RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: COVID Problems

Banned

COVID Problems

There have been plenty of discussion on the topic of COVID, but there is one issue no one has brought up. That is the problems of wearing a mask and wearing hearing aids. For those who do not wear hearing aids be thankful for your hearing.

Love'em or hate'em masks are part of our lives. I am in a mask required state so I tolerate wearing mine.

The issue is taking the thing off and it is always tangled up with the over the ear hearing aids, too often pulling them off, but not out of my ears, especially the left ear. I have always caught it when it happens, that it till Wednesday when I noticed I was missing a hearing aid. Retracing my stops did not find it so it appears it's gone for good.

Now, I have one aid and hear in an unbalanced condition. My left ear is the good ear but without the two units working together everything sounds a bit off, including my own speech.

Buying a new one requires a pair to keep them matched, at $3000 each. The other option is the VA. I have not used the VA since I moved to Minnesota and I am quickly finding out that COVID and the natural bureaucratic ineptitude make getting into the hospital a challenge that requires more patience than I normally have. But, I don't have 6 grand just setting in a bank somewhere either.

Grrr, and I cannot sue the governor for the replacement cost.

Rant and venting over, frustration is on going.

Ken

I can’t wear the masks that loop around the ears because of my behind the ear hearing aids. Only masks I can use have elastic that goes behind your head. Severely limits the number of masks one can choose. Fortunately,being a drywall contractor, I had access to N-95 masks that work in my scenario. Expensive,but necessary (both the masks and the hearing aids).
    Appalachian American Clinging to my bible,my guns and my H&G moulds

Boolit Master
    Maybe your home insurance will cover them (it).
    R.D.M.

Don’t wear hearing aids (yet) but never thought of that problem. I do know wearing glasses is a problem as they fog over. I tend to favor the neck gaiter type of mask and don’t know if it would be better when wearing hearing aids. I also dread summer because no masks are comfortable when the temperature and humidity are in the mid 90’s.

Bandanas are excellent,

tie them off below your ear behind your head. No more ear tug.

Less fogging up of glasses.

They cost like a dollar

But that being said. Theres very few that force me to wear anything over my face. My employer is the main one, mostly because the prospect of finding a new employer that doesnt require a mask doesnt look too good.
    If a store tells me to wear a mask, i respect their property rights and leave. So far i have had to quit shopping twice.
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

Boolit Master

I have this problem with hearing aids too. the mask is NOT fun to take off
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Super Moderator

Check your vehicle very carefully. That is where I most often pull the mask off after going places. Hope it turns up Ken, so you don't have to pony up for a new one. If you do buy a new one, it will surely turn up then.

Boolit Master

Checkout the Rz mask. They have a Velcro that goes behind the neck. You will also need their blue filter plug that prevents expelling air particles. You breathe your own air. They carry them at Lowe’s or straight from the factory. They are not cheap but do work with hearing aids pretty well.

Gmsharps

Boolit Master

Why not try the clear "Vizor Shield" instead of a Mask? I see many of the clerks in Stores wearing them instead of the mask most other wear. There is nothing over the ears; more like a hat band (or welders helmet band) that supports the Vizor. They look like this:

Attachment 278063

Amazon sells them (as well as others) - here is a link:

https://www.amazon.com/Protection-Me...89NH42C9&psc=1
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    I don't wear true hearing aids, but do wear bose hearphones and glasses. I wear a mask at work and find that putting my finger under the upper loupe of elastic and going around my ears front to back, top to bottom keeps from tangling.

I saw a snow man with a mask today!

Boolit Master

I lost one of mine and same thing its expensive if you lose one when you go to get the new pair , funny they let you keep old pair but you have to have pair to get new pair , yes it is so easy to knock stuff off glasses all the time when removing mask , its time to let people make the decision wear them or not .

My FIL has VA hearing aids, pretty fancy are bluetooth capable, adjust with his android phone better the the old ones. You should look into them Ken.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Banned
    Steve, I am attempting to get into the VA center in St. Paul, they never answer the phone. Just calling them is a big run around. Long story, short is I get a VA check every month for hearing loss disability, but the old VA hearing aids were just barely marginal and I began shopping on the economy for better devices. Itm is time to get back to the VA, if I can get in.

Boolit Master
    Pressman, I wear hearing aids and I find if I remove the top part of the loop on the mask, first, there is less likelihood of pulling your hearing aid off. I got my hearing aids from the VA. They will replace them if you lose them, but only once. I lost one of mine. The VA told me to wait two weeks, sometimes they turn up where you least expect them. So I waited. I found the missing hearing aid a week later, in my tool bag.

Here is some help. I just got Mask Extender - Mask Ear Strap Hook for Masks with Adjustable for Nurses, Food-Workers, with High Elastic Fabric tonight. Seems to work just fine. They are adjustable. There are 5 in a pack. Got them from Amazon for $7.99. Yes I wear behind the ear hearing aids. I know the cost of replacement, I lost one years ago and it cost $5.50 to replace it. Good luck.
    Dean

Boolit Master
    The blue tooth enabled ones can be located with your phone.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Grand Master

Sew a button on each side of a ball cap and hook on them. Ive seen ladies use barrets in their hair to hold them on also.

Another would be a rubber band between the loops and wrap around back of head.

Moderator Emeritus

I hate the masks but tolerate my gator. Got this one from Amazon. Lusad Trump 2020 Windproof Sports Mask Suitable for Motorcycle Balaclava Outdoor. Actually not bad wearing one when I have to plus it annoys the snowflakes.

Banned

Pressman: I have your same problem. It's a PITA. I get my hearing aids free at the VA. I think they are excellent quality.

Boolit Master
    My wife sewed buttons on a strip of cloth that goes around the back of my neck to hook the mask to. No more using my ears to hold the mask on . I wear hearing aids and glasses ran out of room for mask straps. Problem solved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast