something here. So far managed to get nice trigger pull ( guessing around 2.5lbs) and out of 50 or so rounds I've yet to get a mis fire. Real easy to use just pull the hammer back a hair after the shot and it's on a half cock. It's not gonna stop the shot if it's dropped like a transfer bar but it does catch if the hammer is at half pull and it slips. Only has a little bit of spring tension on it at half cock but fella like you need at lease 5lbs to pull it out of half cock. Even then there wasn't enough spring pressure to fire a round. Took it out today and it made shooting it much easier ! I am worried though because the metal used in these hammers is notorious for being brittle but we will see Anyhow just wanted to share this little experiment.
    Here it is in after cutting
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1613808002855.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	278071

In half cock

Name:	FB_IMG_1613808005730.jpg 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	278072

In full cock

Name:	FB_IMG_1613808008068.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	278073

And in half cock on my rifle

Name:	FB_IMG_1613808010385.jpg 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	278074

Any how just something I'm tinkering with but so far it working pretty good from what I can see. Any how I'm not a gun smith or anything just sharing this little experiment of mine lol

Boolit Master
    Nice.
    So you ground the top flat face that used to hit the action above the firing pin back so it would hit the firing pin now without the transfer bar in it.yes?
    Looks like a good mod when my transfer bar dies one day.

It still lets the firing pin back under it’s spring right?

I made a channel in my barrel extractor face so it pushes the firing pin back in if I gets stuck out from junk etc.

Easy to break one if you lone it to someone and they open the action while holding the trigger back afte firing.

Hmmm don’t ask how I know.