Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lyman 450 run naked ?

Boolit Mold

Lyman 450 run naked ?

Was thinking of using my Lyman 450 just to do gas checks and size for PCing , is it possible to run this lube sizer without lube in it ?

Thanks for any input , Keith

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, but I was surprised how much force was needed for 30 cal rifle bullets. I feel it would damage the linkage in the long term. I was using #2 alloy. I tried it with a .515” boolit through a .512” die. It was a no go. Had to remove the die and knock the struck boolit out.

Boolit Master

Lube every third or fourth boolit, with you fingers. What ever you use for resizing brass. I use imperial sizing lube, little bit goes a long way. I never wipe it of the boolit after sizing. Play around with it, you may find after a couple of lubed boolit, your good. YMMV

Boolit Master

Welcome to Castboolits, Keith. The PC is pretty slippery. It might not take too much effort. I size PC with my Star without adding lube of any kind. Never tried it with my 450. Give it a try and see how much effort it takes. If it’s too much, lube ‘em.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Found the Lyman GC seater on their lube/sizer presses to be a pure PITA.
    Lee sizer and a GC, one stroke = done, quickly
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

Shouldn't be any problem so long as you're not trying to size down more than .003-.004. If you feel that it's taking too much force on the handle, try lubing a boolit every now and then as previously suggested. 'Bag Balm' is a good lube for this as is electrician's wire-pulling lube. I sized a whole bunch of PC'd boolits on my 450s before I got my NOE set-up.

Never had any issues using Lyman's adapter for seating checks (without sizing drive bands) before applying PC. While it seems to add an extra step to process, it eliminates sizing before and after PC.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Mold
    The 450 is what I have on hand to size .224 , been looking for a Lee push thru but no luck finding one . LOL

Boolit Grand Master

"Bag Balm" is an old cow's udder treatment for those who milk cows. It has seen many other uses, but this was the designed use.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Mold
    The 450 worked out OK for just putting on the GC's , found a Lee sizer in .225 and used some lanolin on my fingers to finish sizing the boolits after PC .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Haveman View Post
    Was thinking of using my Lyman 450 just to do gas checks and size for PCing , is it possible to run this lube sizer without lube in it ?

Thanks for any input , Keith
    Yes do it all the time and I don"t lube /Ed
    Last edited by Edward; 02-26-2021 at 09:35 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Whole Bunches View Post
    Yes, but I was surprised how much force was needed for 30 cal rifle bullets. I feel it would damage the linkage in the long term. I was using #2 alloy. I tried it with a .515” boolit through a .512” die. It was a no go. Had to remove the die and knock the struck boolit out.
    Get a mold closer to what you need ,That is the problem ,#2 is to much for what your sizing /been there and broke that /or multible dies to do in stages but you will fill , distort grooves/nose (get the proper mold or soften your BHN!/Ed