WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationPBcastcoLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lee Hand Loaders

Thanks Mr Frog, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I started my reloading career with a Lee 3" .410 loader. Followed the next year by a 2 3/4" 20 gauge kit. Never used one for metallic cartridges.

Forming and maintaining the crimp on a plastic shell is not easy with the Lee, maybe it works better with paper hulls?

My advice for shotguns is to forget the Lee and buy a Mec of most any model.

Robert
    Given that you can get a press for .410 shells for cheaper than the Lee Loader in .410 is going for, I can see that. I've been looking into DIY/MacGyver solutions for loading the .410 more and more. Stupid shells are twice the price of 12 gauge, and my son got a .410 shotgun for Christmas...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Wow! My most recent purchase of a 38 Spl kit (admittedly one of the MRC iteration with the improved red plastic priming tool) cost me about $45-50 on flea Bay! I won’t even be able to get the parts to refill my current issue 45-70 set for $10. Ya dun good, pilgrim!

You wouldn’t have much trouble getting 8-10 times the original price of that 12 ga set if it is still complete and in good shape.

Froggie
    The 12gauge & 38 special are the old black lid box versions. Both complete & I purchased the 6 & 8 point 12 ga crimp starters shortly after I bought the12 ga kit and the black lid version of powder dippers. My dad’s buddy gave me 8 clay pigeon boxes full of paper hulls but when I tried loading plastic hulls needed the crimp starters. The 12 gauge has the aluminum adjustable shot scoop with black powder dram markings, I heard some had an adjustable powder scoop too.
    I Have several other kits in newer packages.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Boogieman View Post
    My Lee loader cost $9.95 , $3.75 for a can of 2400 $.79for 100 primers about $4.00 for 100 Speer boolits . That's all it took to feed my $87.50 Ruger BH. Good old days
    I also had a Ruger .357 but it cost $90 ! Back when you could take your own container(Ball jar, paper bag) and buy powder from the dealer's keg ! Did load some .38's with the LL and now own a bunch of 'em, but the .38 is the only one I actually used . Good learning tool for sure - but I much prefer the Square Deal now !!

Boolit Master

I have a few new ones and several older ones, my prized one is a 41 mag!

I do use them now, but only to seat and crimp pistol calibers or 45/70 when it’s a weird shape bullet that my regular dies don’t have a plug for. Still fun and gets some looks at the range.

Lefty
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master

They were a great way to get started reloading. The thing I liked best was sitting in the basement pounding away with my dad as he told us stories about his early years.
    Priceless memories.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SirNomad View Post
    Given that you can get a press for .410 shells for cheaper than the Lee Loader in .410 is going for, I can see that. I've been looking into DIY/MacGyver solutions for loading the .410 more and more. Stupid shells are twice the price of 12 gauge, and my son got a .410 shotgun for Christmas...
    I should have bought a MEC in .410 years ago but I didn't. I have a friend that has told me for two years he will bring some Pacific dies over but he hasn't. His grandkids have a .410 but they won't be shooting my small stash until I get those dies. They hit my newer .22 stash hard last year. I'm glad my preClinton bricks were locked up.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thinking back, the 20 gauge reloads worked okay in my then new 870, but the .410 didn't work so well in my H&R. They really needed to resized since the hell for stout H&R ejector would only kick them out about ˝".

If I were to start reloading .410 again, I would get a collet sizer for it like the Mec Super sizer.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    I know there were some Lee Loader kits that did full length sizing, but I don't know whether they made some for bottle neck cases or whether they were all for straight side pistol cartridges. I do know there were some Lee tools that were made to bell case mouths. Essentially they were short little tapered punches that were manually forced into the case mouth sufficiently to open it and allow a lead bullet to be inserted without shaving.

Froggie
    mequon sets
    Some of the Mequon sets full length sized. They were made after the LEE.
    They had a nylon handled primer seater and usually a primer pocket cleaner.
    They also included a flaring tool for the cartridge neck .The other end of the flaring tool removed the flare and put on a slight crimp.
    Everything but the primer seater was operated by a tap of a mallet same as the LEE tool.
    Many parts were the same.
    Mequon ran 1980-88.
    Also, all these LEE and Mequon sets instruct to lube the cases before sizing them.
    Over the years, I have found people who size without lube. They fail to read the instructions!.
    Last edited by Alferd Packer; 03-04-2021 at 04:09 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

For unbiased, true info go here; http://www.lee-loader.com/index.php
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    I only have one Lee Loader that popped primers more than one or two out of 50 or so loadings, my 44 Magnum kit. I fixed the problem by making sure the priming base was clean and the "movable washer", the spring loaded disc, is free and clean. I also chamfered the primer pocket of the cases, just like removing military primer crimps (not a lot, just maybe .008"-.010"). Fixed the problem and now I don't get any surprises...
    This ^^^^^ and starting the primer in the case before you try to jam it home. I have never set a primer off with a Lee Loader because I figured this out in like the first 3 minutes when loading my first .243's.

The only way you will set off a primer is to try to jam one in sideways. If the edge of the primer cup catches on the sharp edge of the primer pocket it will try to rotate the primer and cram it in the hole sideways.

Hitting it harder will not solve the problem !!!

Deburring/Chamfering the Primer Pocket will minimize the problem, but just being careful is more important. This is especially true when reloading ex Military brass that has a serious Primer Crimp, just chamfer it and be done with it.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I just picked up a 10 gauge 3.5” 10 lee loader from a member here. I figured I would probably load a half dozen to maybe 20 tops at a time. It’s missing the directions and load card. If anyone has a set of shotgun load directions and a 10 gauge 3.5” load card PM me. I do have another one coming in 2 7/8” for my Damascus 10 gauge SxS. Can wait! Figured it would be cheaper to buy lee loaders than a Mec Jr. I made a homemade reloading kit but figured it would be a lot nicer to have a lee loader. I was under the impression that the lee loader resizes the brass. My 3.5” lee loader does not. I bought the 10 gauge sizer that screws into the Mec. I figured I could tap the case in and out of it while balancing on the lee loader tube.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 03-15-2021 at 06:25 PM.

Boolit Master

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Say, uscra112-- there's a subject worth discussing. Now before someone starts yelling "hi-jack!" it is related to the subject of Lee Loaders. What I'm wondering about is so-called "bug out bags." Just how practical for such a purpose would a Lee Loader be? To be useful one would have to take along powder, bullets, and primers, plus a plastic mallet or other whacking device. Although I won't dispute the usefulness of the Lee Loader to take along to the range for a leisurely day of load development, it seems to me one would be much better served to just pack some extra loaded ammo if "bugging out." Personally, I'm not going anywhere; but the thinking in this area is interesting.

DG
    I find that travelling with my fire arm away from home to another state or area for a stay, it's a good idea to carry along my LEE loader if staying for awhile, just in case I wish to do some shooting on vacation or for recreation.
    I will always save my brass whenever and wherever I shoot so it's just a simple matter to maybe borrow or buy a small amount of powder, primers and bullets to reload expended ammo.Even your host may supply these supplies while they may not have the dies to fit your firearm. We reloaders know how to make do with what we have.
    Especially in today's climate of unavailability of ammo to buy.
    A LEE loader in a box along with your travelling piece and 50 or 100 loaded cartridges takes up small space.
    The reloading stuff needed as I repeat myself could be found with some luck for your rifle or pistol or what ever you thought to bring along.
    Just my way of thinking .
    It's nice to be prepared as I learned in the Boy Scouts and maybe had reinforced along the way in the Army and by lifes little unexpected popups and bumps in the road.
    Kind of crazy I know but one aluminum LEE bullet mold wouldn't be heavy or take up a lot of space either. But I draw the line there at lugging along anything extra.
    So There!
    One only LEE Handloader and an aluminum bullet mold just in case.
    No extra powder or primers or lead, all of which could be found if needed locally.
    Otherwise it is a small package of security for me personally.

Boolit Master
    If my idea appeals to you to take along just the bare necessities and you can't find a LEE Handloader , well you can get a LEE Hand Press which with a set of dies and a single favorite aluminum bullet mold wouldn't be too much extra and would accomplish the same thing.
    Any airline or train or bus line would not let you carry powder or primers but loaded ammo, a modest amount with the firearm is usually allowed.
    But the LEE tools by themselves are no cause for alarm and could be carried in personal luggage without the supplies needed for reloading. So while you would have to check your fire arm and ammo, the rest is usually seen as harmless.
    Even travelling by automobile, an inspection would not make you look like a terrorist packing explosives.
    It's all according to your mind set.
    Help is only a phone call away otherwise you are on your own or at their mercy.
    Whoever they happen to be at the time.
    Also, don't feed the bears.
    Enjoy your trip!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alferd Packer View Post
    I find that travelling with my fire arm away from home to another state or area for a stay, it's a good idea to carry along my LEE loader if staying for awhile, just in case I wish to do some shooting on vacation or for recreation.
    I will always save my brass whenever and wherever I shoot so it's just a simple matter to maybe borrow or buy a small amount of powder, primers and bullets to reload expended ammo.Even your host may supply these supplies while they may not have the dies to fit your firearm. We reloaders know how to make do with what we have.
    Especially in today's climate of unavailability of ammo to buy.
    A LEE loader in a box along with your travelling piece and 50 or 100 loaded cartridges takes up small space.
    The reloading stuff needed as I repeat myself could be found with some luck for your rifle or pistol or what ever you thought to bring along.
    Just my way of thinking .
    It's nice to be prepared as I learned in the Boy Scouts and maybe had reinforced along the way in the Army and by lifes little unexpected popups and bumps in the road.
    Kind of crazy I know but one aluminum LEE bullet mold wouldn't be heavy or take up a lot of space either. But I draw the line there at lugging along anything extra.
    So There!
    One only LEE Handloader and an aluminum bullet mold just in case.
    No extra powder or primers or lead, all of which could be found if needed locally.
    Otherwise it is a small package of security for me personally.
    Mr Packer sir, I’m curious about this statement, “No extra powder or primers or lead, all of which could be found if needed locally.” where is this “locally” of which you speak? It appears to me in this time and place, that if you go anywhere in the country without having components in hand (or at least prearranged) that any reloading you might do will be uncertain at best. Do you have some secret locality you can share with us where components are available (reliably if not readily) or is this advice only to be followed after things return to normal?

Regards,
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Most of my friends and acquaintences are shooters and reloaders.
    My comrades from my time in the Army are reloaders and most of my relatives have been in service and also have been hunters and exposed to reloading thru their association with yours truly.
    Therefore, anyplace I travel to or anytime I travel, I gravitate toward the gun friendly areas of the country.
    New York City, Washington, DC. and similar areas hold no interest for me although I have been to those areas in the past I probably will not go there again in this lifetime.
    All this means is I will be spending time with like-minded humans such as yourself who must likely have a store of supplies to see them thru these created shortages and if I decide there is an opportunity to do some shooting I will make sure that I have access to enough powder and primers and if bullets are unavailable, a search for some lead to cast some bullets.I would of course have to find a lead pot, a dipper, a suitable place to cast as well as a source of heat, flux etc.
    Just a challenge and fun for me.A chance to teach bullet casting to someone.But the powder needed to reload say my pistol.A small amount of shotgun powder of course.Primers a hundred.My friends would be able to easily provide as I would for them.
    I was born in the mid 1940S and the people I know from over the years are largely generous and are mostly prepared for as much as is possible.
    The younger generation that consumes all to the last round, to the last primer, are not the ones I expect to have anything available when needed.
    It's much like the story of the ants and the grasshopper.The ants are busy all summer storing food for winter when food will be scarce. The grasshopper eats well all summer but stores nothing up for winter. When winter comes, the ants have plenty to see them thru to summer again. The grasshopper who did not store any food for winter goes around starving and doing without.
    When I show anyone how to shoot, then how to reload.I also speak to them about laying in a supply when things are available. Some listen.Some don't.
    The ones that don't listen complain loudly and do without.
    Usually they are the younger ones, but not always. There are older ones who never seem to learn. I know who they are just like you do and maybe you are one who didn't learn.
    Anyway, I know from experience who will have something for me and who will not.
    They also know that I will do the same for them.
    Away from home, I can count on them and I would never take advantage of their generosity to wantonly waste powder and primers by spraying ammo across the countryside in a display of making a full on assault of targets on a shooting range.
    I have seen this done by the grasshoppers.Their guns are silent now and have been for awhile.
    You ask me if I have a secret storehouse or some connection that i can tap when needed.
    Before i tap my friends, i have always been offered the sharing of their shooting supplies. I am the same way with them.
    I don't have to explain that trust and friendship are built up over a period of time.
    So yes I have a storehouse but it's not secret. I won't try to explain it to you.
    If you have to ask, I don't know what to tell you except it's out there.
    I the locale where I happen to travel to I go to visit friends who can tell me where to find what I need and if not, they can supply me.I am not looking to stock up or buy large quantities. But simply a modest amount to refill a hundred cartridge cases. An amount I might add would be like a drop in a bucket for a pistol or even a rifle.
    I'm not looking to load all night on a Dillon 650 and manufacture several thousand rounds to feed an AR.
    But a simple LEE Loader and I will probably use a piece of scrap 2 by 4 if needed to operate the loader. The LEE aluminum mold would be the greatest fun because most of the reloaders I started are not bullet casters.
    To find some lead and get a pot and cast some bullets, to show them the simplicity would make everything about the visit worth while.
    They all buy their bullets and consider casting as a black art practiced by people with a lot of know how that is very hard to learn.
    That's all I know for now.
    I have a Ruger .32 H&R single action six inch bbl, adj sights.Also a LEE Loader in .32 Long. A .32 Tumble lube 90 grain aluminum mold swc LEE.

Mr Froggie I have enjoyed reading your postings especially about the top break .32s and the old reloading tools.
    I appreciate what you say about the scarcity of components, but I would barely need a half cup of Bullseye or 700 x or red dot to refill my cases.
    I know which of my friends stock several pounds of quick powders and also have several thousand primers stocked as they buy in quantity as I preached to them about long ago. They do not however cast their own bullets.They buy them in quantity also as well as brass.They are ex trap shooters hence the large amount of quick powder left.
    Some have several bags of shot left so there is a lead supply also.
    They acknowledge they are going to leave large amounts to their estates for their kids to deal with. Most of their kids are shooters and hunters also.
    I know these people are not hoarders and haven't had to but any powder or primers in a great while.Only bullets which they have stocked up on and while they still load and shoot, they are more conscious of the apparent loss of reloading components supply.
    So they shoot less often so as not to use up everything.
    Those of us on retirement pensions can't afford to keep stocked up like when we were fully employed.
    But we should hold back from shooting all our supplies up and maybe shoot less till we are able to find components at reasonable prices. Don"t be like the grasshopper.
    And yes , I know Frogs like grasshoppers
    .but for a different reason.
    Anyway, everyone keep posting and I hope the components come back soon for everyone.
    Last edited by Alferd Packer; 04-01-2021 at 08:44 PM.

Boolit Master
    I would like to add that my own nephews own several black rifles with a lot of different platforms that shoot jacketed bullets from .223 to the blackout calibers and the .458 Socom.
    They bought components last year and spent thousands of dollars on hi-speed
    reloaders and of course on brass powder and jacketed bullets.
    I told them to buy in quantity to save money in the long run.I also said to not let their supplies run low.If that looks like they are getting scarce, slow up the shooting till you restock.
    They all listened to the first part, but not the second.
    They shot up all their supplies as fast as they could load them and now they have useless guns and useless reloading machinery.
    They expect me to turn over my carefully kept up supplies that they let their kids, wives and girlfriends shoot up at the ranges without regard for tomorrow.
    They don't read the Cast Bullet threads because casting lead is something too dirty to contemplate and anyway they can't keep up with jacketed bullets anyway.
    It's like the old Chinese monk on Kung Fu told Kwai Chang Caine: " you have much to learn grasshopper."

I told them " When I stock up again I'll let you have my old stuff. Till then, I don't have anything to spare."

Boolit Grand Master
    I’m a bachelor so I’m not “directly” responsible for anyone but myself. I’ve got two grown nieces who I think of as the daughters I never had, so their families will be available to “take up where I leave off.” Fortunately, both they and their husbands are “gun people.”
    I have ammo and components dating back to some bought in the ‘50s, my family always having the attitude that we should always buy a little extra, and whatever additional amount we had in stock should now become my baseline. Call it hoarding if you wish, I call it being prepared.
    Mr Packer, we’ve never served together, but from your posts it seems I would enjoy your company... if your post-plague travels bring you through Central VA, let me know. I’m sure I can find a sleeve of primers and a cup of powder for you, and if you give me enough notice, I can probably find the right mould in my collection to cast you up some bullets as well. Afterwards we can sit around and tell lies about the good old days!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Mr Packer
    If you should happen to be traveling through the small town of Eureka MT, please stop by for a cup of powder or a flat of primers or boolits. This includes room and board for the night and range time at my humble range. I enjoy spending time with fellow shooter/casters and as everyone seems to be very busy I don't get the chance often.

I have three friends from Alaska that may be visiting this summer that I will be teaching to cast boolits, one I will teach to reload and will fix up with a starter press, dies, scale, loading manual, primers, powder and such. The one is younger and did not reload and has recently found out that things that he needs or wants may not be available when needed. Fortunately he is teachable.

Boolit Master
    Mister Froggie and Mister rbuck351,
    In checking my back trail I find I have been complimented by both of you gentlemen.

Yes, it gives me great pleasure and I do feel humbled by your invites.
    Thank you.
    I am looking to relocate and when I do, I will extend the same visiting privileges to you both when I am settled.
    Till then keep up the good work!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast