MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Outboard Motor

Banned

Look up " outboard making oil " it is a very common problem with 4 strokes. Especially if you break them in how they want you to. The rings never seat. That is why this happens. You have to break them in like you stole it and Don't care. Wide open from the first start.

My powered was replaced 2x because I listened to them. The last one it was broken in by wide open from the start. Did not make oil that time. The first 2 years the dealer had it 1.5 years in total. After that it has not been back since.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    When did they start doing that?
    when i looked up all of them it said nothing about yamaha being made by anyone but yamaha. It was the only major manufacture that did say tahatsu made there small units.

Banned

Used to be a rule of thumb for tiller outboard aluminum boats is if you wanted them to get up on plane with an adult you took the boats lenght and subtracted 2. So that would make a 10hp for a 12 and a 12 hp for 14 ect. Most recomended the same hp as footage. Back then you actually got better fuel economy with a 15hp on a 14 foot boat then a smaller motor becuase it wasnt wide open all the time. Now todays motors might be better but i have to agree that a 6hp isnt getting a 200lb man up on plane in a 12 foot boat.

Banned

ok i just got off the phone with someone i respect. Hes a retired coast guard senior chief machinery tech that lives in TN that spent over 10 years working on the boats and as a team leader for coast guards special forces msst and msrt units (which by the way used mercs at least until he retired 12 years ago. He said this. If you remember the mariner mercs those were the first tohatsu. Those were mariner banded tahatsu motors. He said the motors tahatsu makes for merc are not the same they sell for less with there brand on them. He said mercs are made to merc specs so if you look at the old stripper mariners compared to the mercs of the day its the same now between the tahatsu motors and mercs. They are much more stripped down entry level motor with lower technology. He said the same comparison could be made between the old force motors and the other omc's of the day. I asked him what hed buy. He said merc for only one reason over a yamaha. He said the yamahas are just as good but parts and service will cost you a good 25 percent more then work on the merc and he also said yamahas service manuals are pour. I cant say the exact words he used but he said they were obviously wrote to scare you into putting it down and going to the dealer. He said the new motors are all much better then they were even 10 year ago and you wont go wrong with a merc yamaha evenrude or a johnson. He said the best bet is to look at the quality of your dealer and service dept and dont worry that much about what brand is on it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Look up " outboard making oil " it is a very common problem with 4 strokes. Especially if you break them in how they want you to. The rings never seat. That is why this happens. You have to break them in like you stole it and Don't care. Wide open from the first start.

My powered was replaced 2x because I listened to them. The last one it was broken in by wide open from the start. Did not make oil that time. The first 2 years the dealer had it 1.5 years in total. After that it has not been back since.
    Ok, I was able to fine a few good sources from mechanics who describe the problem. I would not describe it is very common. The one mechanic said he saw it once or twice a year. Assuming that is his full time job, that isn't too often. Anyway, it comes down to one, as you say, rings never seated, and two water never evaporating from the oil.

I think it safe to say that it is important that if you buy a new engine, it needs to be broken in, and two, you need to run them full throttle at least once a trip to get the oil hot enough. That should be good advice for two or four stroke engines.

Boolit Master
    your coast guard friend give good advice. I've been out of the game quite a while. and can't imagine running a 40hp 70 hours on 10 gallons of gas. I used to run a bored out 40 hp Johnson every weekend fishing for many years it was my weekend day off ritual. just circling pine island out to flats off burnt store marina a run out to north Captiva to fish the pilings of the stilt houses and maybe trolling the pass depending on season and tide, maybe 50 to 60 miles total to fill the cooler with fish, would burn a full 10 gallons plus maybe into the spare 6 gallon tank each trip.
    as far as breaking motors in I know more about 2 stroke than anything else. I bored the blocks myself and for the most part used wiseco forged pistons.
    when first starting up new or newly rebuilt motor I ran them at fast idle with double oil for at least an hour. I made myself a great reputation by doing quality work and most of my rebuilds would get twice as many hours than a new motor from factory. that's how I built a successful business

Boolit Grand Master

Those E-Tec's Are crazy. I had a nearly identical boat, but with a 1984 Johnson 40HP, and like you said, you had to keep extra gas with you. I doubt that boat ever got more than 2-3 MPG, and it was none to good trolling. No hour meter on that engine, but you could just about see it sucking down the gas. Now, I guarantee that my newer 2009 40 HP E-Tec would burn more gas if I were making long runs on Leech lake, but with our local little puddles, I spend 98% of my time at idle, trolling around. I could be wrong on the gas, but I don't think I am that far off. I filled my 10 gallon tank full in the spring, and only filled it again in late July when it was down to about 1/3rd tank. I ran it through September before storing it, and it is around a 1/2 tank now. So 10-15 gallons, I did not measure it. Either way, it is insane how little gas it uses. I also have my oiling set to the XP100 setting, and I am not kidding, it used about 1/2 a quart the entire season. Compare that to my 1984 Johnson, which could easily burn 30-40 gallons of gas in a season, mixed 50:1, is almost 3 quarts of oil.

Boolit Grand Master

I run a 2006 8 hp 4 stroke Yamaha remote for kicker and 200 HP Etec Evinrude 07 two stroke main. The Yamaha will push 20 foot Alumacraft at 4.8 MPH at full throttle and idle along all day -1 to 1.5 mph for trolling. I have no idea how much gas the kicker burns but it would take a very long time to empty the 26 gallon tank, actually they both SIP fuel compared to my older chevy powered boat. The Yamaha kicker is SO quiet you would not know it was running except for vibrations. Everyone I know that runs a Yamaha kicker motor has nothing but praise. I have no complaints on the BRP Evinrude ( hey my first snow mobile was a 1969 SkiDoo 669 TNT)the computer has been reprogrammed for XD100 oil, so no cheap 2 stroke WalMart oil, I get Evinrude oil locally for $50 a gallon and use 3 gallons per season.
    Charter Member #148

Banned

The Mariner motors were Yamaha. Not tahatsu. There only a couple of motors they did this for. They were usually the commercial motors. They were the bare bones motors meant for hard use and no frills.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    The Mariner motors were Yamaha. Not tahatsu. There only a couple of motors they did this for. They were usually the commercial motors. They were the bare bones motors meant for hard use and no frills.
    yes they were. stipped down bare bones yamahas.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    I run a 2006 8 hp 4 stroke Yamaha remote for kicker and 200 HP Etec Evinrude 07 two stroke main. The Yamaha will push 20 foot Alumacraft at 4.8 MPH at full throttle and idle along all day -1 to 1.5 mph for trolling. I have no idea how much gas the kicker burns but it would take a very long time to empty the 26 gallon tank, actually they both SIP fuel compared to my older chevy powered boat. The Yamaha kicker is SO quiet you would not know it was running except for vibrations. Everyone I know that runs a Yamaha kicker motor has nothing but praise. I have no complaints on the BRP Evinrude ( hey my first snow mobile was a 1969 SkiDoo 669 TNT)the computer has been reprogrammed for XD100 oil, so no cheap 2 stroke WalMart oil, I get Evinrude oil locally for $50 a gallon and use 3 gallons per season.
    my first snowmobile was a brand new 69 292 tnt. I remember when dad and i picked it up. They had one just like yours on in the showroom. Only reason it didnt go home with dad was it had a 18 inch track instead of the 15 most performance sled had then (and now).

Banned

my first snowmobile was a brand new 69 292 tnt. I remember when dad and i picked it up. They had one just like yours on in the showroom. Only reason it didnt go home with dad was it had a 18 inch track instead of the 15 most performance sled had then (and now). Dad already had a 399 tnt until the artic cat exts hit the market and he went cat and drove them till he quit riding in the early 2000s. that old 292 saw alot of abuse and id bet about every part on it was replaced at one time or another. When i went in the service it had 5500 miles on it and that was about unheard of back then. Motor was rerung 3 times. I still laugh at its last ride. I was home on leave for christmas and it hadnt been run for a year so i fired it up and took off down the trail. Got about a mile from home and the track split right in half and spit out the back. Walked home and dad and i took his and ma's sled out to it and put a sign on it that said FREE. It was gone the next day. but as to bombardiers products today ill say this. there snowmobile motors are what everyone compares the others too. State of the art. Then look at power gliders and home made ultra lite airplanes. About all of then use bombardier motors. Theres probably no company that makes more 2 stroke motors then they do. Or for that matter small 4 strokes.

Boolit Grand Master

Lloyd I blew a few belts and spit the drive clips out of the track too. It was not brand new the dealership's mechanic raced it, had Y manifold with twin Tilitson HD carbs w\ velocity stacks, and exspansion chambers, I sold it in 71 or 72. When it comes to 2 cycle BRP has decades of experience, they know what they are doing.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    don't overlook Suzuki for a very reliable outboard.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Bub
    Evinrude no longer manufactures outboard motors, Mercury has discontinued the Optimax and Yamaha stopped making hpdi's around 2009.
    So no more 2 strokes in the us, I hear mercury has enough epa credits that they may bring in a few 2 strokes to burn them up

Banned

Lloyd I blew a few belts and spit the drive clips out of the track too. It was not brand new the dealership's mechanic raced it, had Y manifold with twin Tilitson HD carbs w\ velocity stacks, and exspansion chambers, I sold it in 71 or 72. When it comes to 2 cycle BRP has decades of experience, they know what they are doing.
    Man i remember tiliston HRs and HD's. Could rebuild one in about 15 minutes and you needed to at least once a year because that diaphragm that acted as your fuel pump would go bad. . I remember when if you didnt have a velocity tube (we called them ram tubes) on your sled you werent cool. First expansion chamber i build myself in metal shop in high school. Dont think i had it quite right because i lost two mph but left it on anyway because i SOUNDED COOL. Dad threatened to put it where the sun dont shine a few times. He worked shift work and i tended to keep him awake with loud snowmobiles, motorcross bikes and cars. Those old two strokes are like comparing a model a to a new ferrari when compared to the direct injected motors today. Days are gone when you took a die grinder to your jug and ported it yourself. Even back then polaris started using makuni carbs and they made tilistons obsolete over night.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by poorman View Post
    Evinrude no longer manufactures outboard motors, Mercury has discontinued the Optimax and Yamaha stopped making hpdi's around 2009.
    So no more 2 strokes in the us, I hear mercury has enough epa credits that they may bring in a few 2 strokes to burn them up
    Wrong. Johnson line was discontinued not evenrude. The 2 strokes are the etec models and are still being made. Mercury has no carbon credits. They were buying them from Honda for a few years but if anyone has any it is Honda or Suzuki. They were 4 strokes long before everyone else.

2 strokes are still being made for much of the world besides north America. If you know anyone in Mexico you can get whatever you want. You just have to get it over the boarder.

Boolit Bub
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evinrude_Outboard_Motors
    On May 27, 2020, BRP announced that they would be retiring the Evinrude brand and would exit the outboard boat motor market.[4]
    https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...in/5282350002/
    BRP, the Canadian manufacturer of Evinrude outboard engines, says it’s eliminating 387 jobs at its factory in Sturtevant as the company steps away from the Evinrude brand
    https://www.heraldtribune.com/story/...red/112582702/
    The end of a boating era? Evinrude outboard motors will no longer be manufactured

Boolit Buddy

Or just go straight to the horses mouth. https://www.evinrude.com/

"OUR EVINRUDE CUSTOMERS
    We are proud to have supplied you with outboard engines over the past 110 years. For business reasons, we have made the difficult and thoughtful decision to discontinue manufacturing of our outboard engines to focus on the next generation of propulsion.

We know you probably have questions about how this decision will impact where to go for services, parts availability and whether your current warranty coverage or service contract are affected. Rest assured, our teams and dealer network will continue to be there to support you."

Boolit Bub
    Our sales rep told us they were thinking of selling some 2 strokes in the states because their engines were efficient enough that they had "Credits"
    I've been a marine tech since 1977 and I am factory trained for OMC Outboards and I/Os ,Mercury and Mercruiser, Volvo, BRP, Yamaha Suzuki, US Marine (Force) and Tohatsu.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast