Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for load data for 45 LC regular and Ruger only.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    I would suggest that the OP acquire a couple of GOOD load manuals. My favorites are Lyman Cast Bullet Manual and even though it is not focused on cast bullets, the Western Powders manual has good info.

The Lyman #1, 2 and 3 all have good information. #1 & 2 may be hard to find.
    Thanks that's good information! I have several manuals but they are more geared to the semi auto I load. The other manuals I bought don't have the weight or powder date I need.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    OK, He wants data for 45LC in Ruger's only that doesn't mean spit ...
    Powder Charge - Bullet Weight - Velocity (fps) - Standard Deviation - Wad - Extreme Deviation Group Size (in)
    40gr FFFg
    250gr
    None
    40gr FFFg
    200gr
    None
    3 ½
    40gr FFg
    250gr
    None
    3 ½
    40gr FFg
    200gr
    None
    35gr FFFg
    250gr
    None
    * 42gr FFg and the Ideal 454190, 255gr bullet - No wad
    Smokeless ... Ideal 454190, 255gr - 6.1gr of ETR7 - No wad
    All in Ruger Vaquero 3.5" or 4 5/8" barrels

or- Pick One ... http://stevespages.com/451_2.html
    Or pick one ...
    Cowboy Revolver 200 gr LRNFP CLAYS STARLINE WIN/REM 5.9**** MAX Velocity 931 MAXIMUM LOAD******
    Cowboy Revolver 200 gr LRNFP HERCO STARLINE WLP/REM 8.0 855 FPS Velocity
    Cowboy Revolver 200 gr LRNFP HERCO STARLINE WLP/REM 9.5 1021 fps Velocity
    Cowboy Revolver 200 gr LRNFP HP-38 STARLINE WIN/REM 8.0**** MAX LOAD velocity 1002 ****MAXIMUM LOAD*****
    Cowboy Revolver 200 gr LRNFP RED DOT STARLINE WLP/REM 6.0 7.0 MAX MAXIMUM LOAD******* (Aliant manual)
    Cowboy Revolver 200 gr LRNFP UNIQUE STARLINE WLP/REM 7.5 9.0 gr MAXIMUM (Aliant Manual)
    Cowboy Revolver 200 gr LRNFP UNIV CLAYS STARLINE WLP/REM 8.8**** 8.8 MAX Velocity 1067 MAXIMUM LOAD*******
    Cowboy Revolver 250 gr LRNFP 2400 STARLINE WLP/REM 15.0
    Cowboy Revolver 250 gr LRNFP RED DOT STARLINE WLP/REM 6.0*** MAXIMUM (Aliant Manual)
    Cowboy Revolver 250 gr LRNFP UNIV CLAYS STARLINE WLP/REM 6.5 7.8 MAX Velocity 941 - MAXIMUM LOAD - go no higher than 7.5
    Cowboy Revolver 255 gr LRNFP CLAYS STARLINE WLP/REM 4.2 5.1 gr MAXIMUM
    Cowboy Revolver 255 gr LRNFP IMR 4227 STARLINE WLP/REM 18.5 Crimp tightly
    Cowboy Revolver 255 gr LRNFP TITEGROUP STARLINE WLP/REM 5.3 6.2 gr MAXIMUM LOAD Velocity 881
    Cowboy Revolver 255 gr LRNFP UNIQUE STARLINE WLP/REM 7.5 8.0 gr MAXIMUM - 7.5 gr MAX (Aliant Manual)
    Cowboy Revolver 260 gr LRNFP HERCO STARLINE WLP/REM 10 850 FPS Velocity
    Well thank you sir! Yet your near 100 gr light on the boolit with that load data. Sure loading that amount in to a almost 300 gr boolits would show a lot of pressure!

I thank you for your help and experience seeing that your a grand boolite master and all I'm honored to have you reply to my post.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by tayous1 View Post
    So all the manuals I have separate SSA or regular loads from Ruger only loads! Are the manuals wrong then?

I have asked this at several other sites and get the response "Is it a Ruger?" "You want Ruger only load data?"

So I don't understand why me asking for regular and Ruger only data is a problem?
    No, the manuals are not wrong separating the two levels of power, one level for an old Colt or Italian clones, and an upper more powerful level for a Ruger, and there are others that will happily shoot the 39kpsi "Ruger Only" loads. Hodgdon separates their data as well, go look on their site for data for Hodgdon powder.

AND, you are CORRECT in asking for both sets of data! When someone asks for 45 Colt data, my first question is "What gun?"

Now, LOL let me confuse things even farther.. There are TWO levels of power for the Rugers! First, the more powerful and generally referred to as "Ruger Only" loads which max out at 30,000psi, are meant for the full sized Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk, Original Vaquero, and the Redhawk. The single action Rugers that are full sized frames have a TWO DIGIT prefix in their serial number. The ratchet star boss on the rear of the cylinder is round.

Since 2005, Ruger has made a medium framed Vaquero, Flattop Blackhawk, these are smaller frames, smaller cylinders and thinner cylinder walls, which are rated to the same as 45 ACP+P pressure of 23,000psi, and are NOT SAFE with the 30,000psi "Ruger Only" loads. These models have a THREE DIGIT prefix in their serial number. The ratchet star boss on the rear of the cylinder is scalloped.

The load data and power level most associated with these medium frame Rugers are known as "Tier 2" and since SAAMI never adopted a +P designation for warmed over loads for the original 45 Colt guns, there is virtually NO published Tier 2 or 45 Colt+P load data, you have to scrounge the gun pages on the internet and get what you can find. Brian Pearce's articles on Tier 2 45 Colt is pretty much accepted as the Gold Standard of load data for these guns.

I might also add that the medium frame Rugers produced with Ruger's latest design changes that put the lawyer warning on the bottom of the barrel to make it less conspicuous are without a doubt the BEST fitted and finshed guns that Ruger has EVER produced.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    No, the manuals are not wrong separating the two levels of power, one level for an old Colt or Italian clones, and an upper more powerful level for a Ruger, and there are others that will happily shoot the 39kpsi "Ruger Only" loads. Hodgdon separates their data as well, go look on their site for data for Hodgdon powder.

AND, you are CORRECT in asking for both sets of data! When someone asks for 45 Colt data, my first question is "What gun?"

Now, LOL let me confuse things even farther.. There are TWO levels of power for the Rugers! First, the more powerful and generally referred to as "Ruger Only" loads which max out at 30,000psi, are meant for the full sized Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk, Original Vaquero, and the Redhawk. The single action Rugers that are full sized frames have a TWO DIGIT prefix in their serial number. The ratchet star boss on the rear of the cylinder is round.

Since 2005, Ruger has made a medium framed Vaquero, Flattop Blackhawk, these are smaller frames, smaller cylinders and thinner cylinder walls, which are rated to the same as 45 ACP+P pressure of 23,000psi, and are NOT SAFE with the 30,000psi "Ruger Only" loads. These models have a THREE DIGIT prefix in their serial number. The ratchet star boss on the rear of the cylinder is scalloped.

The load data and power level most associated with these medium frame Rugers are known as "Tier 2" and since SAAMI never adopted a +P designation for warmed over loads for the original 45 Colt guns, there is virtually NO published Tier 2 or 45 Colt+P load data, you have to scrounge the gun pages on the internet and get what you can find. Brian Pearce's articles on Tier 2 45 Colt is pretty much accepted as the Gold Standard of load data for these guns.

I might also add that the medium frame Rugers produced with Ruger's latest design changes that put the lawyer warning on the bottom of the barrel to make it less conspicuous are without a doubt the BEST fitted and finshed guns that Ruger has EVER produced.
    Wow thank you for that information and history. So how do I know if mine is a tier two? It seems to be a newer weapon but I have bought a 10 year old P226 stainless steel Germany made that still had the packing grease on it.

The heaviest load I have shot out of it is a 18.0-18.5 on top a 296 gr solid I had no problems with the brass it did kick and it did hit hard! When I did a double tap it moved my steel target on a tripod enough that the snow and dirt shower where it was before.

Also have your heard anything about the flame cutting with Lil Gun? Thanks again!

Boolit Master
    The full sized blackhawk has raised bolsters on the frame that the rear sight fits between the 2 digit prefix on the serial # , the smaller framed model does not have the bolsters the sight base is cut into a flat topped frame 3 digit prefix.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    The full sized blackhawk has raised bolsters on the frame that the rear sight fits between the 2 digit prefix on the serial # , the smaller framed model does not have the bolsters the sight base is cut into a flat topped frame 3 digit prefix.
    Does this also go for the Redhawk? That's what I have.

Boolit Master
    Does this also go for the Redhawk? That's what I have.
    Nope the Redhawk 45 colt will take Ruger only loads

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    Nope the Redhawk 45 colt will take Ruger only loads
    Thanks! I'm new to wheel gun reloading. Yet 100% of my reloading has been deducted to 357 and 45LC these days!

It's been 5 years since I had the room to cast and reload as I said I mostly did it for semi auto and my 223 and 308! So straight walls are new to me so is all the load data and manuals that I need to reload!

Thanks for your help!

Vendor Sponsor

Wow thank you for that information and history. So how do I know if mine is a tier two? It seems to be a newer weapon but I have bought a 10 year old P226 stainless steel Germany made that still had the packing grease on it.

The heaviest load I have shot out of it is a 18.0-18.5 on top a 296 gr solid I had no problems with the brass it did kick and it did hit hard! When I did a double tap it moved my steel target on a tripod enough that the snow and dirt shower where it was before.

Also have your heard anything about the flame cutting with Lil Gun? Thanks again!
    Have you not read anything I posted? I have already addressed the LilGun issue in an earlier reply.

I just got finished describing how you can tell the original stronger large frame Rugers from the lesser medium frame guns.

onelight also posted how you can tell the Blackhawks apart.

You have to READ these things you know.

Now 2 pages into this thread we find out you are loading for a Redhawk. Is this the only 45 Colt revolver you are loading for?
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Redhawks are strong. Get yourself a box of these.

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/45rho+ptech.html

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    Redhawks are strong. Get yourself a box of these.

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/45rho+ptech.html
    Nice but not spending $100 for 50 rounds. I know 400gr rounds but $100 for 50 rounds!

Boolit Master
    Nice but not spending $100 for 50 rounds. I know 400gr rounds but $100 for 50 rounds!
    I am with you on that !
    That's why we reload

Boolit Master
    How much for 50 rounds of high quality 45 Auto, or 9MM round now?
    Compare what you get in them with what you get in the Garrett's. If one can afford a big game hunt for trophy bear, or African game the price of Garrett's is miniscule.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    John Boy are those BP loads weight or volume?
    Minerat, all the BP charges are by weight
    Last edited by John Boy; 02-20-2021 at 03:31 PM.
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    To the OP.................( and anybody else out there listening)..............never EVER use load data posted on a forum like this. These are good guys & gals on here, but just do not trust unproven load data from a public forum.

Buy the load manuals! Be safe! I have a shelf full of them and all the downloadable data from the MANY powder makers' websites (all free). LOTS of data out there. I keep it all together in one big 3-ring binder, tabulated by caliber, which is my "loading bible" for all cals/weights/profiles I load and shoot. One of the most valuable books I own.

If you cannot afford a couple of good load data manuals, how are you going to afford this hobby?

Please.............. save your body parts and buy the appropriate published load data manuals and do some research. Then, you can weigh, with knowledge, the data you are given on the several public forums out there. I did, and I now load all the weights you listed above for my 45LC guns/rifles up thru 300gn with absolutely no problem.

Good luck on your quest! And be safe!

bangerjim

Boolit Master
    I like a 310 grain LFN cast bullet seated deep 1.520 inches OAL over a moderate charge of 2400.
    I loaded 8 rounds the the other day and shot them offhand at 25 yards and the 8 shots from the center of the group was Mean (averaged) 1.2122 inches with an Extreme Spread of the sample of 1.4375 and a Standard Deviation of the sample of .43422 inches.
    Of course I will have to load up more to test as It was cold and me being in my elderly years did not want to submit myself to the cold anymore that I needed to.

Boolit Master
    Here's a good read: http://reloadammo.com/45cload.htm

Boolit Grand Master

That SAAMI max for the 45 Colt is 14,000 PSI based on the older Colt 1873 Peacemakers. Those are safe in all 45 Colt platforms. Higher pressure 45 Colt loads are perfectly safe in numerous other platforms but not in the older Colt designs.

Doug covered the Rugers very well.

https://www.johnlinebaughcustomsixguns.com/writings

https://chuckhawks.com/high-pressure45.htm

http://www.sixguns.com/tests/tt45lc.htm

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editoria...ad-data/370003
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-21-2021 at 03:40 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I'll also add
    Handloader Issues
    #246 April 2007 https://www.wolfeoutdoorsports.com/h...46-april-2007/
    #275 December 2011 https://www.wolfeoutdoorsports.com/h...december-2011/

A couple of very good reads on heavy 45 Colt loading and Rugers. I have hard copies from a subscription, I go back and reread them when thinking about what loads I want to try next. Worth it to pay the back issue price IMHO. PDFs are still out there if you look around, I'd share links but I think it's against forums rules.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    That SAAMI max for the 45 Colt is 14,000 PSI based on the older Colt 1873 Peacemakers. Those are safe in all 45 Colt platforms. Higher pressure 45 Colt loads are perfectly safe in numerous other platforms but not in the older Colt designs.

Doug covered the Rugers very well.

https://www.johnlinebaughcustomsixguns.com/writings

https://chuckhawks.com/high-pressure45.htm

http://www.sixguns.com/tests/tt45lc.htm

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editoria...ad-data/370003
    Thanks I'll take a look at them what I skimmed it seems like a lot of good information.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast