Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Shooting Benches

A.K.A. Bullshop Jr. SierraHunter's Avatar

Shooting Benches

For quite some time now, I have wanted to build a shooting bench that is built onto a small trailer with jacks in each corner so a fellow could take it out into the field, level it and have a stable shooting platform for shooting at a prairie dog town, or even just long range shooting at a gravel pit or whatever.

Today I decided to start looking at this concept again one place I found online sells such a trailer for about $12,000 (yes, TWELVE thousand) and it motivated me to try building a prototype and see how it goes.

Ideally, the trailer would be a single axle with a solid diamond plate floor that sits fairly close to the ground. I would want full size tires on it though for ease of taking off road. The bench, instead of being a traditional T shape bench, I want to go with a U shaped bench, because it gives more bench area in front of the shooter for ammo, dope cards, note books, chronograph, whatever. Ideally, the bench would also rotate 360 degrees on the trailer, using manual power or perhaps a small 12 volt winch off of a ATV or the likes. Also, I would want to build it with a removable roof to help protect the shooter from weather. Set up with a roof, the trailer could also be used as a ground blind for big game hunting as well. A locking tool box would be added for storing rifle rest and stuff, and perhaps a perch with a place to mount a spotting scope for a spotter of shooting long range.

Moderator Emeritus

Might try looking at covered trailers from places like Costco or Sam's club, home depot, etc. to get some ideas and maybe a deal. I got a lil 8' trailer from Sam's probably close to 20 years ago and it owes me nothing and has been great. Think I paid about $300 or less for it. Good luck.
    Ron

A few years ago I got a pipe vise that I wanted to use as some type of shooting rest, possibly on a trailer. It still sits but the thought is still there.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Grand Master

Theres a lot of portable canopies ( Like they use for parties and get together s} or maybe a portable car port from Harbor Freight, that set up pretty quick and easily. put sockets and tie down rings in each corner of the trailer for it. As to the trailer screw jacks or scissor jacks, 3 would be good. would level and make a solid platform. Last thing you might consider is a set of portable steps or a ramp to get up and in.

Boolit Buddy
    I've done this twice once on a trailer and once for a large movable bench in the yard.The problem is with the play in the jacks it gets wobbly up on the jacks.Maybe the camper jacks like on a popup would work.I use the square sign posts and sleeves welded on the trailer corners.Just used solid tires on the one in the yard block the tires.

Boolit Master
    You might could get away with 2 jacks in the back and a strong trailer Jack in the front with the trailer set where the rear is higher than the front , lower and block the the rear and crank up the front .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    You might could get away with 2 jacks in the back and a strong trailer Jack in the front with the trailer set where the rear is higher than the front, lower and block the the rear and crank up the front .
    THAT is the answer for quickly/easily leveling-supporting a utility OR a camper trailer.

A.K.A. Bullshop Jr. SierraHunter's Avatar
    Yeah, when we lived in a a camper I learned a lot about stability and jacks. Jacks that come down at a angle instead of straight down are incredibly more sturdy.