RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lee Hand Loaders

Boolit Bub

Lee Hand Loaders

I am looking into some pistol caliber and 12 gauge hand tools. How do you like them? Any tips?

Boolit Master

I have used Lee Loader off and on since 1962 and will never be without one for each caliber I shoot. There is not a reloading machine made that will load more accurate ammo than the Lee with a hand loader that knows how to use it. They are a little slow, they do take more steps, but I load as much for relaxation and fun as for economy. my experience anyway, james

I don’t mind them, fun little back up system. I liked making a little travel kit out of my 45-70 loader, some boolits, brass, powder, etc does take some serious whacking every so often with a stubborn boolit.. watch that thumb
    A nice cigar makes a bad day good and a good day great.

Boolit Master
    I really like my lee loaders. I started loading for my ;303 Brit. I got my press and hardly ever use them now. I wanted to get more of them but I don’t use the ones I got very often.They are nice to have . I thought I would load at the range but never have. I probably would not ever sell them ether.

Boolit Grand Master

O got my first one in 1967 and it is still usable. Not very fast to load with but it is capable of making accurate ammo.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

They are neat. But I think a hand press and a regular die set serves better in every aspect for metallic. For shotgun I think they serve a niche for a person that doesn't want to have a dedicated shotshell loading space.

Boolit Master

It's what I started with when I was about 10 years old in the mid 1960's. While I currently have several single stage, turret and progressive presses I still use the Lee Loaders from time to time. And it's all I have for .410 shotgun.

Also, I buy them when I run across them used at a local dealer or gun shows. Just in case.

The one thing I'd suggest getting for pistol is one of the stand alone priming tools that seat the primer.

Also given the spotty availability of powder, a full set of dippers would be nice. Or a lever operated powder measure. Much easier to come up with one powder that works well in everything.

Then the system isn't that much slower than a single stage, if one is loading say 20 to 100 rounds in a batch and counts dies change time(I've never really timed this, so?).

If you have 2-4 hours a week to reload and want to shot 50 to 200 rounds a week, you likely won't be unhappy.

Something to also consider is if loaded ammo becomes widely available and you decide to just buy ammo again, you won't have an area setup to reload taking up room. Just a couple of shoe boxes on shelf in the closest waiting in reserve if need be.

Check availability for the cartridge you plan to load. If it's not in current production then expect to pay VERY dearly for a vintage loader. Look at prices on eBay.

Unless space is a problem or you are looking for a bug out loader I agree on a SS press and dies. Don’t forget the Lee whack a mole only neck sizes so if you load for more than one gun it could be a problem.

Banned
    a small arbor press makes them easy to use

Lots of good points here already stated by other posters. I started reloading in 1966 with a Lee Loader for .38 Spec., and over the years ended up with a small pile of them. I second the advice that a separate hand priming tool is a good idea, because sooner or later you'll set one off using the priming base that comes in the kit. The result will perhaps be forceful ejection of the priming rod up to the ceiling and singed finger tips. Wear safety glasses. Also, as above, I've found the Lee Hand Press to be more agreeable, as no whacking is involved and they turn out great ammo. You can use the Lee Ram Prime on the hand press with good results.

DG

Boolit Grand Master

Lots of good experience in the posts above. I too started reloading with a Lee Loader (1969) mostly out of curiosity (looking at a just fired 38 Special case, I thought "I wonder if I could reuse these?"). I now have 8 kits, along with 2.61 metric tons of reloading presses, die sets and assorted reloading tools and occasionally will get one out and pound out a few rounds. One of my favorite replies to a "too slow" post is this video; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeEl...annel=loasfast
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    I started with one for 12ga when I was 14 IIRC. My dad knowing that I didn't have a lot of money for store bought shells took me to a LGS and for my birthday bought me a Lee loader, a lb. of red dot, 5 lbs of shot, a box of primers (100) a box of OP and spacer wads and a Speer loading manual. Thus was the beginning of my addiction. I have since picked up 5 or 6 more whack a mole loaders as well a couple tons of other loading presses, dies, powder and other stuff. I don't even use the 410 one anymore as I use 444M cases to load 410 which doesn't require dies. The last two I bought weren't even for calibers I load but for $5 each I couldn't help my self. I know I'm an addict but I rationalize it with "look at all the money I save".

I think my anchor is slipping.

Boolit Master
    If you set off a primer, the priming rod protects your hand from the fire and the rod just sits there.No worries about the priming rod going anywhere.
    Its too heavy.
    Also, to me the primer pop was a little louder than a cap gun.
    Maybe wear ear plugs if you are nervous type. The one I set off I did on purpose just to see how loud it would be.
    It wasn't much.I have never had another pop on me and I have loaded thousands and thousands. I have a friend who set off every other primer he tried to seat. I showed him that if you align the tool in the seater groove it will never happen, but I guess there are some people who can't hammer a nail straight without it bends over for them and that's that.
    Not their fault, just the way their elbow swings and keeping your wrist straight.
    So if you can't do it, just concentrate on getting a table press that keeps everything lined up for you when you pull the handle. Don't sweat it. Some are good batters and good axe men and some aren't.
    Just have fun.
    That's the important thing.

Eye protection always.
    I wear glasses all the time to see.
    Last edited by Alferd Packer; 03-31-2021 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alferd Packer View Post
    If you set off a primer, the priming rod protects your hand from the fire and the rod just sits there.No worries about the priming rod going anywhere.
    Its too heavy.
    This is pretty accurate. Except the injury from jumping out of my shoes when the first one went off.

The next one wasn't as startling.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Yeah, the first primer that you have go off may make it necessary for a change of drawers.

I started my reloading career (if one can call it that) with a Lee Kit. I do not currently have one. I've always wanted to pick a couple of sets up, for nostalgia if no other reason. That, and as a teaching aid. Some of these young ones who've only known mass production progressives, have no clue how we old guys once did things, and it shows.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Banned
    very handy for load development at the shooting bench.

Boolit Grand Master
    I started my reloading career with a Lee 3" .410 loader. Followed the next year by a 2 3/4" 20 gauge kit. Never used one for metallic cartridges.

Forming and maintaining the crimp on a plastic shell is not easy with the Lee, maybe it works better with paper hulls?

My advice for shotguns is to forget the Lee and buy a Mec of most any model.

Robert

Boolit Master

The lee loaders is how i got started. 9MM and 45ACP. It gave me a start learning the basics. But the hammering killed my arthritis. Wasn't long before i bought my 1st press. I still have the loaders. Show and tell item. When im helping a friend learn loading.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast