RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Outboard Motor

Boolit Master
    ok
    "the next generation of propulsion" why don't they tell us what they think that is?
    don't get me wrong BRP does not make bad decisions. what they do make they make real well from subways and other rail transport to jet airplanes and other aircraft and one of the best 2 strokes ever mass produced.
    but what is new propulsion for small boats?

Boolit Bub
    The way things are going?
    Hemp sails and oars made renewable or recycled resources.

Boolit Master
    that's what I was going to say. the days of sails are returning
    but BRP does not screw around if they have something new I seriously doubt they will release it till it is tested and perfected, if you look into what kind of business they are they don't just build engines, they are a global transportation power house.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    I'd rather carry a battery or can of gas than deal with 150 feet of extension cord.
    Years ago I got us a well used but sound camper trailer that my wife could be comfortable to watch TV, do her knitting and be warm doing it.

I got a small Honda 1KW AC generator with a 12 V DC output for my deep woods "semi-rough it" camp. I made up a 200 ft boat battery charger cord of rubber coated 12/2 wire that reaches to the lakeside and needed a simple load mule.

Got the cheapest hand truck from Harbor Freight and bolted a couple of metal cross pieces on the back to wrap the cord around. Added a plastic milk crate (or something similar) on the front foot to haul tackle and/or bait and/or lunch box. Use bungee cord to lash fishing rods and a paddle or duck gun to one side, or both. It was easy to do and works good for me.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckiller View Post
    Evinrudes are all 2 stroke. Always have been.
    Not true I have a 9.9 4stroke kicker on my boat

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by blackthorn View Post
    I will soon be in the market for a small (5 to9 HP) outboard to use as a trolling motor on my 12 foot aluminum boat. I am looking for a 4 cycle model. Any suggestions will be thankfully received. Thanks.
    Recently upgraded my 9.9 Evinrude 4 stroke for a Mercury 9.9 pro kicker 4 stroke, power trim and tilt, electric start. Pricey but highly recommended.

Banned

That is sad. I have not seen that. I know brp bought omc just for the original ficht DI. They shut down the production to fix all the junk they were putting out.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    that's what I was going to say. the days of sails are returning
    but BRP does not screw around if they have something new I seriously doubt they will release it till it is tested and perfected, if you look into what kind of business they are they don't just build engines, they are a global transportation power house.
    they sure are the inovators of today. If new two stroke tech comes out it will be from them. there allways a year or two ahead in the snowmobile market with technology. I once heard they were researching lightweight clean burning high hp 2 stokes for automobiles.

Did the OP ever consider electric motor with Solar charging? Nothing to haul. Well setup in spring and take down in fall.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    GhostHawk---That might be an option except the cabin/property sits idle with no one there (or even close by) for extended periods of time. This dictates that belongings must be put away so good suggestion but wont work for me. Lots of information for me to consider although I am at a loss to see how to overcome the logistics of trolling with a snow mobile. LOL
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master

Duckkiller,
    You have a picture of the coffee can lid modification?
    Thanks
    Mike
    Last edited by skeettx; 02-24-2021 at 01:59 PM.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Banned

GhostHawk---That might be an option except the cabin/property sits idle with no one there (or even close by) for extended periods of time. This dictates that belongings must be put away so good suggestion but wont work for me. Lots of information for me to consider although I am at a loss to see how to overcome the logistics of trolling with a snow mobile. LOL
    not trolling by a long shot but ive crossed distance of at least an 1/8 of a mile on water with a snowmobile. Ive even seen figure 8 races on water with them. so i guess if your fishing FAST fish it could be done

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    not trolling by a long shot but ive crossed distance of at least an 1/8 of a mile on water with a snowmobile. Ive even seen figure 8 races on water with them. so i guess if your fishing FAST fish it could be done
    Think I'll leave that for you young bucks! LOL
    R.D.M.

Banned

Think I'll leave that for you young bucks! LOL
    that was in my younger days. My mind still screams speed but my body fights it all the way.

Boolit Buddy
    The lake I will use this on is at +54,000 ft., only about two and a half miles long by seven or eight hundred yards wide. It does however often have some pretty strong winds and if we have to come back to the cabin against the wind, a too small motor is not good. As far as electric, I considered that but the cabin is situated on a flat spot cut (by hand originally) into about a 50% grade and about 50 yards up from the lake shore. I am 82 and my fishing partner is 87 so packing the battery for an electric motor up that bank every day to the gen-set is not appealing. Even worse would be taking the gen set down to the shore. While I am in the process of deciding what to buy, the 5 to 9 HP was/is just a point to consider. I would rather have a bit too much power than too little. I appreciate all the comments and advice, so please don’t stop now. Have a great day.
    12 ft Alu Boat, 2 Persons onboard, going home possible against strong Winds. Minimum 6 Hp Motor which is already on the heavy side for an older Guy to carry uphill.

I am and have been an Outfitter for 45+ years in BC. Own lots of 6, 10, 15, 40 Hp outboard Motors plus Riverboats.

Privately, I own a 2 HP Yamaha for my Dinghy to reach my Sailboat moored off Oak Bay. Cant believe how light and reliable this thing is but it definitely wont have enough Power to push a 12 Ft Alu Boat with 2 People against a good headwind. You would be betting with your Life, don't do it.

Cheers

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard96 View Post
    12 ft Alu Boat, 2 Persons onboard, going home possible against strong Winds. Minimum 6 Hp Motor which is already on the heavy side for an older Guy to carry uphill.

I am and have been an Outfitter for 45+ years in BC. Own lots of 6, 10, 15, 40 Hp outboard Motors plus Riverboats.

Privately, I own a 2 HP Yamaha for my Dinghy to reach my Sailboat moored off Oak Bay. Cant believe how light and reliable this thing is but it definitely wont have enough Power to push a 12 Ft Alu Boat with 2 People against a good headwind. You would be betting with your Life, don't do it.

Cheers
    Ive purchased a number of boats and motors in my life. Was in the coast guard for 4 years as a machinery technician and worked on boat motors. My golden rule of thumb is to look at the max hp for any boat under 20 feet and buy that size motor. Ive NEVER seen where having more power was a bad thing and even fuel economy in some cases is better with a bigger motor loafing along at 20 mph then a small one wrung out to get that 20mph. I dont know how many people i know that have bought a boat and found out later they wanted more power. Never heard of a single soul who bought bigger and traded it in for less.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    Ive purchased a number of boats and motors in my life. Was in the coast guard for 4 years as a machinery technician and worked on boat motors. My golden rule of thumb is to look at the max hp for any boat under 20 feet and buy that size motor. Ive NEVER seen where having more power was a bad thing and even fuel economy in some cases is better with a bigger motor loafing along at 20 mph then a small one wrung out to get that 20mph. I dont know how many people i know that have bought a boat and found out later they wanted more power. Never heard of a single soul who bought bigger and traded it in for less.
    My Alumacraft T14 was 20hp rated so we tested it with one... SCARY doesn't begin to describe it! Dad was alongside in his boat with a 35hp and I was pulling ahead easily and he was doing 35mph. He said once I was on plane just the motor and the back 6 inches of the hull were in the water. Steering was VERY abrupt and a twitch could have sent me tumbling. The 10hp would plane it out with 2 people, with just me it would plane with the back 2' of the hull in the water. And yes I had it trimmed to run flat! No way would I run a 20 on that boat unless I was always carrying a passenger or a lot of cargo like our trips upriver to camp. Solo with just fishing gear the 10hp got it to 25mph in a hurry.

Boolit Grand Master

Mary, I had a nearly identical boat. It was a 14' Alumacraft, I think a 1960. Bare bones, 3 bench seats, rated for some oddball number, I think 16 HP. I ended up putting a 1972 Evinrude 18 HP on it. I would not say it was scary at all. Easy to control, not too much power at all, and not lacking. I don't think I ever clocked it, but It must have done 20-25 MPH. If yours was doing 35+ MPH, it must have been revving to the moon. I fished in that boat for 2-3 years, and only moved on because it always had a slow leak that I couldn't find. My dad has had a 14' Lund forever with an Evinrude 25HP. That combo was the Minnesota Gold standard for decades until people started getting huge boats. My guess is if a 10HP got you on a plane quick with two people, the both of you are rather light. Two of me at 300 pounds are not going anywhere quick in such a boat.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    No way. You definitely don't have much experience with your rig.

My 6hp does 6-7 MPH and did not plane with a 12', and will not plane with my super light 14' either, and that is with only me in it. A 10hp can plane with only me in it, gas tank moved forward, and only a tackle box and a few rods in the front. It tops out at 15 MPH, and that is on a glass smooth day. Any wind at all, or a second person in the boat, and it probably will not plane. 15 HP is the bare minimum if you want to plane under most conditions, without having to fiddle with it. When I was younger and lighter, my brother and I could get a 12' with a 9.5 HP evinrude to plane if we both lunged forward at the same time, get up and a plane, and then it would keep going. Not a chance at all an adult can get a 3hp anything to plane, and there is even less chance it is propped to go any faster anyway.

With an 80 pound little kid, I could MAYBE believe your little 3HP weed wacker could plane a boat. No way it does 20 MPH, and I doubt it does over 10 MPH. My 16' with 40 HP engine, on a calm day, running flat out 5500 RPM does 29 MPH.

I run electric motors for duck hunting sloughs that are too shallow for an outboard, and a mud motor would not work well on my boat. I currently run a 55 lb thrust motor on that. It does well, and scoots along well enough for the purpose. I would not bring it out on big water. A 15+ MPH headwind, and you would be in deep doo-doo with the electric motor. I'm considering going to a 24V system, so I can run a 80 pound thrust motor. There is nothing scarier than watching a bad storm approaching, and having no power at your disposal.

Now there is nothing wrong with having an electric for super slow trolling. A 6hp evinrude will troll as long as you want 1.5-2 MPH forward, and slower backtrolling.
    Really! You will have to tell that to the people on the lake a mile down the road from me when they tell me to slow down in my 10 footer with that little 3-hp 2 stroke Yamaha gets me up on a plane. The speed limit there on the lake is 10 mph. The little internal gas tank only lasts about 3 miles when I get up on a plane though. When I first got it years ago, it scared me the first time it got up because I had no idea. A Coast Guard patrol boat (an RHIB) on Puget Sound came up to me once to ask about that angry hornet on my stern (they confirmed my safety gear). Any breeze will drop me off the plane though not to mention big boat wakes like tug boats.

Boolit Master
    Skeettx no photos. Was on a trip to northern Ontario in the early 60s. I was the youngest by about 40 years. I got to carry an aluminum boat on my back. I was maybe 20 years old then, am 78 now. Motors were single cylinder Evenrudes. Bolt that held the prop on may have been replaced with a longer bolt. Punched a hole in the center (exact center) of a large coffee can lid. Lid was placed over extended bolt and held on with a wing nut. The boat I carried was for my oldest uncle(65+) and a friend of similar age. Younger people (WW2 vets) and me were in Gruman canoes. The can lids really slowed down the canoes. The boat was rowed. We were fishing for Brook Trout just before they spawned. The best canoe caught two fish one afternoon. The boat caught 5-7 that same afternoon right in front of camp. While you are probably not interested in my fishing story I do hope I have described how we slowed down the motors for a very slow troll. If you have question write. Am going to So Cal on Saturday and will be back on March 21. If no questions enjoy your slow trolling.
    Last edited by Duckiller; 03-05-2021 at 02:22 AM. Reason: add facts

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast