WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for load data for 45 LC regular and Ruger only.

Boolit Buddy

Looking for load data for 45 LC regular and Ruger only.

I have been looking around the internet for a few weeks trying to find out load data for 45 LC I know there is a lot out there but most of them are for powder I do not own and don't know when I'll be able to get them. Powder I do own right know is 800x , 700x, 231, Clays and maybe Universal. I also have Lil'Gun but was told to use that sparingly as it might damage my revolver.

The boolits I currently cast is a 296gr, 283gr, 275 gr, 260gr, 255gr and 230gr.

The 296gr is mostly going to be for hog defense so would like some Ruger only load data for that but if you have a good non Ruger only load I'd also like to see that. 283gr and 275gr same like both Ruger only and standard load data.

As for the rest regular load data would be fine as I believe most of my plinking and fun shooting. The only load data I have been given is

10.0 gr of 800x over 300 gr anyone know the FPS I'd likely get from that? Thanks for the advice and help!

Boolit Master
    Have you looked at Hodgdons data, Hornady data, Speer data,
    It is out there.

Vendor Sponsor

Uhh I would be very wary of 10gr 800x under a 300gr boolit. 800x is only slightly slower burn than Unique, and 10gr Unique under a 300gr would all but guarantee you holding a hand grenade.

Hodgdon calls for a MAX of 7.6gr 800x under a 260gr boolit for pressure of 13,600 this would be for smokeless powder Colts, and the Italian clones. I am sure you could work up load data for higher pressure with the same boolit in a Ruger pistol, but I wouldn't go anywhere NEAR the load you stated in your original post.

All of the powders you have listed are pretty fast, so no real heavy for caliber boolits over fast powders. LilGun is NOT going to hurt your 45 Colt RUGER. You may not want to use it in an Italian clone, but it will attain the 30,000psi Ruger Only loads under the 300gr boolit fairly safely. The myth about LilGun eroding forcing cones came from the 454 Casull guys who were pushing it up into the 50,000psi range, which there was some truth to that, but ONLY in guns using it to extreme levels. You won't get anywhere near that with a 45 Colt Ruger even with a max load.

Go to the powder mfgr's website and look into their load data for specific powders, all of them publish load data.

Also, exactly what revolver are you loading for?
    Last edited by DougGuy; 02-19-2021 at 11:59 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    According to Lyman. The 300 gr Saeco bullet is 6.1 grains Unique as 13900 CUP's.
    W231 at 5.6 grains at 14000 CUP's.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Ruger Only has nothing to due for loading data of the 45LC. Care to explain why you made this posted condition?
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Read your title very carefully.

"Looking for load data for 45 LC regular and Ruger only."

Boolit Buddy
    I believe " Accurate Powders " internet site has what you are looking for . Regards Paul

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    OK, He wants data for 45LC in Ruger's only that doesn't mean spit ...
    Powder Charge - Bullet Weight - Velocity (fps) - Standard Deviation - Wad - Extreme Deviation Group Size (in)
    40gr FFFg
    250gr
    None
    40gr FFFg
    200gr
    None
    3 ½
    40gr FFg
    250gr
    None
    3 ½
    40gr FFg
    200gr
    None
    35gr FFFg
    250gr
    None
    * 42gr FFg and the Ideal 454190, 255gr bullet - No wad
    Smokeless ... Ideal 454190, 255gr - 6.1gr of ETR7 - No wad
    All in Ruger Vaquero 3.5" or 4 5/8" barrels

or- Pick One ... http://stevespages.com/451_2.html
    Or pick one ...
    Cowboy Revolver 200 gr LRNFP CLAYS STARLINE WIN/REM 5.9**** MAX Velocity 931 MAXIMUM LOAD******
    Cowboy Revolver 200 gr LRNFP HERCO STARLINE WLP/REM 8.0 855 FPS Velocity
    Cowboy Revolver 200 gr LRNFP HERCO STARLINE WLP/REM 9.5 1021 fps Velocity
    Cowboy Revolver 200 gr LRNFP HP-38 STARLINE WIN/REM 8.0**** MAX LOAD velocity 1002 ****MAXIMUM LOAD*****
    Cowboy Revolver 200 gr LRNFP RED DOT STARLINE WLP/REM 6.0 7.0 MAX MAXIMUM LOAD******* (Aliant manual)
    Cowboy Revolver 200 gr LRNFP UNIQUE STARLINE WLP/REM 7.5 9.0 gr MAXIMUM (Aliant Manual)
    Cowboy Revolver 200 gr LRNFP UNIV CLAYS STARLINE WLP/REM 8.8**** 8.8 MAX Velocity 1067 MAXIMUM LOAD*******
    Cowboy Revolver 250 gr LRNFP 2400 STARLINE WLP/REM 15.0
    Cowboy Revolver 250 gr LRNFP RED DOT STARLINE WLP/REM 6.0*** MAXIMUM (Aliant Manual)
    Cowboy Revolver 250 gr LRNFP UNIV CLAYS STARLINE WLP/REM 6.5 7.8 MAX Velocity 941 - MAXIMUM LOAD - go no higher than 7.5
    Cowboy Revolver 255 gr LRNFP CLAYS STARLINE WLP/REM 4.2 5.1 gr MAXIMUM
    Cowboy Revolver 255 gr LRNFP IMR 4227 STARLINE WLP/REM 18.5 Crimp tightly
    Cowboy Revolver 255 gr LRNFP TITEGROUP STARLINE WLP/REM 5.3 6.2 gr MAXIMUM LOAD Velocity 881
    Cowboy Revolver 255 gr LRNFP UNIQUE STARLINE WLP/REM 7.5 8.0 gr MAXIMUM - 7.5 gr MAX (Aliant Manual)
    Cowboy Revolver 260 gr LRNFP HERCO STARLINE WLP/REM 10 850 FPS Velocity
    Last edited by John Boy; 02-19-2021 at 01:06 PM.
    Regards
    John

Vendor Sponsor

Great. So John Boy is miffed about folks posting Ruger Only data, so he posts BP data that the OP didn't ask for, then floods the post with data for a 200gr boolit that the OP doesn't list in the boolits he asked for data for. I would kindly suggest you bow out of this thread sir, rather than post conflicting and totally irrelevant information.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 02-19-2021 at 08:58 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    There is no need for anyone to get upset. There is PLENTY of data out there that is reliable if the OP will just look.
    It is a lot different than when I started reloading/handloading. One had to dig deep to find data and get information. Now it is just a few clicks away.
    So much easier now. Most bullet companies have data on their sites.

Let's go easy here. More data is always good data, and if not right now, maybe later. No need to get huffy.

DG

Boolit Master

I would suggest that the OP acquire a couple of GOOD load manuals. My favorites are Lyman Cast Bullet Manual and even though it is not focused on cast bullets, the Western Powders manual has good info.

The Lyman #1, 2 and 3 all have good information. #1 & 2 may be hard to find.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

Not to be rude. But why do some folks refuse to use loading books? I have a library at my finger tips.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    Not to be rude. But why do some folks refuse to use loading books? I have a library at my finger tips.
    Your reply was definitely not rude. John Boy came close as pointed out by DougGuy. I would never try to post loads on line. They never reproduce in a readable format. It is always messed up.

As BigAl pointed out, several load manuals are always beneficial. I even look up loads in the "one and only" RCBS Cast Bullet Manual.
    John
    W.TN

John Boy are those BP loads weight or volume?
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    When one is on a strict budget I understand not wanting to buy reloading manuals but it is best to do so. One can cross reference them, read the text on the cartridge before looking at the data and can learn alot by reading the manual.
    But it is cheaper and easier to come on a website and ask about data.
    I still do most of the leg work on my reloading/handloading. I have learned to be careful and to know nothing is concrete fact no matter where it comes from, ballistic lab or from any individual. Slowly, carefully and studying is the way to go.
    Also Occams Razor is very valuable.

Boolit Master

The Lyman 3rd cast is one of my faves. It has data the 4th does not. You can get reprints of old books here. https://www.cornellpubs.com/index.php

I ordered a Lymans 3rd because mine is falling apart. Lymans 50th and lee's latest is good too. I like Hornadys because they break down FPS For varied powder weights. Speers has some of the newest powders like Aliant's sport pistol.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    Poking around at your other postings, it looks like this is for a Ruger Redhawk and the heavies are from your MP .452-275 mold.

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/45-...-multi-choice/.

There is data out there, but it may not be for your specific desired bullets. If you are worried about using this data, I will walk you through what I would do.

First I went out and I found that of your powders Lil gun seems to be the best bet for good velocity for Ruger Only loads. Then I found what looks to be good data for Ruger only loads and Lil gun at the link below. I really try to use load data with pressure test results when ever possible.

https://www.rugerforum.net/threads/4...-lilgun.75519/

Using cast where the only comparable loads are listed with a jacketed bullet should be OK, but only when you deal with any potential change in seating depth. For high pressure loads like your desired Ruger only loads, bullet seating depth really matters.

For all of your 275 to 296 gr bullets you should probably use the 300 gr Speer load for reference. Quickload says that the Speer 300 gr bullet is 0.732" long (0.348" seating depth at Hodgdon's 1.650 OAL). If your bullet is longer, add the difference to the 1.650" for your "Min OAL". If you can not load this long, you should reduce your charge. I used Quickload to estimate that dropping 0.5 gr would compensate for a 0.030" shorter AOL on the Speer 300 load.

For your 260 gr and less bullets you can probably use the 260 gr Nosler load for reference. Quickload says that the Nosler bullet is 0.797" long (0.413" seating depth at Hodgdon's 1.650" OAL). For this bullet, I used Quickload to estimate that dropping 0.5 grs would compensate for a 0.025" reduction in OAL.

For regular 45 Colt loads, your gun has lots of margin, so there is negligible worry over seating depth. Just use the 300 gr load for reference with your heavies and the 260 gr load for reference for your lighter bullets. Based on my experience with lighter loads in 44 mag and 45 Colt, I would recommend you try out one of your lighter bullets and the 700x load. Hodgdon data for a 7.25" barrel includes:

7.3 gr Universal under a 300 gr for 700 fps

5.2 gr 700x under a 260 gr for 714 fps
    7.1 gr 231 under a 260 gr for 787 fps
    8.0 gr Universal under a 260 gr for 813 fps
    7.6 gr 800x under a 260 gr for 803 fps

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    Read your title very carefully.

"Looking for load data for 45 LC regular and Ruger only."
    So all the manuals I have separate SSA or regular loads from Ruger only loads! Are the manuals wrong then?

I have asked this at several other sites and get the response "Is it a Ruger?" "You want Ruger only load data?"

So I don't understand why me asking for regular and Ruger only data is a problem?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    No not rude at all! I have a few reloading manuals and spent around $100 on ones just for this 45 LC and none of them give me the information I need be it powder or boolit weight!

I have posted on here about good manuals and did get one or two response. I can't afford as much as I'd like to have a library of books of reloading that do not tell me the information I need. That's why I ask here!

I mostly cast and reloaded for 40,45 and 9mm this is my first time with something I could even use black powder with. The manuals I have do have load data for the 45LC but the powder or the weight are not right.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast