Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating Steak

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Eating Steak

I have always enjoyed eating red meat. In my generation we were told too much red meat was not good for you, cholesterol etc. New studies have disproved that, but that is not the topic of this post. I now have no problems eating a lot of steaks that I enjoy.

I recently have started putting steaks on individual cutting boards instead of plates. The meat cuts much more easily and my knives stay sharper much longer. Imagine when you take the finely sharpened edge of a knife and force it down onto the very hard surface of most plates. You can’t help but dull it. There is also just something I find appealing to eating on a piece of wood.

I wipe off the cutting boards and sometimes add a little salt as an abrasive, if needed, to clean them. The same as I clean my cast iron pans. I suppose you could wash them with a little water and soap, but for sure, don’t let your wife put them in the dishwasher.

How many others have tried eating steaks like this? If you haven’t, you should try it.
    Last edited by GregLaROCHE; 02-20-2021 at 01:28 AM.

Sounds good, but I've heard wooden cutting boards can catch & hold bacteria that may not be healthy for ya.

You might want to check into how to keep them sterilized like you would for any other serving dishes.
    Plain salt and/or vinegar might work, it might even be a non-issue, but I'd look into it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Eat steak on cutting board all the time, but still puzzling over the title "Earring Steak".........
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Boolit Grand Master

Nope, a very good friend of mines mother died from food poisonings contracted at a family gathering. Only the people that used the fancy wooden plates got sick.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RoyEllis View Post
    Eat steak on cutting board all the time, but still puzzling over the title "Earring Steak".........
    Oops! I don’t know if was me or auto correct. I tried to edit it, seems like you can’t edit titles. I hope people can understand.

Boolit Grand Master

Salt kills 99.9 percent of bacteria etc. For centuries we have salted meat to preserve it.

Boolit Master

Raw poultry cut up on a board, and the board then used to cut up something else is a no no. Causes salmonella poisoning. Dedicated boards for serving cooked food should be OK.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Grand Master

Each to their own but I don't use anything that can't go into the dishwasher in sanitization cycle. Switched to Antibacterial Synthetic Cutting Boards

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...es-restaurant/

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-di...cutting-boards

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/work...s-restaurants/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    No wood for me thank you. The fact it is for cooked meat still allows bacteria to grow.

Plastic cutting boards that can be sanitized in a dishwasher heat cycle but have noticeable wear are dangerous also. My wife who is formally trained in this area bequeathes her cutting boards to me for the man cave and loading projects that do not pass her safety criteria.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

One time use paper plates would save what little dulling occurs on a ceramic plate, maybe some wood grained paper plates. The Cedar Plank Salmon is a one time use for a reason,maybe come up with a one time use flavored/cured board for serving isn’t a bad idea.

Banned

In a word “NO”

I'm thinking about having steak this July 4th, gonna start saving my money now so I can afford a couple. Taking out a bank loan for steak is the sissy way out.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RoyEllis View Post
    Typo- "r" is next to "t" on the keyboard.
    Gun control is not about guns.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Each to their own but I don't use anything that can't go into the dishwasher in sanitization cycle. Switched to Antibacterial Synthetic Cutting Boards

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...es-restaurant/

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-di...cutting-boards

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/work...s-restaurants/
    M-Tecs,
    I always respect your opinions that you post ...but not so much this time.
    or maybe I'm just old school in the kitchen?
    I love to use real wood for meal prep cutting, but I do serve on Corelle dinnerware, and mostly I use serrated steak knives at the dinner table, they don't get dull.

BTW, I've heard this from other sources years ago.

https://www.rowandsons.co.uk/blog/my...operties-wood/

clip from article:
    ...According to a scientific study on Plastic and Wooden Chopping Boards, which was conducted by Dean O. Cliver, Ph.D, it has transpired that wooden chopping boards are in fact hygienic owing to the fact that certain types of wood do seem to exhibit antibacterial properties. The research was carried out at the University of Wisconsin and involved the testing of an extensive range of wooden and plastic chopping boards made from different source materials in order to see how long various examples of dangerous bacteria could survive on each type of cutting surface.

In order to test the safety of the boards, three main types of bacteria, well known to cause serious food poisoning, were used. The bacteria used in the experiment were E. Coli, Salmonella and Listeria. Quite surprisingly, when considering the initial ‘unfounded’ advice that plastic is safer, the wooden chopping boards provided outstanding results on every occasion.

Although plastic chopping boards have a nonporous surface when new, many of the cheaper boards can scar quite easily when used with sharp cutting implements. With regular use, the damage accumulates over time and creates a rough surface that can become awkward to clean regardless of whether the board is soaked, cleaned manually with hot running water or placed in dishwasher using bleach and detergents. Of course, high-end plastic cutting boards are not as susceptible to such damage in everyday use.

The tests results indicate that the surface of a wooden board will actually stop dangerous bacteria from multiplying and the germs simply die out after a period of about three minutes. Following the experiment, the scientists at the University of Wisconsin found that 99.9% of the bacteria placed on the wooden chopping boards had died out completely within minutes whereas some of the cheaper plastic boards had very little effect in terms of killing dangerous microbes.

After being left overnight in normal room temperature conditions, the wooden chopping boards had no living bacteria left on them at all. Although the researchers were unable to identify how or why the wood cutting boards were able to kill off the bacteria – it really does seem that wood does have antibacterial properties after all.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    The latest info is that germs last Longer on nonporous surfaces so wood is less germ friendly, just harder to clean. I never had any problem with wood cutting boards, I think that's an Old Wives Tale. Fire got my wood cutting boards and I just have a cheap plastic Costco plastic set but I cut and serve off them all the time. Living life on the ragged edge. LOL

JonB has it right.
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 02-20-2021 at 10:24 AM.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Only allow wood cutting boards in the kitchen. No decent knife should ever go in dishwasher.

Boolit Master

I also hate the sound of a well sharpened edge snapping down on a porcelain plate (one of the easons I enjoy having fired the ex). My solution was to practice cutting steak nearly through from the top, then forking the cutoff piece up to complete the cut away from the plate. Got good at it fast and it works. My steak knives are simple, older plastic handled serrated utility knives that I sharpen with a Gerber Sportsman sharpening steel - very sharp right out to the points and they cut easy.

I worked in a grocery store when I was a kid. My last job of the day was to clean the two big wooden butcher blocks. First scrape them then wire brush with salt. Scape off salt and cover with salt and a cheese cloth. Think of all the meat across the country that was handled the same way for a hundred years at least. If someone got sick it is usually because somebody didn’t do their cleaning. I think it was in 70s when FDA outlawed wood butcher blocks and wooden handled knives in slaughter houses and butcher shops. I’ve seen those stylish wooden plates. They aren’t made to clean and all made in SE Asia. Outhouse boards.

Using Mineral oil on your wooden cutting boards also helps seal the pores of the wood. Bacteria stays on the surface and can be washed off with soap and water. I re-oil my cutting boards about 3 times a year. Yes...I use them to cut only cooked meats...nothing raw on the wood.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

I do believe the more humans have lived in a sterilized non-bacterial world, the less tolerant and more susceptible to bacterial diseases we have become. Some fancy restaurants serve planked steak. I believe it would be less of a problem if only the cooked meat was put on the wood. A good steamer would probably be the best disinfectant. Anyways, I love a good barbecued steak.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast