RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Lee Hand Loaders

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Back to the bug out bag idea, I wonder how many of us are actually are doing this for real and how many are “sons of Walter Mitty”.
    Most "bug-out" ideas are by sons of Walter Mitty. Carrying some kind of compact reloading tool wouldn't be hard but carrying enough reloading components to make a difference in a SHTF life is dream land. Far better to carry a small rifle and small handgun with all the ammo you can pack in a sack already filled with food, clothing, axe, etc.

IF I had to run I'd choose a .22 RF for both weapons - a Ruger 10/22 rifle with rugged (iron) sights and a Mk. 3 pistol - along with a compact brick or three of low noise rounds that can kill small to medium size back country food animals pretty well and do it quietly; all without the hassels of trying to reload while living in a dank cave.

Boolit Master
    Some loaders seem to apologize for the LEE handloader saying it's too slow.
    Well you still only process each shell one at a time no matter what tool you use. j
    Comparing the LEE loader to 650 or 1000 Dillon is the only other way.
    Otherwise, using a bolted down press is still snail slow.
    But, pricewise now.
    You could buy LEE Loaders for every rifle and pistol you own and have money left over to buy components.
    It's not the tool that's slow.
    When you have used the LEE handloader as often as you like to shoot, you get pretty handy and quick at decapping and repriming and neck sizing using the LEE tools. Just adding a loading block with holes to hold cases will make things go quicker.
    Using the LEE Loader or the hand press kit or the bench bolted down press, It's all still- one cartridge case at a time.
    Snail slow.

Boolit Grand Master
    AP, this may be a "Ford vs Chevy" question, but I'm grappling with the "Lee Loader vs Lyman 310" question myself. So far, I'm much more comfortable using the latter rather than the former... but that may be because I started out using the 310 more. Come to think of it, I did load a few rifle rounds (30-40 Krag) with a black box Lee Loader sometime back about 1980, so I've used both for a pretty long time.

Even at home, I'm enjoying using the 9mm 310 tool, but I'm using the aluminum Lee priming tool with a M shell holder. I use another Lee priming tool for 32 S&W L through 327, but they often get loaded on a TruLine Jr, even though I have complete Lee Loaders in 9mm and 32 S&W L. I guess my Walter Mitty influence is a little garbled.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

AP, this may be a "Ford vs Chevy" question, but I'm grappling with the "Lee Loader vs Lyman 310" question myself.

Froggie
    Don't leave out team Studebaker with their hands burned and calloused from their Ideal #4s and #6s.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

I'm grappling with the "Lee Loader vs Lyman 310" question myself. Froggie
    Froggie: This is precisely because you don't have one of mine! You'd never go back if you did.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100464191.jpg   IMG_0275.jpg   100464227.JPG  
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Froggie: My lee loader use is a bit garbled also. I own several and take one out every once in a while just to toy with. Mostly I just use the sizer die part with my arbor press. Poor man Wilson hand die. The neck size dies for bottle neck rifle rounds make for very concentric brass. Gp

Boolit Master

Thing is what is a 'SHTF sitution' has a different definition to different people. When I think about it, for me it is more how most people react in a dangerous way and for how long they do to an unexpected event than anything else. Me having to sleep away from home in an uncomfortable way or eating different/less tasty food doesn't count to me.

But like I said, other people think of it differently.

Like I posted before, I'm an old man and if SHTF I'm making my stand right here at home. Fact is I know several young, strong shooters that know me and my reloading fixation and have stated that I better make room for company on that day "Cause we're comin' over" In truth I doubt I'll ever see that day but it sure doesn't hurt to have some back up just in case. Gp

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    Like I posted before, I'm an old man and if SHTF I'm making my stand right here at home. Fact is I know several young, strong shooters that know me and my reloading fixation and have stated that I better make room for company on that day "Cause we're comin' over" In truth I doubt I'll ever see that day but it sure doesn't hurt to have some back up just in case. Gp
    Now that sounds like a SHTF Plan I could get behind. If one or more of them also is a good cook, that would be nice too!
    "It aint easy being green!"

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456